What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Little Bites/Tapas/Meze/Appetizers

When preparing these types food do you find the prep work

1] The same as any other meal you would prepare?

2] Easier and less time consuming?

3] More time consuming?

I am interested in making some new recipes I have found on-line and I am just wondering what to exspect.

Some of the presentations are simlpy beautiful. They seem like to me that they would be terribly time consuming though!

When you first make them they may seem time consuming but you will find ways to cut the time down considerably.

Ok Mama, I will dive in, but I figure I'll do it when I have plenty of time on my hands just in case! I love doing stuff like my fancy deviled eggs and I doll them all up [thus they usually disappear fastest] pretty like and it takes a little extra time to make the appearance so tempting, but it really is worth it. I figure these new recipes will be similar to that!

It's hard to tell you how long it will take - we all have our own speed at certain things. And you may be able to do much of the prep work ahead of time.

You're smart to do it when you have the time - it's the best way to judge.

It really depends, Cathy, on what you are making, and where you draw the line at prep work.

For instance, with my mini-hot browns, do we count the time it takes to bake the bread?

If you're making albandigas it takes some time to grind the meats and clean the grinder. Obviously, less time is needed if you start with ground meats.

Other than that, as a general rule, assembly time will take longer, precisely because you are combining lots of little pieces instead of just a few large ones. Each of those little pieces requires its own prep work.

For instance, Nino Grazianno's deceptively simple appearing Puree of Fava Beans with Scampi and Ricotta requires that you make the puree, that you make the scampi, that you julienne and saute speck (a specialized ham similar to---but maybe better---than serrano), etc. And then do the assembly.

You'll find that very often before you can make Z you have to make Y---and maybe W and X---first. With Cindy Pawlcyn's rather wonderful Mini Duck Burgerswith Shiitake Mushroom Ketchup and Chinese-Style Mustard sauce you have to make (these are separate recipes, now) Mongolian Marinade, shiitake mushroom ketchup, and mustard sauce. And then prepare the duck. Plus if, like around here, you cannot buy the mini-brioche buns, you have to make them.

Plus you'll spend more time on the overall presentation as well.

Also consider that much of the prep timing really depends on how adept you are with knives, and how sharp you keep them. In the latest Saveur magazine, Morimoto demonstrates making a fine julliene of daikon. He starts by cutting a thin (you literally can read through it) scroll. Typically, from one daikon, it runs 6 feet long. He then cuts that into 3" squares, piles them up in a deck, and makes a hair-thin julliene out of them. All in about the time I just took to tell you about it.

Obviously, you and I are not that good (Morimoto is the pre-eminent knife worker in the business, far as I'm concerned). But how much worse are we? What takes him just a couple of minutes would take you and me (if we could even do it) what? An hour? Two hours?

And of course, the more you do something the better at it you get. But when you're exploring the world of small bites, there is a diversity of techniques and you don't necessarily get the repitition you need.

Next question: How small is small? Mini-burgers are all the rage right now. And are considered part of the small-plates thing. So, too, are the finger pies I posted the other day. But they are gigantic compared, say, to Heinz Beck's Squid, Tomato and Punarelle Crostini, which sit on toast rectangles measuring a scant 1 x 3/4 inches.

Don't forget that with Tapas, Mezze, Dim Sum, etc., more than any other time, you eat with your eyes first.

But, basically, if you like to play with food, the art of the miniature may be for you. Personally, I love it., and am willing to put in the time it takes.

There is a major downside. When there's only two or three people involved, how do you geat it all? Most small plate recipes make enough for six or eight pass along samples (the idea is that each person in the group shares, and everyone gets several things to eat). But unless you want to make them small, but eat them as a main dish, then what? Just something to consider.

Another aspect is the collecting of serving pieces. I'm always on the lookout for dishes, racks, spoons, "shot" glasses, fancy picks and skewers and doodads that will meet my serving needs. For instance, with my seafood lollipops, I could just lay them out on a plate. But they look so much more appealing in a specal rack, that holds the sticks and displays them fully in an upright position. Putting things in cones is a big part of the small plates thing. But you have to have racks designed to hold them, or get creative with other devices.

Whew! That's probably a lot more than you wanted to know.

Last edited:
KYH,
Whew is certainly the word for it!!! But thank you for your info. Now I just have to devote and afternoon & probably the evening also to making some of them!

Approach the world of small plates the same way you would eat an elephant: one bite at a time.

In short, don't bite off more than you can chew. And remember, you will learn new techniques as you go along. But there is a definate learning curve.

If at any time it stops being fun, stop! That's the best advice I can give.

Thank you for the advice. I guess for myself there is no better place to start than just jumping in with both feet and giving it a try. As you said if it quits being fun, just stop! I have not got a problem with that! Morimoto is a pro with his knife that is for sure, he makes it look like a piece of cake! I can only dream!

He's the top, that's for sure.

I once had the great pleasure of using one of those hand-forged Japanese knives. An incredible pleasure. But the fact is, it's more the man than the tool. Nobody, and I mean nobody, comes close to him. An amazing virtuoso.

It really amused me when, on one of the Search for the Next Foodnetwork Star episodes they sent the contestents to him to demonstate their knife abilities. You can imagine his reaction when most of them didn't know what knife to use for which job. And the things they didn't know. One of them didn't know what julienne meant. And another wouldn't even try to filet a fish.

Be that as it may. In my next life guess who I'm going to be. :)

So, how about an update, Cathy. How you making out with the small plates thing?

Hey KYH,
Believe it or not I have not had time to dive in and begin! I am going to begin vacation on Fri. the 4th & will have 10 lovely days off!!! I plan on doing some "tiny bites" for the 4th and I will let you know how I like them. Then on Mon. we are off to a KOA for Mon. thru Fri. camping trip and I can't wait! They have a catch & release pond, I am going to catch and release them into my frying pan hee-hee, just kidding, but one can dream can't she!?!

So anyway I will be letting you know after the 4th. By the way I am using your recipe for the fingers that you made for your wife's Comp. get together, they just sound fantastic, I know they'll be good!

Hope ya' all have a very Happy 4th of July, Cathy

Well, if you ask real nice between now and then, I might just share my recipe for Reuben Gougere.

Could you imagine an Oysters Rockefeller in a little "bread basket" or a nice crusty "little cracker boat" that would be neat! Now I am getting the picture about using your imagination KYH, and I thank you for that!

Thanks for that and the in-put about Martha's book, of-late I have begun to really appreciate her more than I ever had thought possible! At the Dollar General they had some DVD's of hers for like $3.00 and I bought one for my 8 yr. old's teacher as an end of year gift (I packaged it up with pretty dish towels and colorful spatulas) and it made a neat gift. But anyway the DVD sounded interesting and I went back and bought myself one and the recipes in it are really quite wonderful! So I will check out her book you recommended.

Cathy, before buying the old version, check out her new appetisers book, also from Clarkson Potter.

I haven't seen it yet, myself. But it's supposed to be even better than the original.

Small Bite Reuben Puffs

for the gougere:

1 cup water
1 stick butter
1/cup all purpose flour
1/2 cup rye flour
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 eggs
1 cup grated or finely diced Swiss or Gruyere
Caraway seeds

for the filling:

1 pkg (8 oz) cream cheese, softened
3-3 1/2 ouz cooked corned beef, finely diced
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 tbls finely chopped onion
1 tsp spicy brown or horseradish mustard
1/8 tsp garlic powder
1/2 cup packed kraut, well wrung & chopped

Preheat oven to 400F.

In a saucepan over medium heat, bring water and butter to a boil. Add both flours, garlic powder and salt all at once. Stir until a smooth ball forms. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated (wet shiny look will disappear). Mix in the grated cheese.

Drop the batter by rounded teaspoonfuls, 2 inchs apart, onto a lightly greased baking sheet. Sprinkle with caraway seeds. Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden. Remove to wire racks to cool.

In a mixing bowl combine all the filling ingredients. Mix well. Split puffs. Add filling. Serve.

While looking for something else I noticed that Betty Groff, in one of her cookbooks, has a recipe for Reuben Croquettes. I'm thinking a nice small plate presentation might be to lay out a miniatureized true Reuben (remove the crusts from the bread, make the Reuben, then divide in quarters), one of my puffs, and one of her croquettes to make a Reuben Plate.

BTW, if you're unaware of it, choux paste is one of the most creative things going. A basic recipe is the same as above, but using all white flour, and adding a tablespoon of dry mustard. What I do, instead of dropping them by spoonfulls, is to pipe the mixture. I make different shaped puffs---circles, triangles, crescents, squares---and use a different filling for each. For instance, chicken & gorgonzola salad might go in the crescent; ham & cheese in the triangle; the Reuban spread in the circle; barbecued duck in the square. They all go out on a serving platter for guests to help themselves.

Last edited:
One of the most creative ingredients available for small bite enthusiasts are won-ton wrappers and egg role skins. The ways you can use them are unlimited.

For instance, using round won tons (if you can't find them, use a cookie cutter to make them), push a wrapper into a mini-muffin tin. A shot glass will help you get them started evenly. Bake in a hot oven until they crisp up and change color slightly. Cool on a wire rack.

This won-ton cups last two days longer than forever if sealed in a zipper bag. Fill them with whatever strikes your fancy.

Use the won ton wraps as the wrapper for pot stickers. To make fried won tons (you remember my crab-stuffed recipe, with the peach gastrique). As a substitute for ravioli dough. To bake instead of fry, fill the wrapper. Dip in egg wash, then into Panko crumbs. Bake. I make a killer mushroom puff that way.

When you're making won ton cups, and have the oven on anyway, use your cookie cutters to create all sorts of "crackers" from egg role skins. Don't forget decorative stuff while you're at it. For instance, using a corrugated cutter, make a disk. Then use the next smaller size cutter to cut out the center. You'll wind up with a large ring and a small cracker. Bake them at the same time as the cups.

If you want to take the time, make stencils in shapes you like and cut the skins to those designs. How about a fish-shaped cracker holding smoked salmon, for instance? Or a scallop shell holding a tiny portion of Coquille St. Jaques? Or......

Depending on desired end result you can leave won ton wraps square, or make them round. Use just one, folded over on itself. Or use two to make a larger bite.

Like I say, unlimited possibilities.

Cathy, if you're going to make those little bread boxes, something to keep in mind: It is much easier to work with a Pullman loaf than a standard one, if you can buy one (or if you have the special pan needed to bake one).

You start by cutting the loaf the long way, then into strips and cubes. With the Pullman, you get greater productivity for the same amount of work, is all.

Cutting things like that, incidentally, is one of the very few times an electric knife comes in handy.

Thanks for all the wonderful and inventive tips! By the way I love my electric knife and am tickled pink to have another use for it, was given to me as a gift!

tools of the trade

If you're going to get involved much in small bites, one of the best tools you can buy is a multi-sized melon baller, or several of them in different sizes.

So much of this involves hollowing out small items. Those bread boxes, for instance. And small fruits and veggies (cherry tomatoes, baby pattypan squash, cukes, zucchini, etc, etc.). Melon ballers are ideal for this.

Dishers (spring loaded servers, like ice cream scoops) come in about 40 sizes, and are also ideal for size and portion control. My most commonly used one is a two-tablespoon size. I didn't buy it from a professional supplier, however, so don't know the number (dishers are made in sizes from 1/2 ounce to 40 ounces, and are numbered to represent the number of ounces. For instance, a quarter cup size would be a 4).

Cookie cutters, as I've hinted, in assorted shapes and sizes are great tools for small plating. Not only to cut things, but to be used as molds. I also use various diameters and lenghs of PVC tubing as molds. And, of course, you can always buy ring and square molds from pastry supply shops.

Keep in mind that presentation is everything with small bites. As much as possible you want each to look exactly like all the others of that type.

I also haunt party stores and the like, collecting fancy picks and short skewers. Although I much prefer other ways of doing things, sometimes a pick is the only way to hold things together. The pick, itself, should therefore become part of the presentation.

A mandoline is almost de rigeur in many cases. If you're going to be slicing baby vegetables, for instance, a mandoline is the only way to assure thin, even slices. Ditto to make vegetable chips, whether potato or other root veggies. Just be careful using it---a mandoline is the most dangerous tool in the kitchen, even more dangerous than a dull knife.

If you can find one, a mini-bun pan is worthwhile. I have one I'd bought from King Arthur. But they're out of stock, on what looks like a permanent basis. And I haven't been able to track them down elsewhere. The problem is, most recipes make enough dough for 24 mini-buns. But the rack is only 12 up.

A cake decorating kit, and a selection of larger piping tips, is invaluable, as you'll be doing a lot of fancy applications of sauces, dips, etc. Squeeze bottles also make sense for this purpose.

As with ingredients and techniques, this should just be a start to getting your juices flowing. You're imagination will let you see all sorts of uses for tools and found objects designed for other purposes.

Back