What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Herb replacement

C

crazy4food

I am at a loss. Went to the store and forgot to pick up Basil. Is there another herb that I can use that would be just as good in an Italian antipasto salad?

Hi C4F,

I am wondering do you have a good Italian Seasoning Blend? It would work instead of just plain basil, as it does indeed have basil in it.

Maybe MamaM can help you out here, I am at a loss.

I would not hold back from making it just use a parsley, & a little thyme & oregano, and you should be OK!

I do have a Pesto sauce, do you think that that would work?

A tad of marjoram, a pinch of oregano, chives, or try this for various salads:

Asparagus Marjoram

Avocado Dill Seed, Oregano

Bean Oregano, Summer Savory

Beet Caraway Seed, Chervil, Green Dill, Thyme

Carrot Celery Seed, Ginger (ground)

Celery Fennel Seed, Mint

Chicken Basil, Chives, Marjoram, Saffron, Tarragon, Thyme

Cole Slaw Caraway Seed, Chervil, Chives, Green Dill, Mint, Mustard Seed, Tarragon, Thyme

Cucumber Basil, Chervil, Chives, Green Dill

Fruit, mixed Basil, Chervil, Cinnamon (ground), Ginger (ground), Marjoram, Mint, Nutmeg, Parsley, Rosemary, Tarragon

Green, mixed Chervil, Coriander, Fennel Seed, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Summer Savory, Tarragon

Orange Cardamom (ground)

Pear Cardamom (ground), Nutmeg, Poppy Seed

Potato Celery Seed, Chives, Dill Seed, Green Dill, Mustard (ground), Parsley, Sesame Seed, Summer Savory

Seafood Basil, Celery Seed, Chives, Fennel Seed, Green Dill, Marjoram, Oregano, Parsley, Saffron, Tarragon

Spinach Basil, Chives, Marjoram

Tomato Basil, Chervil, Chives, Parsley, Summer Savory, Thyme

Tuna Celery Seed, Chives, Marjoram

Vegetable (mixed) Green Dill, Celery Seed, Chives, Parsley, Summer Savory

Waldorf Mint

Thanks for all your help. I ended up using the pesto sauce. It tasted great. I would definitely make this salad again.

Yes, and it was by chance that I remembered having it. I have a really small kitchen, so every inch of cupboard space is full. I opened a door and there was my little bottle right out in front :) Yeah!!!

In reading your profile I read that you like crafts, there are many of us here that like crafts. My outlet is painting. What type crafts do you enjoy doing?

People, this time of year, basil should be one of those things you cannot run out of.. I bought a packet of seeds and planted them all over the place. It is growing everywhere around here and smells wonderful.

Dried basil can never really compete with fresh. I usually keep one or two of them inside during the winter too. Just keep pinching the buds off and don't let it flower and that plant will live quite a while..

Hey Jafo,
But not everyone grows it don't ya know! It does smell so good growing fresh though! I love mine, and thanks for letting us know to keep the buds pinched off.
I have dill that is trying to bud out, should I do the same with it also?
Please advise, Cathy

Hey Jafo,
But not everyone grows it don't ya know! It does smell so good growing fresh though! I love mine, and thanks for letting us know to keep the buds pinched off.
I have dill that is trying to bud out, should I do the same with it also?
Please advise, Cathy

With most plants, whenever you pinch buds (where do you think the term "nip it in the bud" came from :) ) it generally causes the plant to go ape crap and try again by producing more foliage. It is just a mechanism for survival of the species. If plants didn't do this, they would easily go extinct.

Once basil is pollinated and goes to seed, it loses most of its oil and eventually just dies out. This is the same for many herbs and plants.

Thank you for letting me know!

I certainly never really gave the "nip it in the bud" saying that much thought. But now that you mention it geez what a "knuckle head" I am! It only makes good sence! LOL

Plus, if you let it go to flower, it turns bitter. Also true about many herbs.

Cathy,
Sorry took so long to reply to your question. I have quite a few, I get bored easily. I have a couple counted cross stiches that I'm working on, I crochet, scrap-book/stamping, and do some sewing.

Back