What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mama..Bolognese sauce

jglass

Can you let me have your recipe for Bolognese sauce please?
I saw Giada making it on The Food Network and I have come to realize her Italian recipes are not as authentic as I thought in the beginning.
Jon and I would love to try the sauce if I can get a recipe from you for it.
Thanks.

Mine is quite basic - ingredient-wise but it does take a bit of time. Forgive me for not measuring - I usually don't.

Heat your skillet, add your butter and oil (a couple tablespoons of each), heat. Cook a couple slices of bacon and a couple slices of proscuitto (all chopped). Add your chopped celery (1 or 2 ribs), onion (medium) and carrot (2 small)- cook until tender but do not brown. Add your ground meat (beef, veal, pork in equal amounts - 1/3 to ½ lb each ) and brown well. Add fresh minced garlic.

The fun part - you are going to add about 1 ½ c. milk - ¼ c. at a time, giving it a chance to be absorbed. Do not cover. This process will take over an hour.

Once it s all absorbed add salt and pepper and a bit of nutmeg; stir in about 2 cups tomatoes - peeled and chopped or canned and keep the heat low, stirring for another 45 minutes.

Here's the nice part of this recipe - you can cool completely, refrigerate overnight, skim the fat off and heat to use with your pasta.

I prefer to drain my meat well when frying.

Either way is fine.

We are not wine people in my house - many add chicken stock and wine after the meat has browned; some use beef broth, some use heavy cream - it's all preference. You can add tomato paste, or you can add marinara to this as well. You can omit the bacon and proscuitto or just the proscuitto - it's all in what you want.

You will have to play around with this. I do it - I use what I've got when I got it.

Hope this helps.

Let me know how you like it! And don't be afraid to try it all different ways - using the different broths (if you are using broth) with or without the bacon and/or proscuitto, etc.

This sounds great.
Will be trying it very soon.

What is the difference between ragu and bolognese?

Ragu is a term for meat-based sauce.

Ragu bolognese is a term for the sauce which is made in Bologna - northern Italy.

Bolognese sauce had very little tomatoes/tomato paste in it compared to other sauces.

And of course - thanks to the "tweaking" by those that don't know any better - bolognese sauce has been changed so much that they don't know what real bolognese is. Bolognese is MEAT-BASED - some ruin it with too many veggies and too many tomatoes, etc.

Your bolognese sounds heavenly, mama! Thanks 4 indulging us w/ your method...

Did anyone see the piece in last month's "Saveur" regarding store-bought "Ragu" spaghetti sauce? It was interesting. Essentially it was "exposing" the use of jarred, store-bought sauce in some homes- usually as a beginning base from which to add ingredients to "make it one's own". I got a chuckle in that it seemed everyone who followed this method seemed to place the empty jars in the trash can in the garage or out in the back-yard before company arrived! I must admit- I too do this w/ certain items- but don't even ask- my secret will go to the grave with me!

Mama- have you ever seen the cookbook from HBO's "The Sopranos"? The recipes to me look mighty fine, but mainly as a fan of the show, I just enjoy the fun & meaty writings & ramblings!

CAG -

You're welcomed!

I hate phonies - meaning - those that "doctor up" something to make it "their" recipe by using jarred/boxed ingredients. It really ticks me off.

Believe it or not - I have a very busy schedule and I have never been able to see the program The Sopranos. I figure that one of these days I'll be able to pick up a DVD collection of the complete series.

I have not seen their cookbook - I don't pay attention to too many Italian cookbooks because some of them are just not "Italian"! But one of these days I would like to browse that one.

I just love "authentic" Italian recipes put together by and Irishman that visited the country and then took the recipes/ideas home and played with them to make an "authentic" Italian cookbook! What a joke!

Hey - it's Sunday - I won't get started...........

I was never one for much TV and in Alaska I worked at many locations for about 10 years that didn't have reception at all. So I went years without seeing movies, weekly programs, etc. that were very popular here in the lower-48.

Finally about the last 2-3 years I was up there we finally got satellite tv in even the most remote corners of the state where my work-places were. At the camps I worked at co-workers and members of the camp populations that we served always had boxed-sets of whole seasons of programs that we traded back and forth, and that's how I became introduced to "The Soprano's" and many other shows like "24", "Golden Girls", "NCIS", "Bones", "Frasier", "Will & Grace", "Keeping Up Appearances" , "The Sheild", etc. (I also have complete cherished collections of my three all-time FAV tv shows "All in the Family", "I Love Lucy" and "The Andy Griffth Show".)

It's SO nice to watch several episodes back-to-back on DVD without commercial interruption and without having to delay to learn the outcomes of exciting cliff-hangers!

Anyway- "The Sopranos"? I LOVE the show- and in all honesty, I still have not seen the final season! The 2 cookbooks? I have them both- given to me as gifts, and I truly can't answer about their authenticity since various regional Italian cuisines are not my "first" cuisine, but they are both medium-sized books that I find lavishly photographed and the contributions of tales and recipes by each of the show's characters makes for a really fun read. They belong to that sub-category of cookbook that one can enjoy reading from cover-to-cover much as they would a novel. Also- it helps greatly and adds to the experience to "know" the show and it's characters.

Amazon.com: The Sopranos Family Cookbook: As Compiled by Artie Bucco: Allen Rucker, Michele Scicolone: Books

Amazon.com: Entertaining with the Sopranos: Carmela Soprano, Allen Rucker, Scicolone, David Chase, Ellen Silverman: Books

Last edited:
Ragu Bolognese from tradition

Hi all,

looking at some of Mama's post i'm a bit afraid of getting on her way ;), but i couldn't resist, hence sorry in advance Mama.

Even if I'm italian, i will not pretend i know the original old ancient recipe, because we italian never write anything and each family has his own tradition, nevertheless we always have scholars or curious passionates researching roots of everything :D, so i gave a look around to see and confirm my knowledge, and surprise i got a lot of infos pretty new to me.

Let me keep you waiting a bit more, i want to make a small digression coming from the heart, Bologna is a really beautiful city, and especially full of lovely people, "but" they are nice, altruist, with a great feeling for social responsibility (honestly a quite rare peculiarity in italy) and food lover... oh yeah great food lover!
Due to all this nice characteristic they can't be considered people from north of Italy, and especially they do not consider themselves north Italians. yes yes i know that looking on the map you might argue that "Bologna is in north of Italy", but to us italians, the lower half of italy is the south, and the upper half is split in two, the center where Roma, Firenze e Bologna are, and the north which we will not waste time on :D.

Coming back to the recipe i found that mine was someway accurate but considered a modern version, the ancient one had some differences mainly making it more greasy (and probably more tasty too).

So let's start
Ingredients:
5-600g of Tagliatelle (nobody in italy will use spaghetti, and especially someone from Bologna, Bologna is the homeland of egg pasta like tagliatelle and tortellini, while the south is homeland of dry pasta, like spaghetti, penne, and so many others)
300g of beef's diaphragm (in Bologna called "cartella di manzo", it's a muscle so it stands the long cooking time, but it's has as well a good percentage of fat, so nowdays it is often swapped with a less fat cut)
150g of bacon (pancetta, today we often omit it using 2 TBS of extra-virgin olive oil)
50g of butter
50g of onions
50g carrots
50g celery
200g milk (not all the recipes are listing milk, i never tried using it too)
5 tsp of tomato paste (this is sun dried tomatoes purée)
1 ladle of stock or hot water
1/2 glass of red wine (roughly 100g)

Preparation:
Chop finely onions, carrots and celery, chop the bacon and put in a pan, with gently heat and let the vegetables soft and the bacon release its flavour.
Raise the heat and add the grained meat (in old time the didn't grain, just chop it), when the meat is colored pour the wine and let the alcohol evaporate, then put the tomato paste and a ladle of broth to melt it, turn carefully, lower the heat, cover and let cook for about 2 hours adding milk (or stock or water if you don't want to use milk) when it gets too dry.

After, cook your pasta (al dente) and mix it with sauce, add few table spoon of parmiggiano (another gift of Bologna's region) and

Buon Appetito!
Pasta e Sfizi

Last edited:
Each family has their own way of making dishes - and they are all "originals" in their eyes. As you can see - mine was not a written recipe - just how I do it. I do find it hysterical at family gatherings when they fight over who has the "original" recipe!

i totally agree with you, the recipe i knew was coming from my mother which i doubt she has ever seen Bologna :) that's why i enjoyed doing a bit of research and share it with you

i don't get too hysterical during the kind of fight you mention, because listening to all this variation some time you learn a good trick or principle, or an interesting variation (and if they don't argue about food, they will fight on another argument just less interesting :D).

It's funny- regional differences & peculiarities are present in any cuisine- but it appears that Italian cuisine has "fallen victim" to (or benefitted from?) more compound variances than perhaps any other cuisine that I know of... Italian food is loved the world over and in most circles- and I have observed that for every "classic" rendition of any particular dish- there are several more different versions of the same "classical" dish. While this can be confusing- I also find it liberating (and refreshing)!

Region Definition

perhaps because in italy each kitchen is a region, well sometime the region includes the dining room too, but only if it is not too crowded:D

RE: "perhaps because in italy each kitchen is a region, well sometime the region includes the dining room too, but only if it is not too crowded"

Ha! A lot like the U.S., Luca... Imagine a place w/ many regions and climates- made up of peoples themselves from many regions and climates! It's gets CRAZY sometimes! How wonderful to live in a place where so many different cuisines make up one's "native" cuisine! Your region has always been high on my list of places I'd like to experience...

I do know that each Italian kitchen is ORIGINAL, the RIGHT RECIPE, the WAY IT SHOULD BE DONE, etc.

Even in my own family - I've seen how many "variations" there are to the ORIGINAL recipe - I just laugh my butt off at them all.

And they do find something to bicker over - and any topic is fine!

Back