What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello, I'm new

A

allen.musicman

Hello, I am new to this forum. My wife of 33 years and I are empty nesters. I do the cooking for both of us. I make our bread, since it is more economical. I have developed my own recipe with the bread machine for a loaf that uses steel-cut oats. It has now become our daily bread. I look forward to learning from the community.

Allen

Allen,

We welcome you and are excited to have another cook join us. I love and have learned so much from this forum, I know you will like it too! And CONGRATS on 33 yrs! How wonderful!

CCCathy

Welcome, Allen,

Hope you'll be posting as well as reading. We do have a bread forum, donchaknow? Maybe your oatmeal bread recipe would fit there.

Thirty three years, huh? We'll you guys are still newlyweds, so there's plenty of room to grow (Friend Wife and I just entered the 42ned year of a trial marraige, and we're starting to think that, maybe, it's going to work out). But it's a similar deal. I do all the cooking.

Hmmmmm? I wonder if there's a correlation between men who cook and marraiges that last?

Thank you for the welcome!

Thank you, for the warm welcome! KYH, your observation about men being the cook may have merit! At least we are two marriages that support your observation :)

Hi and welcome to the forum Allen.

My husband and I have been very happily married for almost ten years and living together for ten already. My husband never cooked anything. The microwave and McDonalds were his best friends before we met. I am the family cook. When the rest of the family discovered I could cook I got drafted to really be the family cook. Im the designated cook for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. I get off easier than most however..the most I have ever cooked for at once has been 16-20 people.

Last edited:
Contented Cooks

I think that a contented cook for the family is probably more important than which spouse cooks. A contented cook can be generous in heart and the food prepared is given and received as gifts of love.

Welcome, Allen.

I too am new here- I arrived after spending time at a couple of other such foodie-forums. For the record- I am finding this one the ultimate! The folks are perfectly generous in their sharing, are warm and "real" and the info is fun, approachable and accessible to various skill levels.

BTW- what's even more important than who cooks is- who cleans-up!

Clean - many hands make work light

Yes, the clean up is shared. It goes faster and the consideration shown to help the other is a rich sharing.

I must say just for the record: A man cooking is in my eyes the Sexiest, Most Alluring sight in all the world!!! For some reason I find it mighty special!!!

P.S. Take a hint all you young single dudes!!!

Last edited:
Actually, Cathy, I was thinking you're certainly welcome to come grovel at my god-like feet.

I mean, I'm a man. And I cook. And.....well, two out of four ain't bad. :D

Men in the kitchen HOORAH!!!

:D Not bad at all :D

But..... I am wondering why that saying "The way to a man's heart is thru his stomache" can not apply to a woman as well? I for one not only believe it can, but know it can by experience!

I just simply think it is so wonderful that men are cooking and cleaning and proud to do so! Too many of us women for too long [myself included] were made to feel as though our role as domestic homemaker was somehow inferior to the role our male counterpart played in the scheme of things.
I guess for me it is a heartwarming sight to see a man at the stove & enjoying it, and good at it too! And for some reason it makes me feel less inferior. I'll never understand why us women for so many yrs. [if we chose to be stay at home Mom's] were made to feel guilty and like we were inferior somehow. That is one reason I like life right now in this era, because we are finally able to feel good about being in the home [male or female] and that is so liberating and beautiful, I rejoice in it! And that may just be why I find guy cooks the ultimate in Masculinity and downright SEXY!:) Because thay are real men & know it & show it & proud of it!!!

I was in a wonderful relationship for 11 years that just ended amicably this past Spring. I've spoken of Arturo often here and elsewhere- he's a great person. Although we cooked/managed side-by-side as a team in equal positions at Alaskan resorts and industrial work-camps for several years, when we first met he was the head housekeeper in charge of a staff of 100 maids, housekeepers and cabin-staff aboard a cruise-ship. His background was cleaning- and let me tell you- Art is a fantastic housekeeper- just amazing to watch! He is thorough and fast and had a system that was quick and unbeatable. I never had trouble cooking or washing mountains of dishes/scrubbing dozens of pots because I've done it all my life and I could knock out a barn-full of grimy baked-on pans in a heartbeat without breaking a sweat- but that man was the same way with detailing an apartment top-to-bottom, and it was amazing to see. Combine that w/ his sultry, pouty, great Latin looks and DAMN! I ain't ever been so affected by seeing someone shampoo a carpet, or sealing a walnut parquet floor! It was indeed a fulfilling and rewarding thing to observe!(Hee-Hee!) It's just amazing watching someone you care for deeply "do their thing" whether it be working on a car, gardening, painting- whatever. Especially if it's something you yourself dislike doing or aren't nearly as good at. Art used to look at me across the breakfast table on the lanai over coffee and say, "Kev- cook for me" and I knew he liked watching me cook as much as I liked watching him polish a marble fireplace mantle... and that is a wonderful motivater... made one truly want to whip up the yummiest breakfast ever for their companion! Makes one's heart all warm and cozy... (okay- I'll stop!)

Last edited:
Yep, being able to appreciate the talents of our loved ones is such a real gift!!! I think that is the root of love "appreciation" for the other person reguardless of the task they have undertaken! And it is those day in day out chores that we certainly can over-look and begin to take for granted!

Last edited:
So funny... I whistle a lot while I work- just a habit I've always had- and I do it absent-mindedly, without even thinking about it. Once, Arturo told a friend that that was one thing he loved about me- that I could whistle while frosting a cake, cutting up a chicken or polishing silver. God, that made me feel treasured & adored. No feeling has ever matched that one, for me! I wish that feeling on EVERYONE!

(My Dad whistles while working on his truck or while planing shavings from a swollen pine door on saw-horses out in the garage- he must be where I get it from!)

Joyous Work

Any of our chores can be drudgery or joy. To whom we are giving our effort, often determines our inward disposition. You are blessed to be able to whistle while you work. I listen to songs in my memory. Sometimes I will hum or sing (only when no others are around). :)

>are real men & know it & show it & proud of it!!!<

Gender-based roles have been the bane of humanity for 10,000 years. We're finally reaching the point, though, we're we are not defined by our Dna.

I've always objected to it. And it was the cause of my writing a book author---the only time I've ever done so.

Y'all remember the book "Real Men Don't Eat Quiche?" I felt compelled to point out that real men ate anything they damn well pleased, and only an insecure mamma's boy would feel any differently.

Never heard back from him. Who'd a thunk it.

Back