What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dried Green Bean Help Please

jglass

I have been trying to look this up onlione but have not found much.
I remember my Mom's folks using a needle and thick thread to hang green beans to dry. We called them leather britches and they were so good. Ours always hung in a dry room or out in the smoke house til we wanted to eat them.
My question is if I dry green beans in my food dehydrator what would be the best way to store them? Would the freezer be the best?
I remember my Mom soaking them in water overnight then cooking them for hours on the stove with ham hocks or bacon. I would love to have them again.
It wont be long before we have alot of green beans in the garden. I appreciate any help you guys can give me.

Oh yeah..I also read that green beans should be blanched before drying to stop enzyme activity, which causes "off" flavors and browning during storage. Is that correct?

Last edited:
Know what's weird, janie? Now that you mention it- I have vague memories of seeing this too at my grandparent's place and also at aunts'/uncles' homes, but I never knew what it was, or what they were trying to accomplish by the process. I think I just thought perhaps they were drying the beans to seed for planting the following summer... I never realized they were being dried to preserve for later cooking. I'd be curious to know more if anyone has any helpful info.

I remember stringing them onto this elastic like thicker thread with my Mom when I was a kid.
I dont even think they washed them before hand unless they were super dirty.
When they wanted to cook them they just took down a couple of the strings and soaked them in water overnight and the cooked them like I said before.
My little sister in particular is craving some leather britches. I would love to be able to dry her and I both some. Im thinking it would be ok to put them into some good air tight bags or jars to store. Im not sure at all about freezing.

Ahhhhh, Leather Britches.

The technique of drying beans by stringing and hanging goes back to colonial days, and has come downto us unchanged. The term "Leather Britches," however, dates only from the War of Northern Aggression. At least it doesn't appear in print before then.

Last time I saw it done the traditional way was before my adoptive granny, Sarah Lou Back, of Slade, passed away. She would make them every year, and hang them from the roof of her covered porch. Each of the strings was six or seven feet long, and stretched to fit the entire opening between roof and railing. If you drove buy you'd get the impression she had some kind of curtains hanging because there were so many strings.

Anyway, Janie, you do not have to blanch the beans first. Stopping the enzyme action that way is important only when freezing them. Drying and canning do it as part of their processing. You can wash the beans if you want to, but most people don't bother; especially if they're using stick beans.

When drying beans in the dehydrator I would consider two things: First, after tipping and tailing (and, if necessary, stringing) the beans, at least break them in half. Even better is to treat them like snap beans right from the get-go. Second: You will be better off if you choose a stringless variety for Leather Britches because no amount of drying, soaking, and chewing will make the strings edible.

From my notes:

DRYING VEGETABLES

SELECTING, CLEANING, AND CUTTING

You may be surprised to learn that a great many vegetables can be dried successfully at home. Be sure start with fresh, mature produce. Harvest or buy on the amount you can dry at one time - 4 to 6 pounds if you plan to use your oven. Wash all dirt off the vegetables and cut out any bad spots.

Cut the vegetables into pieces of a suitable size. Keep in mind that thin pieces will dry faster than thick one. For example, french-cut green beans take less time dry than cross-cut beans.

BLANCHING

Almost all vegetables need to be blanched (scalded in boiling water a short time before drying. Blanching stops the enzyme action, which drying cannot stop. If vegetables are not blanched, enzymes will destroy the color and flavor during drying and storage. A few vegetables such as mushrooms, okra, and onions do n need to be blanched before drying.

Blanching also protects certain nutrients and bel reduce the drying time somewhat. Some nutrient however, are lost during blanching in boiling water b cause they dissolve into the water. Steam blanching takes more time, but fewer water-soluble nutrients a lost. To minimize the loss of nutrients, blanch only f the required length of time. But don't underblanch; the enzymes will not be inactivated, and the quality of the dried vegetables will be inferior.

Blanch the cut pieces of vegetables in a large amou of water. Follow the blanching times for freezing vegetable. Chill in ice wa ter or in cold running water the same length of time recommended for blanching. Drain well and blot the pieces dry on paper towelling to remove excess moisture. Save the water. It will add flavor and valuable nutrients to your soups, stews, and gravies.

DRYING

Spread the prepared vegetables in thin layers on the drying trays. Then stack the trays in the oven or dryer. Make sure to leave at least 1 inches between the trays so that the air can circulate freely around them. If the trays are too close together, drying will take longer.

If you are using an oven, keep the door open slightly and use an electric fan. A food dryer is equipped with a fan for ventilation, so close the door. Keep the oven temperature at 140 degrees F. (60 C.). Stir the pieces of vegetables about every half hour so that all surfaces are exposed to the air. Also, shift the trays around on the racks periodically because the temperature inside the oven varies somewhat from top to bottom and from front to back.

Vegetables take from 4 to 12 hours to dry. The length of time depends on the kind and amount of food being dried, the method you use (oven or food dryer), and the drying temperature. When sufficiently dry, the vegetables will be hard and brittle. You can test them by hitting a piece with a mallet; the piece should shatter.

SPECIAL HANDLING OF VEGETABLES

Mature beans, peas, and soybeans may be fully or partly dried on the vine.

Carrots, turnips, parsnips, rutabagas, and potatoes are better stored fresh than dried. They can be kept for several months in a cellar or basement.

Broccoli and asparagus are better frozen than dried because freezing helps preserve their fresh flavor and texture.

Combinations of vegetables can be dried at the same time. just remember that vegetables have different drying times, so some will be dry before others.

Vegetables with a strong odor should not be dried at the same time as other vegetables because those with a mild flavor may absorb the strong odor.

Salad seasoning ingredients should be dried separately, then mixed and stored together for delightful blends. A good mix for salads might include tiny bits of carrots, tomatoes, celery, onion, spinach, green peppers, and parsley.

Soup vegetables should always be dried separately. Then you can combine them in different ways so that you will have a vast variety of gourmet soups at your fingertips. You can blend the flavors to suit your own taste; just let your imagination be your guide. These home-prepared combinations will be much cheaper than those available commercially.

USING DRIED VEGETABLES

You don't need to soak dried vegetables before cooking them, but soaking will shorten the cooking time. Reconstitute by soaking I cup of dried vegetables in 2 cups of water for about 2 hours. Add more water if necessary. Vegetables will return to almost their original size and shape. Reconstituted vegetables are tasty additions to stews, casseroles, and soups. The water you use for soaking and cooking contains valuable nutrients, so use it in sauces and gravies.

Vegetable mixes for seasoning salads should not be soaked. Simply combine the dried vegetables with the other salad ingredients and add your favorite dressing.

Drying is the oldest method of preserving food. The early American settlers dried foods such as corn, apple slices, currants, grapes, and meat. Compared with other methods, drying is quite simple. In fact, you may already have most of the equipment on hand. Dried foods keep well because the moisture content is so low that spoilage organisms cannot grow.

Drying will never replace canning and freezing because these methods do a better job of retaining the taste, appearance, and nutritive value of fresh food. But drying is an excellent way to preserve foods that can add variety to meals and provide delicious, nutritious snacks. One of the biggest advantages of dried foods is that they take much less storage space than canned or frozen foods.

Recommended methods for canning and freezing have been determined by research and widespread experience. Home drying, however, does not have firmly established procedures. Food can be dried several ways, for example, by the sun if the air is hot and dry enough, or in an oven or dryer if the climate is humid.

With the renewed interest in gardening and natural foods and because of the high cost of commercially dried products, drying foods at home is becoming popular again. Drying is not difficult, but it does take time and a lot of attention. Although there are different drying methods, the guidelines remain the same.

Although solar drying is a popular and very inexpensive method, Illinois does not have a suitable climate for it. Dependable solar dehydration of foods requires 3 to 5 consecutive days when the temperature is 95 degrees F. and the humidity is very low. The average relative humidity in central Illinois on days with 95 degrees F. temperatures is usually 86 percent. Solar drying is thus not feasible.

Drying food in the oven of a kitchen range, on the other hand, can be very expensive. In an electric oven, drying food has been found to be nine to twelve times as costly as canning it. Food dehydrators are less expensive to operate but are only useful for a few months of the year. A convection oven can be the most economical investment if the proper model is chosen. A convection oven that has a controllable temperature starting at 120 degrees F. and a continuous operation feature rather than a timer-controlled one will function quite well as a dehydrator during the gardening months. For the rest of the year it can be used as a tabletop oven.

continuation - because I'm long winded -

GUIDELINES
Speed

For a good-quality product, vegetables and fruits must be prepared for drying as soon as possible after harvesting. They should be blanched, cooled, and laid out to dry without delay. Foods should be dried rapidly, but not so fast that the outside becomes hard before the moisture inside has a chance to evaporate.

Drying must not be interrupted. Once you start drying the food, don't let it cool down in order to start drying again later. Mold and other spoilage organisms can grow on partly dried food.

Temperature

During the first part of the drying process, the air temperature can be relatively high, that is, 150 degrees to 160 degrees F. (65 degrees to 70 degrees C.), so that moisture can evaporate quickly from the food. Because food loses heat during rapid evaporation, the air temperature can be high without increasing the temperature of the food. But as soon as surface moisture is lost (the outside begins to feel dry) and the rate of evaporation slows down, the food warms up. The air temperature must then be reduced to about 140 degrees F. (60 degrees C.).

Toward the end of the drying process the food can scorch easily, so you must watch it carefully. Each fruit and vegetable has a critical temperature above which a scorched taste develops. The temperature should be high enough to evaporate moisture from the food, but not high enough to cook the food. Carefully follow directions for regulating temperatures.

Humidity and Ventilation

Rapid dehydration is desirable. The higher the temperature and the lower the humidity, the more rapid the rate of dehydration will be. Humid air slows down evaporation. Keep this in mind if you plan to dry food on hot, muggy summer days. If drying takes place too fast, however, "case hardening" will occur. This means that the cells on the outside of the pieces of food give up moisture faster than the cells on the inside. The surface becomes hard, preventing the escape of moisture from the inside.

Moisture in the food escapes by evaporating into the air. Trapped air soon takes on as much moisture as it can hold, and then drying can no longer take place. For this reason, be sure the ventilation around your oven or in your food dryer is adequate.

Uniform Drying

Drying the food evenly takes a little extra effort and attention. Stirring the pieces of food frequently and shifting the racks in the oven or dryer are essential because heat is not the same in all parts of the dryer. For the best results, spread thin layers of uniformly-sized pieces of food on the drying racks.

Rehydrating Dried Vegetables
Most vegetables are soaked or rehydrated in cold water prior to use. However, there are 2 other acceptable rehydration methods: add the dried product to boiling water (see Table 1) or add the dried vegetable to a product with lots of liquid, such as soup. Whichever rehydration method is chosen, the vegetables return to their original shape.

Vegetables can be soaked in either water or, for additional flavor, bouillon or vegetable juice. They usually rehydrate within 1 to 2 hours. If they are soaked for more than 2 hours, or overnight, they should be refrigerated. See chart for how much water to use and for the minimum soaking time. Using boiling liquid speeds up the soaking time. Save and use the soaking liquid in cooking.

Adding dried vegetables directly to soups and stews is the simplest way to rehydrate vegetables. Also, leafy vegetables, cabbage and tomatoes do not need to be soaked. Add sufficient water to keep them covered and simmer until tender.

Vegetable Chips
Dehydrated, thinly sliced vegetables or vegetable chips are a nutritious low-calorie snack. They can be served with a favorite dip. Vegetables to try are zucchini, tomato, squash, parsnip, turnip, cucumber, beet or carrot chips.

NOTE: Vegetables should be thinly sliced with a food processor, vegetable slicer or sharp knife before drying.

Vegetables Flakes and Powders
Vegetable flakes can be made by crushing dehydrated vegetables or vegetable leather using a wooden mallet, rolling pin or one's hand.

Powders are finer than flakes and are made by using a food mill, food processor or blender. The most common powders are onion, celery and tomato.

NOTE - Remember that by drying foods you are removing the moisture content so that mold, etc. does not set in - and if you place dried foods in the freezer - the moisture content will return. You don't want that.

Thanks so much guys.
Im not sure exactly what kind of beans he has out. I know he has a couple of different kinds at his place and a couple of other kinds down at Jons brothers.

One more question about dried tomatoes. I read that the texture should be that of a dried apricot but my book says all of the moisture should be removed. The texture of a dried apricot would be much better but is it safe? I plan to store them in the freezer.

Wow- both mama and KYH offer a bounty of info about something quite interesting, that I had known nothing about before. Thanks so much for enlightening!

Please don't put dried foods in the freezer - you dry foods to remove the moisture and prevent mold from setting in - so why stick it in the freezer to suck in all that moisture???

Dehydration is the process of slowly removing water from tomatoes in order to preserve them. Dried or dehydrated tomatoes have become a common staple for the ?90s. In the Mediterranean, tomatoes are dried in the sun. Unfortunately many other regions of the world do not offer the appropriate climate for sun-drying.

The amount of time it takes to dry tomatoes depends on the variety of the tomato, the humidity in the air during the drying process, the thickness of the slices or pieces, and the efficiency of your dehydrator or oven.

Firm, ripe, meaty tomatoes dry best. This type of tomato is usually oval shaped and called an Italian, Roma, plum, pear or paste tomato. These tomatoes contain fewer seeds and more pulp, and produce a better dried tomato. Varieties that contain a lot of water or gel, such as Beefsteaks, are not recommended.

The secret to successfully dehydrating tomatoes is to control the temperature and air circulation. If they are dried at too low a temperature, 90°F or less, the tomatoes will dry too slowly and bacteria or mold can grow. At too high a temperature, 170°F or higher, the tomatoes will cook, or harden on the outside (case harden), while the insides remain moist, and spoilage will also occur.

Properly dried tomatoes have a dark red color and feel dry and leathery, but not hard and brittle. They should not be "tacky" or moist. When touched in the center, no tomato pulp should stick to the finger.

Preparation

Select firm ripe tomatoes for drying. Tomatoes do not require blanching. Cut plum tomatoes almost in half lengthwise and open like a book. Using a spoon or your finger, scrape out the seeds, or gently squeeze the tomato to extract them, but be careful not to remove the pulp. If the seeds don?t bother you, omit this step. Salt may be lightly sprinkled on the cut surface to draw moisture, but is optional. If drying plump or thick plum tomatoes, a slit on the bottom or skin side will aid in the drying process. Slice "round" or "salad" tomato varieties in ¼-inch thick slices.

Oven Drying

Unlike sun drying, which depends on the weather, oven drying can be done at any time of the day or night, rain or shine. For trays you can use the existing racks in the oven, or cake racks. Cover the racks with cheesecloth held firmly in place with clothespins or straight pins.

Place the tomatoes about 1/2 to 1" apart (cut side up) in an oven heated to no hotter than 140°F. The oven door should be propped open at least 4 inches. Place a small fan outside the oven in such a position that air is directed through the opening and across the oven racks. Rotate the racks, and change the position of the fan frequently during drying to vary the air circulation and promote even drying.

Near the end of the drying time, the tomatoes may scorch easily, so examine them occasionally and remove dried tomatoes. Oven drying is practical if you are drying small quantities or experimenting with drying.

Dehydrator Drying

There is an initial expense involved when buying a dehydrator, but many people think that a dehydrator produces the best quality dried food. An electric dehydrator can maintain a low, even temperature, and circulate the heated air by means of a blower or fan. Most dehydrators are equipped with a thermostat to maintain a constant temperature, and some have timers. Larger units with many shelves have room for more food than most ovens.

Set the dehydrator temperature at 135° to 140°F. If your dehydrator does not have a thermostat, place an accurate, easily read thermometer on the bottom tray. Place the prepared tomatoes on trays as described in the above, leaving 1 to 2 inches between trays. It may be necessary to turn the tomatoes, and rotate the racks during drying.

Near the end of the drying time, the tomatoes may scorch easily, so examine them occasionally and remove dried tomatoes.

Microwave Drying

Do not attempt to use your microwave to dry tomatoes. They require constant attention, and the door must be opened frequently to allow moisture to escape. Microwave dried tomatoes do not dry evenly, and can easily scorch or burn.

Packaging and Storage

Dehydrated tomatoes require very little space to store. Completely dried tomatoes can be stored in plastic bags, airtight jars or other suitable containers. If coffee cans are used, place the tomatoes in plastic bags first. Pack the tomatoes tightly, and squeeze out all excess air. They may be stored at room temperature in a cool, dark place. The color, flavor, aroma, and nutritive value will deteriorate after about a year. For longer storage, well-wrapped tomatoes may be stored in the freezer.

Rehydrating Dried Tomatoes

Dried tomatoes may be rehydrated in a variety of ways. Tomatoes may be added directly to soups and stews, or may be soaked in water, wine, bouillon or vegetable juice to cover. They usually rehydrate within 1 to 2 hours. If they are soaked for more than 2 hours, or overnight, they should be refrigerated. Using boiling liquid speeds up the soaking time. The soaking liquid may be used in cooking.

Tomato Flakes and Powders

To crumble dried tomatoes, toss them into the freezer for 5 minutes. Then crush.

To produce flakes or powder from your dried tomatoes, dry them beyond the "leathery" stage to a more brittle consistency. Tomato flakes can be made by crushing the dehydrated tomatoes with a mallet, rolling pin or by crushing them in your hands.

Powders are finer than flakes and are made in a food processor or blender.

Making your own sun-dried tomatoes is very simple and certainly is much less expensive than purchasing them at the grocery store. Of course unless you live is a very hot sunny climate they are not technically going to be ?sun? dried. Instead I am going to give you instructions on drying tomatoes in your food dehydrator or oven, this method is actually easier and more consistent than actual sun-drying.

The first thing is to pick the correct tomatoes, you want small meaty tomatoes for drying. The traditional drying variety is Principe Borghese, but you can also use plum or Roma tomatoes, which are much more readily available to those that do not grow their own tomatoes or start their own plants from seed.

Next you will need to prepare your tomatoes for drying, cut the smaller fruits, such as cherry type tomatoes and the smaller Italian varieties in half. The larger tomatoes will need to be cut into ½ inch slices. Drain your tomatoes slightly on paper towels and then place on the racks of your dehydrator, leaving enough space between the pieces for the air to circulate. To dry tomatoes in your dehydrator may take from 8 to 16 hours, depending on the thickness of your slices. It may help to rotate the trays if you have more than one in the dehydrator. To oven dry, place your tomatoes by putting them in single layers on wire racks or foil lined cookie sheets. Your oven temperature should be between 140 and 150 degrees, this works well in a gas oven with a pilot light, or if using an electric oven, set temperature on warm and prop the door open slightly. Oven drying will take from 10 to 24 hours, again if need be rotate your cookie sheets or racks.

When the tomatoes are dried they should be leathery but pliable, but non-sticky. Rather in texture like a raisin. Do not over dry.

To store your tomatoes, let them cool completely, then put them in ziplock bags or glass jars with an airtight lid. They will keep this way for up to 6 months. If wanting longer storage, put them in the freezer.

To rehydrate your tomatoes if need be, soak them for 5 to 10 minutes in hot water, broth, or wine to cover.

To store your tomatoes in oil, you will first need to rehydrate your tomatoes slightly, just until plump but still chewy. Dip them in either wine or distilled vinegar, then pack them in a jar with olive oil and some herbs such as, thyme or oregano, and some sliced garlic. Allow this to sit at room temperature for 4 to 8 hours. Then place them in the refrigerator.

A note from Mama -

I always store everything that I dry in GLASS containers - not plastic and certainly not plastic bags - and I keep them in my pantry.

I know sunlight isn't good for dried foods, Mama. But sometimes you put head knowledge aside.

A row of canning jars, each filled with a different colored dried tomatoes, is as pretty a picture as any kitchen can have; even prettier than a row of jars holding assorted beans.

But yeah, as a general rule, store dried foods in glass (I like the half-gallon Mason jars for that purpose) and as much out of sunlight as possible.

One benefit to working forever in commercial kitchens was being able to easily collect a bounty of glass half-gallon & one-gallon jars from items like sweet relish, thousand island dressing & marischino cherries.

Today they line my kitchen counter, pantry, bathroom vanity and garage shelves filled with everything from flour & sugar, to graham cracker crumbs & macaroni, to Q-tips & sponges, to aqaurium gravel & potting soil!

Thanks everyone.
I wasnt sure what texture I should go for with tomatoes but you guys took care of my questions.
I think I will go with the glass jars to store them. I always have tons of them for storing my dried herbs in the cabinet.

I love to "collect" glass jars - not all of course - but they are good to use in the freezer as well for freezing broths, soups, sauces. It was quite disappointing when they changed the quart mayo bottles to plastic.

But glass jars can be used for so much! And for that decorative touch - cut rounds of pretty material for covering the caps and a pretty sticker adds for show.

Jon and his Dad took me to see the old house where Jons Dad grew up.
They showed me the root cellar where his Mom stored all kinds of things she had preserved in crocks and jars. What I would give to have some of those old crocks and jars for keep sakes. I could just picture them at the time all lined up on the walls of that old cellar.

I have some of what had been passed down - not many - and I do cherish them! I love the old country kitchens with the old nickel stoves!

janie's story of the old jars and crocks bring many memories to the fire-mind... Does anyone know the history of why many older glass mason jars were that wonderful blue/green color (versus the clear that we have today)?

I used to know a lot about Mason jars. But, alas, so much is gone.

If I recall correctly, wasn't it serindipitous? Something about minerals in the sand used for making the glass?

The Kenai River on Alaska's Kenai Peninsula is a beautiful vivid emerald-green. This results from the refraction of the sun off the silver glacier silt on the floor of the river. SPECTACULAR to see. Your sand in the glass idea brought this to mind, KYH...

Back