What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Forum Mechanics

K

KYHeirloomer

Something I've wondered about for a long time. If you look at the index page, next to the topics it often says, in paranthesis, (X viewings).

I've tried to relate that to the number of responses; to the number of people on-line at the time; to the number of people who have read that thread. Nothing seems to fit.

Does anybody know what that means?

I have noticed this on several forums. Always took it to mean--how many people have opened thread??
EDIT: do now see there is a list of who is online and what they are viewing.
Nan

Last edited:
This site does do that, Nan.

On the home page, at the very bottom, there are two listings. The first lists members who are currently on line. The second lists all those who have been on line that day.

For instance, right now it shows that you, me, and Cathy are here. But it lists a much larger number of members who have checked in today.

I once thought the same as you, that the numbers referred to how many people had opened the thread. But most of the time they are much too small for that. There might be as many as six or eight posts on a thread, but the title says (2 viewing).

Is a puzzlement.

Whoops, I read you wrong--I was looking at the # on the far right, when the forum is open, which is indeed the # of people who have opened thread??

The little number I think you are refering to is how many people are viewing "right now"? For instance, under dessert, it says 3. And, there are 2 members and 36 guests on board.
Hmmmm
Nan

Last edited:
Also - many times it is not accurate. I've seen where it says someone is on line and they aren't, and vice versa.

I still think that only members should be able to read and have access to our site - non-members should have to join.

I'm not sure I would join a forum I couldn't visit first. actually probably a good idea to visit for a while.
I have joined several that I seldom visit and should withdraw. One is very hard to navigate and some are just boring.
Now, I don't join until I feel enough interest to want to post? Just me maybe?
Nan

That's a good idea - but limit them - so many visits and then join or you can't view anymore.

I would love to see more participation.

The number viewing is how many are actually reading that thread at that moment. Of course, the user could click off the page to another website and it will still show as viewing. The users status will timeout after X minutes (defined by admin, 15 default).

The way most web servers work is that they are stateless. They take a request for a page, and return the result, and then disconnect from the user. When you are reading this, you are no longer connected to the web server. For this reason, it cannot really know if you are still viewing the page (without some sort of javascript that is server load intensive).

I got the basic message, Jafo. Thanks.

Of course, most of your explanation didn't mean much to me. I'm one of those who fall in the category of "you can't do high tech with a low tech mind."

I don't even want to know how I can be viewing something that lives in a server (whatever that is) if the server has disconnected.

Ah, well. So long as it works. A pragmatic approach is good enough for me.

Well, just to answer.. The server has already "served" you the information and your browser (Internet Explorer, Firefox, etc..) has already rendered it. Just like you don't leave your P.O. box open after you take your mail out, the server closes the connection once you received the information. Every link you click on this site (that links to this site) asks the server for another document.

The server is just a computer (not much different than your PC) that holds documents. Those documents get served to you when you request them (i.e. a request is when you type in www.spiceplace.com into your browser).

Of course, this forum is using "dynamic documents" which is how we can use this forum.

Back