What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cold Soup

K

KYHeirloomer

I'm doing research on cold soups and got to be wondering:

1. Do y'all make chilled soups? And, if you do,
2. What is your favorite?

for many years, none except gazpacho, got me to thinking

though since I'll be in warmer waters this season, hmmmm?

I used to have a wonderful cream based avocado one that was heavenly. Just saw a thread on cold soups somewhere?? will go search. Have had a couple of wonderful ones with greens, but it's been a while.
Nan

Summer Country Club Gazpacho

Summer was a wonderful time to work at the country club I was at in my early twenties. Within the historic converted 1800’s mansion there were several distinctive dining spaces including many outdoor areas. This chilled soup was always popular and the chef I worked with then usually made a batch every day to serve to the tennis players, those lounging poolside and those riding in the livery and stable areas.

6 juicy, reddest vine-ripened tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
1 sm. red onion, very finely chopped
2 zucchini, peeled and chopped
3 cucumbers, peeled, seeded, chopped
1 sweet red bell pepper (or green) seeded and chopped
3 ribs celery, chopped
1/4 c. fresh parsley, chopped
1 T. fresh cilantro, chopped
a dozen leaves fresh basil, chopped
2 T. chopped fresh chives
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
2 T. freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 t. sugar
6 or more drops of Tabasco sauce, to taste
1 t. Worcestershire
4-6 c. tomato juice (I like to use “V-8”)
salt & pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients. Buzz 2 to 3 c. of the soup slightly in a blender or food processer, to desired consistency, then stir back in with remaining cold soup. Place in non-metal, non-reactive storage container, cover tightly and refrigerate overnight, allowing flavors to marry. Serve cold on the hottest of summer days.

Last edited:
Thank you so much Kevin.
Now I am REALLY looking foward to tomatoes getting ripe.
I cannot wait to try this.

Our grocery store has tomatoes with the vine still on them.
I dont think I can wait til they come out of our garden lol.
Im gonna get some tomorrow and some V8 juice and try this.
I have everything else.

You're welcome, janie! What i like about this lite soup is it can easily be paired with a salad or small sandwich, and still leave room in one's belly for a dessert if the occasion calls for it.

Back