What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giving In to A Whim

K

KYHeirloomer

So, for one reason or another, I haven't done any baking since we got back from the Outer Banks. Not that I'm much of a baker, to begin with. Bread is mostly what I do.

So yesterday I gave in to the whim. You have to watch out for those things, whims. They're likely to take over, and rule your life. Or at least your weekend.

Yesterday I baked. I made a large oatmeal loaf, a pair of Engish Muffin breads, and a batch of biscotti. True, biscotti isn't bread. But it's the next best thing to it. These were cranberry/pistachio filled, and are pretty good if I say so myself.

As if that wasn't enough, I prepared a brioche dough, to make mini-buns. They've been rising the past couple of hours, and are about ready to go into the oven. But I also prepped the pre-ferments, yesterday, for a transitional wheat bread. They've been sitting to take the chill off, and I'll start making the final dough soon as the brioche goes in.

Whims! Scary sort of things.

Anybody else had their life taken over by one?

Wow, KYH... why so much energy? Actually, I don't critisize your energy- I only allow it to shadow over mine. I made shortbread squares, a simple to-be-grilled chciken entree and a tortellini salad for the 4th, and other than that I really haven't done much cooking all week, to be honest. You did more yesterday than I've done so far this month! And it all sounds yummy- I can just imagine the heavely aroma of your home! The biscotti soud particlularly good to me just now. I make a dried blueberry/almond biscotti that is popular- maybe I'll pick up the stuff to whip some of those out to take to work for tomorrow for the department. But for now I have only one question for you: with all this fresh bread floating around your kitchen- did you buy enuf butter?

Gee in my house it's not a whim - it's very common to spend a day or several days baking and cooking non-stop for whatever reasons.

When you have to feed a family - that's what you do.

It's more uncommon in my house to experience a quiet kitchen with no activity.

I'm used to seeing the variety of different bowls lined up with various doughs rising, etc. and just waiting for the "next step" while the stove top is loaded with pots and pans cooking up all sorts of good things and both ovens going for 18 - 20 hours straight.

But then again - that's my family and that's the way we live.

What mama describes sounds wonderfully like my former work kitchens- but not so in my home. I live alone in a 2 bedroom condo and 'though it's spacious for one guy, I purposefully chose it for it's compact kitchen. No huge feeds going on at my place- but for the time being- that's how I like it. Having just left the commercial kitchen recently and "retiring" into a kinder/gentler second career, I'm still basking in the joy of not cooking so much. While I expect that to change with time, for now it's a wonderful luxury not to cook all day long, everyday, anymore. (Of course that doesn't mean I don't want to EAT all day long! Ha!)

What mama describes sounds wonderfully like my former work kitchens- but not so in my home. I live alone in a 2 bedroom condo and 'though it's spacious for one guy, I purposefully chose it for it's compact kitchen. No huge feeds going on at my place- but for the time being- that's how I like it. Having just left the commercial kitchen recently and "retiring" into a kinder/gentler second career, I'm still basking in the joy of not cooking so much. While I expect that to change with time, for now it's a wonderful luxury not to cook all day long, everyday, anymore. (Of course that doesn't mean I don't want to EAT all day long! Ha!)

CAG -

I'm no longer in the restaurant business but I still cater and I still do cooking for a crowd. And I miss it - the hard work - the people - the menu planning, etc. As the years pass - there are fewer to cook for - and then all of a sudden more are present. (When it gets too quiet for me, God sends more!)

Sure I'm retired - and I dang well deserve it - but I have a few things up my sleeve yet. Cripe - I'm not dead yet! And I still have so much more to share.

So I guess when "my time comes" I hope the pot of sauce is done and the loaves of bread are out of the oven so that someone can enjoy them as they take the body out.

Until then - I plan I getting back into doing even more cooking and baking - and enjoying it immensely!

Last edited:
Even though there's just the two of us, Mama, my stoves are always in use. But usually not on a marathon like the past two days, in which I'm devoting myself to one thing---as well as preparing regular meals.

Normally I bake bread once or twice a week. Just hadn't gotten to it since our vacation, and I guess I was making up for lost time.

>I make a dried blueberry/almond biscotti that is popular<

Ummmmmmmm! I'll trade ya:

Cranberry Pistachio Biscotti

1/4 cup olive oil
3/4 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
2 eggs
1 3/4 cups flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp aking powder
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 1/2 cups pistachio nuts

Preheat oven to 300F.

In a large bowl mix together the oil and sugar until well blended. Mix in the vanilla and almost extracts, then beat in the eggs.

Combine flour, slat and baking powder in separate bowl. Gradually stir into egg mixture. Mix in cranberries and nuts by hand.

Divide dough in half. Form two logs, about 12 x 2 inches on a cookie sheet that has beenlined with parchment paper. Dough will be sticky (to say the least;)); wet hands with cool water to handle dough more easily.

Bake for 35 minutes in the preheated oven or until logs are light brown. Remove from oven and set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Reduce oven heat to 275F.

Cut logs on diagonal into 3/4 inch thick slices. Lay on sides on parch;ment covered cookie sheet. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until dry.

I'm so used to marathon cooking it's not funny. I could tell you so many stories.

Thanks for sharing your recipe. I was at a tea several weeks ago and the hostess served these - she generously shared her recipes with us all - she gave us a cute little "recipe" book of all she made. Which is something we all do when we are the hostess! (club rules!)

White Chocolate Cranberry Biscotti

2 cups flour
1-1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 cups CRANBERRY ALMOND CRUNCH Cereal
3 squares White Baking Chocolate, chopped
4 squares Semi-Sweet Baking Chocolate, melted

PREHEAT oven to 325°. Mix flour, baking powder and salt in small bowl. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy. Blend in eggs and vanilla. Gradually add flour mixture, beating well after each addition. Stir in cereal and white chocolate. Divide dough in half. Shape each half into 14x2-inch log with lightly floured hands; place on greased baking sheet.

BAKE 30 min. or until lightly browned. Remove from baking sheet. Place on cutting board; cool 5 min. Using a serrated knife, diagonally cut each log into 12 slices; place upright on baking sheet, 1/2 inch apart. Bake an additional 15 to 18 min. or until slightly dried. Remove from baking sheet. Cool on wire racks.

DIP in or drizzle with melted chocolate. Let stand until set. Store in tightly covered container at room temperature.

The only time I marathon cook is for holidays or family get togethers.
The last time I made biscotti was Christmas. That sounds really good though I may have to make a batch in the next day or so.

With it just being the two of us and one half of us being a vegetable hating carnivore it limits cooking options. I love big pots of soup and crusty bread. Mr Picky doesnt. I usually keep a roasted chicken in the fridge for him or some sort of cooked beef. Last night I smoked 5 chicken legs and 5 thighs. He will munch those for a couple of days lol. He has zero patience waiting on anything to get done so I usually have the protein cooked ahead of time or atleast I try to. Its like for breakfast I always bake the bacon the night before so I can get breakfast together that much faster. I dont mind cooking it ahead of time if it is something that reheats well.

You make him sound so Neanderthal!

I could just picture him banging his club on the dirt floor of your cave grumbling as loud as can be for his MEAT! And when it's not ready he is dragging you around the house by your hair - straight to the open fire on the kitchen area floor with fresh slaughtered brontosaurus meat waiting to be tended to!

All the while he is grunting and groaning - until the brontosaurus burgers are placed in front of him. Such an aroma of delicious chow! Calms the beast...........until the next time!

LOL

lol I read that to him and he says actually your pretty close.

He is very lucky he took from his Dad's side of the family and has no cholesterol problems.
When we were dating he told me if it ever walked, ran, swam, flew, crawled or burrowed kill clean it and cook it and Im happy. He loves pasta as well as meat. The first thing I ever made him to eat was spaghetti and meatballs. He loves big sloppy bacon cheeseburgers once and a while but when I do cook red meat I buy ground sirloin. I use ground turkey were ever I can. If its not a pasta then we eat mostly chicken.
He always talked about my bunny liked me better than him. I was like ....maybe its the meat on your breath lol.

Back