What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

howdee pardners!

D

durangojo

i'm a transplant here from epi and chef's talk..been trying to get over to this site for awhile but sometimes life gets complicated..anyway, i'm here now..soo,a bit about meself... i live in southwest colorado (durango) at 8500 feet high in the rockies..we are 25 miles from town, near a ski resort and my husband and i have run a 100 year old restaurant that is seasonal(summertime), that sits on a high mountain lake surrounded by 12,00 ft mountains and wilderness for 15 years. in the winters we often find crew jobs on private yachts either in the bahamas, mexico or caribbean or work on a dude ranch in arizona. this past winter we had to stay here for medical reasons and it was a doozie of a winter..30+ ft of snow..at our restaurant, i am it..chef, sous chef,pastry chef, caterer, kitchen manager, sometimes dishwasher..most people have larger kitchens in their homes! my cooking style is simple rustic and our menu is eclectic ranging from staples like meatloaf and lasagne to lamb tenderloin with green peppercorn sauce, chile smoked shrimp wih bbq hollandaise, teriyaki tuna with 2 sauces(wasabi green onion and sweet thai chile), filet with smoked bacon bourbon sauce and flatirons with chimichurri,veal marsala,and chicken picatta just to name some.. desserts are fresh fruit crumble with vanilla ice cream, chocolate grand marnier mousse, classic key lime pie with mango sauce, chocolate sin(flourless with baileys, chambord and kahlua), with raspberry coulis, and a raspberry and lemon sorbet terrine..yes, it keeps me very busy..we also do quite a bit of catering as you can imagine that the scenery is so spectacular..bears swimming across the lake, eagles and osprey and great trout fishing..i am blessed to be able to work and live in such a magical place..i love my work, which even though its tough, never seems like work work...i just can't imagine getting out of bed to go sell carpet or shoes or insurance! i look forward to being on this forum and getting to know you all as i always have lots of questions, some answers and perhaps just a different slant on things..so cheers all
joey

Folks, Joey is another one of the good guys I lured over here from that disfunctional site.

She comes across as self-effacing. But she's incredibly knowledgeable, and her culinary base runs from the very rustic to the very regal. I guarantee, if you've got a cooking question, Joey likely has the answer.

Somebody once said if you want to have friends you have to allow them one great fault. And Joey has a doosy: She's always running off to this secret spot in Mexico, but not taking me with. :(

Anyway, I hope you'll all help me welcome her to the SpicePlace family.

You got that right KY, she is one smart cookie.
I am constantly amazed with her knowledgeable, succinct, and delicious replies!!!

Welcome Joey,
Nan

Hello Joey.
Very happy you decided to join us.
Where you live sounds so beautiful. From the way you describe it I can just picture how lovely it is.
Maybe you can help us keep Brook in line....

Hi Joey! Happy to see you here. Looking forward to reading your advice and recipes...

Back