What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ripe Tomatoes

jglass

Is anyone getting them from the garden yet?
How about you Brook?
When should they start to get ripe?

A few people at the farmers market were selling green ones but no one has any ripe ones yet.
It just seems like with it being the second week in July someone should be getting them by now. Even the green ones for sale are smaller than normal. We have a good amount of green ones in the garden but they are smaller and none of them even look like they are near starting to ripen.

They have 100 tomato plants at my husband's brothers place but its gonna be a log time on them. They already have a guy here in town planning to buy all they can produce. I am just hoping to get enough to eat and can a few. At this rate by the time I have tomatoes all of my peppers are gonna be played out and I really wanted to make salsa. :(
What I would give for a fresh tomato, mozerella and basil salad lol.

Last edited:
Be careful what you wish for - they may all ripen at the same time! It happened to me one year - seemed like they just wouldn't ripen - then - bingo! Kept me dang busy - that was for sure. And then they were gone! So sad...................

Im dying here Mama.
I have such a craving for a fresh tomato.
I bought some at Wal Mart the other day that were supposed to be fresh.
Wal Mart lied.

That happened with us a few years ago. They all got ripe at once. They came and went fast but were delish while they were here lol.

Janie, I never got a garden in, to speak of, this year. :( Between the non-stop rains, and involvement with other projects. Got a few things in containers, but that's it.

Tomato maturity is based on two things: the variety itself, and ambient conditions. Weather, in short, can effect when they mature. I'm sure the unseasonably cool temperatures we had all through June will effect the plants.

But a lot depends on the varieity. Most Kentucky heirloom tomatoes, for instance, are late-season types, maturing in 85-95 days.

Wish I could be more helpful. But my only advice is to hang in there. Soon enough they'll turn color.

Im dying here Mama.
I have such a craving for a fresh tomato.
I bought some at Wal Mart the other day that were supposed to be fresh.
Wal Mart lied.

That happened with us a few years ago. They all got ripe at once. They came and went fast but were delish while they were here lol.

I could live on homegrown tomoates! Just plain and I would be in heaven! BTW - they all lie. Fresh to me is fresh off the vine - not fresh out of truck that's been on the road 2 days after picking up tomatoes that were waiting 3 days or more!

Janie, don't know if this makes you feel better, but....

When I saw Bill Best last night he told me he is just starting to get ripe tomatoes, and hopes to have enough to sell at the Lexington market come Saturday.

Normally Bill has been selling 'maters for at least a month by this time.

I too have been fooled into buying "fresh" 'maters. Supposedly these were Arkansas fruit. They were pretty- bright red, but hard- I just don't care for tomatoes picked hard and semi-green so they can survive a 1000-mile truck ride. But, I took'em home anyway- desperate for the taste of summer.

Truth be told, I don't think a 'mater really has that magic flavor unless it's endured severe summer heat and is picked off the vine when it has that loose, jiggly feel of an about-to-burst water-balloon!

Last edited:
oh those lovely huge beefsteak tomatoes - ripe and juicy - sliced thin and piled high on a good crusty bread, drizzled with olive oil, with a light spinkle of salt and a good grind of pepper - and you have to eat it over the sink because it's so wonderfully juicy and so messy - but soooooooooo good.....

Gotta do a little "tomato bragging"

Well thanks to our very own KYH I decided to grow heirloom veggies this year. So I bought these heirloom seeds that were supposed to be a variety of different type tomatoes. Well they were different alright! WOW, I have got these deep maroon colored ones [brandywine], and yellow ones, and rutgers (red) and these other pink ones and they are all just delicious as they can be!!! I have never seen a green ripe tomato before! I feel I have been very blessed indeed with such a nice crop! Even the ones I grew in containers [rutgers] have done amazingly well!

Cathy you know I love you and all BUT...

dqr5o2.jpg

Yeah I know how ya' feel and all, but hey I can't help but brag on them danged good ole'
maters out there just hanging around gettin' vine ripened and all!!! LOL

That'll teach you to live so far away!!!

Fried Green Tomatoes for lunch!

And I found a worm in my garden, he was happily going about some of my rather large green tomatoes drilling holes in them and then crawling here and there to find more tomatoes he could bless with his holiness, I plucked the little brown stinker off and gingerly tossed him into the chicken coop [what a ruckus I created with that generous jesture!] So I picked my lovely holie green tomatoes and came right in and trimmed them, sliced them, fried them, and ate every last bite all by myself!!! Aw gosh was that a treat, I never would have done that except for the worm holes so in a way he was nice little worm, and my chicken liked him too:D

Ate it all herself. Hmmmmmm.

You catch that, Janie? Not only a braggart but selfish to boot.

She didn't used to be that way. I reckon sumpin musta really happened on that vacation. Some alien virus attacking her brain, mebbe?

LOL - now we're gonna see that little bugger on the milk carton with a reward for his return!

Freaky happening - the chicken that laid the golden egg - and the worm pops out!

Who gets the reward money???

>the victim of foul play lol.<

Shouldn't that be victim of fowl play?

Bwahahahahahahahaha

Back