What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

And Speaking of Tomatoes....

K

KYHeirloomer

Anyone in central Kentucky around August 9 should plan on attending the second annual Heirloom Tomato Festival, at The Arboretum.

The event will run from 10 in the morning until 2 in the afternoon, and will include tomato tastings (including a blind-taste test pitting heirlooms against hybrids); presentations on seed saving and heirloom collecting, and tours of the vegetable gardens at The Arboretum.

Yours truly will be one of the presenters.

Anyone in central Kentucky around August 9 should plan on attending the second annual Heirloom Tomato Festival, at The Arboretum.

The event will run from 10 in the morning until 2 in the afternoon, and will include tomato tastings (including a blind-taste test pitting heirlooms against hybrids); presentations on seed saving and heirloom collecting, and tours of the vegetable gardens at The Arboretum.

Yours truly will be one of the presenters.

Brook,

I am wondering how close is the nearest KOA to that area?

I would love to be able to come!

Cathy, there aren't any KOAs particularly close. But there's a campground at Fort Boonesboro State Park, about ten miles away. And a private campground down on the river, about the same distance.

There also a campground at the Kentucky Horse Park, also about ten miles away, but north rather than south.

How do you camp? Tent? Trailer? Motorhome?

Brook,

Thank you for the information. We rent a Cabin, they are available at most KOA's these days and for only @ approx. $45 per night well worth the cost, they just have sleeping arrangements and A/C or heater, a front porch with a swing:) and that's it!

I am no longer able to do the sleeping bag "thing":eek:, but gosh I love tent camping best!

Anyway I looked up KOA's in my directroy last night and I think I found one near where you are speaking of, it's Renfro Valley KOA in Mount Vernon, KY. How do you think that location would be from where the Festival will be held? I really want to go KOA, since I do have my little old "Rewards Card":) and I like KOA's!

Anyway let me know.

Thank you, Cathy

Renfro Valley is about 25 miles south of us, then another 15 miles to Lexington. To me that's certainly doable.

From you to Lexington is 5 hours, give or take.

If you do come, plan on staying over on Saturday, and we'll get together somewhere.

Renfro Valley is about 25 miles south of us, then another 15 miles to Lexington. To me that's certainly doable.

From you to Lexington is 5 hours, give or take.

If you do come, plan on staying over on Saturday, and we'll get together somewhere. Maybe Roger Postley (the tomato guy) and his wife will join us as well.

Sounds terrific, now I have got to try & get that Sat. off from work as it is my on weekend.

And we will most assuredley make a point of getting together Sat. after the Festival, I will be so happy to get to meet you & Barb in person!

Also I will bring "one" of my tomatoes to share! LOL

One thing we won't need is another tomato. There will be 25-30 heirloom varieties on site for tasting.

Be sure and bring some zip locks, and I'll teach you how to collect tomato seed in the field.

Don't know if it showed up when you were searching out KOAs, but Renfrew Valley is Kentucky's version of the Grand Ol' Opry. We're not into country music, so I don't know if anything is going on that weekend. But it would be a good idea to get your reservation in pronto, just in case.

On Sunday, if you haven't been, you might want to detour to Cumberland Gap. It'll be a couple of hours out of your way, but well worth doing.

In light of the geology lessons going on on the other thread, something to keep in mind: Middlesboro, which is the town on the Kentucky side of the gap, sits in the middle of a meteor crater. The swimming pool at the Y actually markes the epicenter of the hit.

In the Hiking Kentucky book, I make reference to the Wilderness Road being restored. That work has been completed, and you can now walk on the same road that carried settlers westward as it looked in 1815.

All in all, a great place to visit.

Sounds terrific, I am thinking I will need the following Mon. off.....gosh I hope school isn't back in, I forgot about that. I love summer vacation, I get to sleep in and no hurried mornings hustling to get little one ready & delivered to the school! And I dread it starting up again so soon, when I was growing up summer vacation was 3 months, now they are lucky to get 2 months!

I would really like an entire week in KY, with all you've just mentioned I would be in heaven!!!

I called my Mom last night to inquire about my Grandfather, he always spoke of the Hotel he Managed up North (we're from Miami) and I thought he said Bowling Green, Ky. Well turns out it was Blowing Rock, NC where he worked all season according to my Mom. I was disappointed as I was hopeful that we could one day visit KY and stay in the very hotel
"G-dad" had worked at all those years! Oh well my memory is shaky sometimes at best. LOL

P.S. I will bring baggies, it will be nice to know how to gather seeds!

Last edited:
Its wonderful you guys are going to be able to get together.
Shoot some heirloom seeds my way Cathy if you get some extra.

I would be glad to, even living in an apt. you can have some, I did my Rutgers in large pots, and they have done phenominal!

Ooops I forgot you can have all you want at your Pa-in-laws!

You know, Janie, it's only a hour and 15 minutes away. You really should try and make it.

My poor old car has a coolant leak no one has been able to find.
With my luck my little leak would turn into a hemorrhage on my way there lol.
They think it has a cracked head which is not good and nothing you want to take to far from home. I think its great you two are gonna get to meet though.

You know, Cathy, if you do take Monday off, it's real pretty out Greenup and Grayson way. And I've got nothing planned for Sunday......

I am going to try, it is all dependant upon when school starts and if she has to be in school that Mon. or not I will let you know. I called the KOA and he said there was plenty avail. for that Sat night!

Brook,

I just found out school starts on Aug. 1st :( We will only be able to do the weekend trip and not extend it into Mon. Oh well, I am at least excited about being able to come, and we will discuss it this evening when I get home, and then I'll get the reservation in for the cabin, and I will keep you posted!

I just relized I have never been to any kind of a fruit or vegeatble festival! I used to go to the Shrimp Festival in Gulf Shores, AL but that got to be a big pain because they over-built the area after Hurricane Fredrick wiped it out in late 1970's and tourist attractions and traffic became a bummer!!!

I like watching the festivals on the food channel when I can catch one! Have you ever seen the one where they actually had garlic ice cream at the Garlic Festival in Gilroy, CA? I found that to be amusing! We even used to live like right next door to Gilroy, and I never went to their festival SHAME ON ME!

I try and avoid the giants like Gilroy. I'm not one for crowds like that.

I have had garlic ice cream, though, at one of the Garlic Is Life symposia that Darrell Merrell used to sponsor in Tulsa.

Don't expect anything of that magnitude at the Arboretum. This is only the second year for this event, and we'll likely see, at best, a couple of hundred folks.

Like you I appreciate small gatherings, over huge events any day of the year! After we get it all "ground in stone" over on my end here, I will ask you for directions if you do not mind.

Thanks so much Brook!

Back