What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bell Pepper Help Please

jglass

I have about a dozen green bell peppers in the fridge.
I downloaded a couple recipes for stuffed bell peppers but you guys always have such wonderful recipes I would love to know how you make yours...please.:D

janie,

I stuff mine w/ what basically amounts to Spanish Rice with ground beef. I've also made chicken-sausage jambalaya using Zatarain's and stuffed that into the peppers as well. Both are yummy!

I stuff some, I use some in salads, I use them in stuffings, I love them stuffed with bread crumbs and grated cheese, love them roasted, use in marinated salads, cry some and use in all types of dishes, stir-fry dishes, peppers and onions with sausage or brats, etc.

I stuff some, I use some in salads, I use them in stuffings, I love them stuffed with bread crumbs and grated cheese, love them roasted, use in marinated salads, dry some and use in all types of dishes, slice for stir-fry dishes, peppers and onions with sausage or brats, etc.

Peppers can be stuffed with anything - served hot or cold - no limits!

Last edited:
When I get tired of stuffin' them, I chop, slice, or dice them, flash freeze on a tray and then store in a vacuum-seal bag in the freezer so I have access to them all year long.

I also will dehydrate them for even longer storage.

This is a little work, but if you really want to impress people.

Start with smaller peppers for the actual stuffing. Ideal is to have different colored ones: some orange, some red, some yellow. You'll also need extras to make pepper sauce from in contrasting colors. Leave pieces of stem on the ones that will be stuffed.

Char all the peppers, put them in a paper bag, and let them self-steam for 15 minutes. That will make them easier to peel. Using larger peppers, make at least two, preferably three, very thick pepper sauces. (Basically, combine the roasted peppers in a blender or food processor with a little oil and some herbs of your choice. If you need to thicken the sauce, cook it down so it reduces. You want it on the pasty side.

Now get to work making both a risotto and polenta. You can make them plain, or with complimentary flavors. Maybe a mushroom polenta, for instance, and a scallop risotto. Make them fairly thick, and let cool at room temperature.

Once everything is ready, carefully slice the top of the small peppers, and set aside to use as a cap if you want. Take a very thin sliver from the bottom of the peppers to level them so they stand up straight.

Now then, turn a pepper on its side and fill it almost half-way with the polenta. Then spoon-in some of the pepper sauce, using a contrasting color. That is, for a yellow pepper, use red sauce. Next, being very careful so as to not disturb the two layers, spoon in enough risota so you can turn the pepper upright without the layers slipping. Fill the balance of the risotto side.

Store in the fridge, covered, overnight. Or at least a few hours. When ready to serve, sprinkle with parmigiano and pop under the broiler until the cheese is bubbly and the peppers heated through.

Just before serving, place the caps on top at a jaunty angle.

I guarantee your guests will think you slaved for two or three days making these. Oh, wait. You did. But the results are well worth the time invested.

Risotto isn't difficult janie, but it DOES require fairly constant care. Most recipes stress constant stirring... I personally think one can lay the spoon down and do other tasks for very short periods, and not necessarily feel chained to the watched-pot, but you damn sure don't wanna walk away and forget it for too long! The deliciously-creamy results are SO worth it!

You can get all fancy smancy, Janie. But if you haven't done it before, best bet is to keep it simple.

The one thing to keep in mind about risotto is that it takes time, and cannot be rushed.

There are only two tricks. 1. Use the special short-grain rices that are grown for that purpose. Arborio is the commonest, but there are a few others. 2. Add the liquid slowing, in small amounts, and let it all get absorbed before adding the next batch.

For a simple risotto start with a cup of rice and a quart of stock. It helps if the stock is warm. Chop a small onion and saute it in a little olive oil. Add the rice and stir. Add 1/4 cup of warm stock, stirring continually until it is absorbed. Add another 1/4 cup of stock.

Initially, the liquid will be absorbed relatively quickly. But as the rice swells and turns creamy it takes progressively longer to be absorbed. That's when you can leave it be for a moment or two. But I don't recommend getting involved in another task; not until you've done several risottos, and have a feel for how the rice behaves.

I may be able to find Arborio at the bulk food place here in town but neither grocery store will have it. All I have in the pantry right now is Jasmine Rice and I got that at WalMart.
I made some fresh chicken stock tonight.

I see I wasn't clear about one thing. A cup of rice probably won't take the whole quart---closer to three cups I'd say. But I like to have it handy in case.

And once the rice is done, add some shaved parmigiano to finish it.

After that you can start playing with other veggies and flavorings, such as making a butternut squash risotto, which is a classic dish.

KYH offeres fantastic get-started points, janie... As he says, once you get the basics under your belt, so many other ingredients are wonderful additions to risotto... I join a l'il white wine or even vodka with the stock to add some dimension... some of my favs are fresh peas, asparagus tips and hot smoked salmon. YUM!

How about using some of your risotto for this one:

3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 whole clove garlic, peeled
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon chopped parsley
1 1/2 cups Italian Arborio rice
salt and pepper
8-10 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced thin
1 tablespoon chopped celery
1 cup milk
1/4 cup (4 tablespoons) heavy cream
5 cups hot chicken, beef or vegetable broth
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese

In a heavy skillet or casserole over medium-high heat, saute the
onion and garlic in the olive oil until almost golden. Add the
celery, rice, salt and pepper, and saute another 4-5 minutes.
(Discard the garlic when it turns a pale brown color.) Add the
mushrooms and parsley, and cook over low heat, stirring frequently.

Add the milk and cream, and simmer until most of the liquid is
absorbed into the rice. Continue cooking, adding the hot broth 1-2
ladlefuls at a time as the liquid is absorbed. Stir continuously.
When all the broth is used and rice is cooked but still slightly
chewy in the center (after approximately 25 minutes stirring and
simmering), add the butter and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.

Stir and serve immediately.

Risotto comes from the Italian word for rice, riso, and refers to a particular rice-cooking technique. Classically, risotto is made with Arborio rice, a short-grained white rice with a very special quality. When simmered slowly and stirred while cooking, it releases good quantities of starch that gives a creamy texture instead of distinct rice grains.

Many apply the technique to a variety of different ingredients and call the resulting dishes "risotto". The technique involves adding stock in small amounts, and cooking and stirring until the liquid has been absorbed before adding the next addition.

To make risotto with other types of rice or even with barley or potatoes, many have found that by adding Arborio rice flour (that's just arborio rice pulverized to a fine powder in a blender and the base for Arborio rice coating that can be used for deep-frying) for the last few minutes of cooking, gives the creamy texture you want in a risotto.

Risotto is all about building flavors, one on top of another. It usually begins with sautéing onions lightly without browning them. Then the rice goes in. It's important to sauté the rice for a minute or two in order to envelop it with the olive oil flavor. When you see the rice begin to pearl up ? you will see the center of the grain turning color ? you're ready to add liquid, starting with wine, if you're using it.

Cook the rice with the wine at a slow simmer, stirring all the while, until the pan is nearly dry. Continue to stir and add simmering stock, 1/2 cup at a time, as each addition is absorbed. Season after the first addition of stock so that the seasoning permeates the rice. When rice is tender but still has a little more liquid than you want in the finished product, add the remaining flavors ? vegetables, meats, herbs, cheese ? according to your recipe.

Many like to finish risotto with a chunk of butter and some fresh herbs. Once you turn off the stove, add the cheese; this way the cheese melts slowly and the fat doesn't separate out from the cheese.

Thanks for the recipe Mama. I saved it to my Mama folder on my pc.
Im going to have to wait til my next trip to Ashland to get the right type of rice.
As usual no one here in town had it lol.
This town is as dry as the desert for the home cook looking for even the most simple ingredients.

Thanks for the recipe Mama. I saved it to my Mama folder on my pc.

Get yourself a good supply of the rice - I've got plenty more recipes -
would you like another?

BABY BELLA RISOTTO

3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1/4 Cup Onion, chopped
1/4 Cup Carrots,chopped
2 Cloves Garlic, minced
1/2 Red,Orange or Yellow Pepper,chopped
1 Large pkg Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced thin
6 Cups Vegetable or Chicken Broth
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
11/2 Cups Rice(Basmati or other White Rice)
2 Tablespoons Butter
1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese, finely grated
3 Cups Baby Spinach
Parsley ,chopped
Parmesan Cheese

Method:
Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and carrot, cook untilonion are transparent(4 to5 minutes). Add garlic and pepper; cookanother1 to 2 minutes.Add mushroomsand cover pan. cook until mushrooms are limp(4to 5 minutes).
While the mushroomsmixture is cooking, heat brothin a seperate sauce pan and keep hot,but not boiling.When mushrooms are limp,add salt and rice;stir until rice is mixed with vegtables. Slowly ass the broth,one ladle at a time,to the rice mixture. Each time the broth boils off and more broth stir often. Continue adding broth until rice is cooked(about 20 minutes) Stir in butter and parmesan cheese. Just before serving stir in spinach. serve in bowls with parsley and permesan sprinkled on top. about 6 servings.

Back