What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help

• Thread starter NEW COOK IN NEW ORLEANS
  • Start date
N

NEW COOK IN NEW ORLEANS

My Dad Told Me How To Cook Sting Bean Stew With Potatoes , Tomato: Sauce And Pickled Meat & Pork Chops. I Know How To Brown The Chops With Onions But How Do I Cook The Pickled Salt Meat? Will It Cook In The Red Gravey And Beans Or Do I Need To Pre Cook? Also Do I Need To Add Water To The Tomato Sauce When Making The Red Gravey.

Its kinda late for the ones who can most likely help you but they are early risers so you will get some help early in the morning. Good luck with your dish.

First off, welcome to the forum. I hope we'll hear more from you, including, maybe, an introduction.

I'm not sure what you mean by pickled salt meat. Perhaps you're talkinga bout salt pork or the like? If so, that a source of both cooking oil and flavoring.

Dice the salt pork (or, sometimes, cut it in slices) and pan fry it to render out the fat. Sort of like cooking bacon. When it just starts to turn color, add your onions. Then brown your chops, and continue with the recipe.

Pickling Meat is a way of curing and preserving different types of meats and was developed before the days of refrigeration or easy access to ice to keep meats cold. This was a staple in any Creole kitchen.

Some people will not make Red Beans and Rice without it, and I have to say, the best pot of Red Beans that I've made, was made with Pickled Pork. The meat is so tender from the brine, that it just breaks down in the pot, leaving behind all of that wonderful flavor.

Pickling was, during the War Between the States, or the Civil War, performed with saltpetre, and we don't see much of that anymore. Today's pickled meats take on special flavors of a variety of spices used to preserve them. It is more about flavor today than preservation.

Monday Red Beans & Rice Recipe with Pickle Meat and Fried Pork Chops
1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
2 Tbsp Creole Seasoning
1 Cup Onion, chopped
1/2 Cup Bell Pepper, chopped
1/4 Cup Celery, Chopped
1 Cup Andouille Sausage, Cubed
1 Ham Bone
1/2 lb Small Red Beans (soaked overnight or for at least a few hours)
1 Cup Pickle Meat, Cubed
1 Tbsp Fresh Garlic, Minced
3 1/2 Cups Chicken Stock (You could certainly use water)
3 Fresh Bay Leaves
1/2 Cup Tomato Sauce
1 Tbsp Italian Parsley, Finely Chopped
1/4 Cup Green Onions, thinly sliced on the bias
1/2 Recipe Creole Boiled Rice

Mix together the Holy Trinity (Onions, Celery, Bell Pepper). Drain the beans.
Melt the butter over medium heat.
Add 1/2 of the Holy Trinity, 1 Tbsp of the Creole Seasoning, and the Andouille, turn the heat to medium high. Cook this for about 7-10 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables start to get some color.
Add the beans and cook stirring occasionally for about 5 minutes.
Add the Chicken Stock or Water, Pickle Meat, the Ham bone, Garlic, Bay Leaves, the remaining Trinity and Creole Seasoning. Bring this to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Let this simmer for 2- 2 1/2 Hours. The first hour is low maintenance; an occasional stir and making sure the beans are covered with liquid. The second hour, you want to check back a little more often, the beans will really start to absorb some liquid and you don?t want them to stick.
After the beans have cooked for two hours, add the Tomato Sauce, the Parsley and 1/2 of the Green Onions. Make your Rice. Cook the beans for another half hour.
To Serve:
Remove the Bay Leaves. Mound a half cup of Rice each, onto two serving plates, Cover with a generous helping of the Red Beans, Garnish with the remaining Green Onions. Make sure their is a bottle of hot sauce on the table. Perfect compliments to this meal are a simple vinaigrette salad, Good Crusty French Bread, and your favorite Ice Cold Beer.
Serves 2-3

Fried Pork Chops Recipe
Pork Chops
Buttermilk (enough to cover)
1 tsp Black Pepper
Kosher Salt & Black pepper
1 Tbsp Creole Seasoning
1/2 Cup All Purpose Flour
Oil for frying
Cover the chops with the Buttermilk, mix in the 1 tsp Black Pepper. Marinate for 1 hour.
Heat the oil to 350 degrees F. Remove the Chops from the buttermilk and season liberally with salt and pepper. Dredge in the seasoned flour, shake off any excess. Fry until golden brown and just cooked through, serve alongside Red Beans & Rice.

Back