What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reuben Appetiser

K

KYHeirloomer

I love Reubens. They're probably my favorite sandwich. And I'm always playing around with versions that can be used as small plates and starters.

Recently I discovered that Betty Groff had such a recipe in her Up-Home Down-Home cookbook. Made them yesterday, and thought I'd share:

Reuben Croquettes

1 lb pauerkraut
1 small onion
12-oz can of corned beef
4 eggs
2 cups cooked rice
1 cup Swiss cheese
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 tsp pepper
3 tbls water
2 cups fine, dry bread crumbs or corn flake crumbs
Mustard sauce

Drain the sauerkraut and press out as much juice as possible. Chop the sauerkraut, onions, and corned beef very fine. This can be done in a blender or food processor. Add two eggs, rice, cheese, salt and pepper. Mix and shpe into approacimately 25 croqueettes, 1/4 cup each, or 18 larger ones. Combine the other 2 eggs with the water and beat with a fork. Roll each shaped croquette into the crumbs, then the egg, and then the crumbs again. Let them stand for a halr hour in the refrigerator so they stick together better. Fry in shallow oil in a skillet for 5 to 7 minutes, turning to brown, or bake on a greased cookie sheet in a preheated 425F oven for 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of the croquette. Heat mustard sauce slowly. Serve over the croquettes.

Mustard Sauce

3/4 cup mayonnaise]
1/4 cup milk
1 tbls lemon juice
3 tbls prepared mustard

Combine all ingredients and heat slowly. Serve over Reuben Croquettes or with ham.

My note: As usual, when using drained kraut, I wrung it out in a kitchen towel to remove as much liquid as possible. Combine it with the onion and corned beef in a food processer until int was pate like.

Cheese should be shredded, of course. Recipe doesn't mention that.

I used a 2-tablespoon sized disher, which worked well for appetizers. But I think as a first course going with her suggested 1/4-cup size might make more sense.

Baked these, and it worked out well. But I miss the flavored of fried, and will make them that way next time.

I'm also planning a small plates presentation that would include these along with mini-Reuben sandwiches, and the Reuben Puffs I had posted on another thread. And if I can get it to work, a Reuben Shooter.

Yeah- I'd do some severe damage to these, Brook! Don't invite me over less'en ya got a truckload of'em!

By the way- as a fellow Rueben lover... ever had a "Red Baron"? It's a Rueben made with sweet red kraut... I find them delicious too!

Can't say as I've ever had a Red Baron, Kevin. I'm not even sure what sweet red kraut is---I'm assuming kraut made with red cabbage and sugar? Do you have a recipe.

The Red Baron would be a great addition to my Reuben x 3 and Reuben x 4 first courses.

Currently the x# consists of Betty's croquettes and my own Reuben Puffs flanking a mini-version of a traditional Reuben sandwich. I'm thinking the Red Baron as a sub for the sammie.

x4 is the above with the addition of a Reuben soup. I've several versions of that, but it's a work in progress. Current fave is a cream of Reuben soup.

Can't say as I've ever had a Red Baron, Kevin. I'm not even sure what sweet red kraut is---I'm assuming kraut made with red cabbage and sugar? Do you have a recipe.

The Red Baron would be a great addition to my Reuben Three Ways and Reuben Four Ways first courses.

Currently the x3 consists of Betty's croquettes and my own Reuben Puffs flanking a mini-version of a traditional Reuben sandwich. I'm thinking the Red Baron as a sub for the sammie.

x4 is the above with the addition of a Reuben soup. I've several versions of that, but it's a work in progress. Current fave is a cream of Reuben soup. As part of the first course it's served as a shooter.

That Red Baron cabbage is the BOMB! Really great stuff, and ya' know Kev I never even thought to use it instead of plain ole' sauerkraut on a Reuben, gotta try it now, thanks for the idea! By the way there is a sweet sour Bavarian Kraut that I buy in a can that aslo has caraway seeds in it, I love it the best of all krauts!!! My goodness is it good on a sausage in a bun [I could eat 3 of those delicious goodies] Lordy Mercy I am gaining another 5 just thinking about it hee-hee!!! Next thing you know I'll have to join a forum on how to loose weight SMILE!!!

Well, Kev, looks like you done spoilt me.

I made Reuben's Three Ways for lunch, today. Plated on individual rectangular, wooden serving plates, we started on the left with three small Reuben Party Puffs. On the right was a small ramikin of Cream of Reuben soup. And, in the middle, mini-Red Barons.

Boy were they good.

I couldn't find the sweet red kraut. Went with a sweet & sour red cabbage instead. The stuff in a jar isn't as good as mine, and next time I'll go that route.

But I wanted to say thanks for introducing me to this different take on the classic.

Well cool, Brook. I'm glad you enjoyed them! I really like a traditional Rueben with white kraut- love them in fact. But I dig the heck out of the sweeter taste of the Red Baron as well. Also have really enjoyed a coupla Rueben Soups such as you describe.

I'll share yet another recipe- a take on the classic. I cannot vouch for it completely- 'cause I've never actually made it- but it's one I've ear-marked to try later this Fall- found in last season's "Taste of Home's New Slow Cooker Recipes".

Rueben Fondue

Four 2.5 oz. pkgs. Deli Corned Beef, chopped
One 8 oz. pkg. Cream Cheese
One 8 oz. can White Sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
1 c. Sour Cream
1 c. shredded Swiss Cheese
pinch of Caraway Seeds (optional)

Combine all ingredients in a Mini Slow Cooker, set on LOW for two hours, or until mealted and heated thru. Serve with Rye Crackers, Bagel Chips or Toast Points.

(I think this would even be delicious folded with cooked pasta, topped with more shredded Swiss, then baked in a casserole until golden-crusty, Brook!)

Last edited:
What is on a regular corn beef sandwich? I make them with corn beef, mustard, on rye bread with Swiss cheese, a pickle sliced. I heard you can make them with thousand island dressing & yea I forgot you can put sauerkraut warmed? I guess. I love a good cold beer with it. There's nothing quit like it. Cookie :)

Last edited:
Cookie,

A traditional RUEBEN SANDIWCH is a hot grilled "melt" that is prepared like a grilled cheese: Butter rye bread (light rye, dark rye, pumpernickel or marble-rye) and place each butter-side down in a medium-hot skillet. Place a slice of Swiss Cheese on each slice, then spread 1000 Island Dressing on each.

Meanwhile, in another pan heat thinly-sliced Corned Beef and seperately, Saurkraut. Place heated meat & kraut on one slice of bread, then top with other slice of bread. Flip in pan to brown each side to a golden, as you would a grilled cheese sandwich- VOILA! You've got a Rueben! Enjoy!

(To turn a Rueben into a "Red Baron" simply substitute the 'regular' common white sauerkraut with sweeter Red Kraut made from red cabbage and grenedine syrup. YUMMY!)

:)Thanks, Kevin for the Reuben recipe. I had know idea how to make a grilled Reuben. You make it sound so easy. I'll have to try this slowly without burning it.:) Cookie

I rarely bother preheating the corned beef and kraut. Not quite true. I may nuke 'em to room temperature or so. Then assemble and grill. Usually I squeeze out the kraut, too, so it isn't so drippy. I start with the bread. Add cheese, meat, kraut, thousand island, meat, cheese, and bread.

Like so many things, however, the original has been modified (my God. Have you seen the things that are being called Eggs Benedict?).

Nowadays they also use pastrami as the meat, and change the cheese, and still call it a Reuben. I've even had one made with fish that was called a mahi mahi Reuben. Interesting flavors, but I wish they'd called it something else.

The assemblage Chubby presented is the classic, true-gelt Reuben sandwich.

Those flavors lend themselves to all sorts of preparations as well. Thus the various small bites I've been mentioning.

There are numerous versions of Reuben soup. FWIW, the one I've been using is adapted from one I downloaded from a site called SauerkrautRecipes.com, ? They say it will serve 8. I dunno. I usually cut it in half, and serve it as a first course or part of one. Either way, it's a fairly rich soup.

Creamy Reuben Soup

1 cup kraut, well drained (I wring it out in a towel)
1/2 cup onion, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
3 tbls butter or margarine
1/4 cup unsifted flour
3 cups water
4 tsp beef flavored bouillon or beef bouilon cubes*
1/2 lb corned beef, shredded
3 cups half & half
12 oz pkg Swiss cheese, shredded
6-8 slices rye or pumpernickle bread, toasted and cut into quarters

In a large saucepan cook the onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour until smooth. Let cook a minute.

Gradually stir in water and bouillon and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered 5 minutes. Add corned beef, kraut, half & half and 1 cup cheese.

Cook 30 minutes until slightly thickened, stirring frequently.

Ladle into 8 oven-proof bowls. top each with toasted bread and 1/2 cup cheese. Broil until cheese melts. Sefve immediately.

*I use beef stock rather than the bouillon and water, both because it's more flavorful and to cut down on the salt.

Brook that soup sounds quite lovely! I really am going to make it soon, I have a can of Libby's Corn Beef in the pantry (I do not know from whence it came, probably something Eddie snuck into the cart!) I presume it would be OK for this soup recipe? What do you think?

By the way Cookie and some of our newer members may have never heard the term "small bites", and Cookie just to let you know it's like an appetizer or if you hear the term "Tapas" that is the Spaniard word for appetizers, in Morroco they can be called ""Kemia", "Mezze", or "Mukabalatt". They are all small dishes or appetizers. Just in case you've never heard the terms before I thought I would give you the terms:)

One of my favorite ways to eat in restaurants is to sit in the bar with friends and all of us order 2-3 appetizers each (or 'small-bites' or 'tapas') to share. Sometimes I prefer not getting quite so filled-up, and being able to sample many various tastes this way- versus eating in the dining room and getting stuffed on soup, salad, bread, entree, dessert...

Cathy, I would reserve the canned corned beef for the croquettes recipe I posted at the beginning of this thread.

Canned corned beef is more crumbly than regular, and is more hash-like than whole. For the soup, shredded whole corned beef works better, because you want some tooth from the meat.

What I do is have the deli counter slice the corned beef about 1/4" thick. Two of those should be as near a half pound as to make no never mind. Then I sliver it for the soup.

Alternatively, have the deli slice it so thin it's like shaved ham. Clean off the fat, and then slice through the shavings crossways to create the shredded meat.

Also, watch the size of the toast raft. Too big and it's awkward to get through it with a soon. It's better to have two or three small triangles than one large one.

In the past, Kevin, I would often order as you describe.

Trouble is, nowadays, that "appetisers" are so large as to be a joke. In actuality, they are merely a la carte versions of the entrees. Two or three of them would be far more than I could eat.

This is, of course, a fundemental problem with the whole small plates movement. In order to justify the high prices, portions are way too big. Even when shared among a number of people you can too easily go overboard.

What I find works, with typical appetisers, is for everybody to order just one (or two if it's a really large group), and then divide them. That way everybody gets a diversity of tastes, but nowbody fills up on just one.

Typical of the appetiser sizes in today's restaurants. We recently took some friends out to celebrate their anniversary. There was a mixed appetizer on the menu that supposedly served two. Friend Wife and I ordered that.

Well, all four of us ate off of it, and left some behind for fear it would spoil our dinner otherwise. I mean we're talking about a lot of food.

This isn't unusual. And I don't understand it. An appetiser---or any small plate, no matter what it's called---is supposed to stimulate the palette, and prepare it for the meal to come. It's not supposed to be a meal on its own.

Another trend that bothers me, re: appetisers. If you order a mixed tray, and the menu says "serves four" why are there five of some items? Is the restaurant looking to start a fight?

I see all of the points you make, Brook. Most portion sizes are indeed way too large. And that whole 5 jalapeno poppers for a group of 4 is indeed squirrely!

Several years ago I did the Atkins diet a couple of times- ate very low carbs- went months without eating sweets, or breads, potatoes, pasta, rice. It was difficult, but after a period, though I still found myself craving sweets occasionally- I rarely if ever craved grains- just didn't need them.

Today- all these years later, I order the largest sandwich I can find- cause I simply discard the bun or bread- and I toss the fries to the birds too- if they come with. So, when I order an entree, be it steak, ribs, chicken or fish, I'll ask for a double portion of broccoli rather than a baked potato or rice. Don't know what it is w/ me and carbs these days- I used to LOVE them all- CRAVED them. But not now.

Back