What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Silly Warnings

K

KYHeirloomer

So, it isn't enough that the USDA, and FDA and Homeland Security keep issuing stupid warnings. Now, it seems, such unnecessary cautions have invaded every day life.

Gwynn, my Lewellyn setter, came down with a cough all of a sudden. So off to the vet we go. After the exam the vet prescribed an anti-biotic and a cough supressant. As she handed me the latter, she cautioned, "this is liable to make Gwynn drowsy."

Say what? I mean, it's not like Gwynn was planning on operating any heavy equipment. Or driving us home.

But, more to the point, she's a dog. You know, bow-wow and like that. She already sleeps 14 hours a day. So just how am I supposed to know that the medicine is making her drowsy? And why should I care, particularly?

Gimme a break!

That's right up there with the warnings they put on hand-held hair dryers - not to use while bathing. Dang! I was planning on drying my hair while watching a DVD while soaking in a hot bubblebath - you know - line it all up on the edge of the tub. I just thought I would relax better! LOL

Anyone here take sleeping pills??? (I don't) - I wonder if they have a warning on them as well - that they cause drowsiness????????

When you think about it - there are MANY stupid warnings on products out there.

And you know why, Mama?

Cuz big brother suffers from a psychopathic fear that the citizens of this country will think for themselves.

Of course, if that ever happened, none of them would get elected.

Speaking of warnings. Do you ever listen to the side-effect disclaimers on all those drugs they push on the TV? Oh my God! Who in their right mind would take any of them after hearing what can happen.

And don't forget, death is a minor side-effect.

When you think about it - there are MANY stupid warnings on products out there.
Unfortunately because we have a lot of stupid people out there and, yes, they really do need those warnings and even then they don't understand or follow them. The warnings are knee-jerk responses to those people doing those things because the companies keep getting sued for those things.

The rest of us deal with the laughter of it all, but the situation is real.

:D Life is comical as ever these days!!! I love it!!!

Hey just wait until they begin putting warning labels on our food "WARNING EATING THIS PRODUCT MAY LEAD TO WEIGHT GAIN, HEART DISEASE, AND PREMATURE DEATH" Why heck it'd take all the fun right out of eating:(

But as CanMan pointed out all the Mfg. Co's have got to "C.T.A.'s" so to speak, and even that doesn't always work; look at all the individuals that have sued Cigarette Mfg. and won despite all the warnings printed on the pkg!!!

I always get a kick out of the side affect warnings that go something like:

Drugs Goal: Attack the symptoms of the flue

Side affects: May cause nausea, vomiting, aching, and fever.

Like, um.. Perhaps I will just stick with riding out the flu instead of chancing it with this medication that may just double the symptoms of the flu?

And also, how about those commercials where, say, some idiot is trying to get earwax out of his ear with a toilet plunger.. Then you see this little text "do not attempt".. I mean, seriously, even if there was a herd of maggots in my ear, I wouldn't use a plunger..

You're so right, Jafo. Or the heartburn medicines whose side effects include stomach pain, constipation or diareah, bloating, gas, and headache.

Huh? You wanna play that again. Not only the same symptoms I had with the heartburn, but they're throwing in a headache for good measaure.

The best have to be the ads for erectile disfunction---which, if we're to believe the commercials, is suffered by every member of the NFL. Go figure.

But there's one part of the disclaimer: In rare instances of an erection lasting four hours or more, seek...... At that point I always jump in with....a woman with a big smile.

Is there a man in America who would see that as an unwanted side effect? I think not.

Last edited:
Back in the vaudville days they had a definition of mixed emotions that went:

Watching your mother in law drive your new caddy off a cliff.

I love all these warnings for the drug companies. Makes me want to take 3 of each and 4 of the others!

Yes - humans are stupid! That is why the stupid warnings.

Not all of us are recycled from the hippie era - we didn't dope our brain cells away.

Common sense is gone these days! Why think? There is a computer or electronic device that can do it for you. Cripe - cruise control will watch your speed for you. That will give you more time to text while driving (LOL!)

Everything is going wireless - freedom - total freedom - for what though?

You don't need to add or subtract - calculators will do it for you.

You don't need to access an encyclopedia or a dictionary anymore - the search engine in your computer will do it for you.

You don't need to make friends anymore. You can be anything or anyone you want on line - boost your own ego type thing!

You don't need to cook - add water or plop in the microwave.

You can vacuum or cut your lawn with one of those new-fangled little flying saucer looking things - it bumps into something and goes the other way. Entertain yourself by watching it.

Electronics are taking over our lives. You don't need to learn anything.

Why put man in space? What the hell are we going to do with Mars? We already "conquered" the moon - and what did we get out of it? Use the money to build sidewalks like the Jetsons enjoy! You won't have to walk anymore. Oh but wait - that would break the oil typcoons! Bad thought Mama! Exxon needs to make more money.

The richest person in the world will be the one that invents the machine to automatically wash and dry your hair and body, shave your body parts, brush your teeth for you, clip your nails and tend to all your body functions without you lifting a finger.

Welcome to the world of human droids - brains no longer need to work - we use 10% now - why use any of it! Save the brain - keep it new - don't use it!

Mama you are so comical and there is just that right mix of truth to it all, my favorite part was where you said "we already conquered the moon, and what did we get out of that?" I love astronomy and all scientific study and all such, but you sure got a heck of a good point with that one Mama!

The first time I actually saw an electronic lawn mower in a yard I was driving down the road and saw the gadget, I hit my brakes so hard I burned rubber, did a quick "U-ie" and pulled up in the guys yard got out and asked him a zillion questions about it (turns out he was a salesman for the things) and found out the price (gagged a little) and thanked him and left. My girl-friend that was riding with me still laughs to this day over that whole incident, she said all our stuff in the pick-up bed flew forward when I hit the brakes so suddenly, she thought it would all fly through the window!!! But hey I have an inquisitive mind, just not inquisitive enough to buy the National Inquirer though! LOL

Yes, Brook- but the real question I have is (and one I asked at another thread a short time back- can't remember which one, now) when Gwynn recovers and is feeling better, will she able able to play the piano?

Not real well, Chubby.

But you should see her on the bass fiddle. :D

That would have been a hit on Animal Planet's Funniest Videos show!!! A piano playing pig huh!?! Wow wonders never cease, I hear pigs are rather intellegent, but I never would've guessed they were that smart!

Y'all seen that commerical for some doggie treats? The dog is running through the house, waiting and begging for his owner to open them. The tag line is,

I'd do it myself, but I haven't got any thumbs.

For some reason that tickles me every time I hear it.

When my nephew was a l'il tyke he wore a "onesy" that showed a monkey sucking it's thumb and the caption read: "Only one thing seperates us from the apes- our THUMBS!"

Hey CAG -

I know you must have seen the Planet of the Apes movies.

Just think about it.

Mankind doesn't want to use its brain anymore; many jobs are "beneath" many; laziness has set in..............and monkeys never complain!

Makes ya wonder.

Among the things I did, in my checkered youth, was study logging. My cheif instructor used to say there was a fortune waiting for the man who trained monkey's to harvest pine seeds---a rather difficult and dangerous task for people.

To date I don't know anyone who's done it.

Darn! Yet another opportunity gone by!

Back