What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squash Summer Salad

MsMai

SQUASH SUMMER SALAD

4 small zucchini
4 small yellow squash
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 red onion, chopped fine
1 red bell pepper, seeded & chopped
1 cup sherry wine vinegar (white wine vinegar works)
1/4 cup white, granulated sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

Slice the zucchini & yellow squash paper-thin into a large shallow bowl. Add the celery, red onion & bell pepper. Combine the remaining ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil & stir to dissolve the sugar. Pour the dressing over the vegetables while still hot. Cover & marinate at room temperature or chill overnight. Drain & serve.

That sounds really good, Mai.

For my tastebuds I think I'd cut back on the sugar, just a tad. But otherwise, a nice change from, say, slaw.

I am glad you can use the recipe. Have you tried Splenda?

I use it all the time and they even have a brown sugar Splenda. I rarely use sugar because my DH is diabetic.

Yeah, I've tried Splenda.

Unfortunately, I've yet to find any artificial sweetener that I consider palatable. Almost all of them leave an aftertaste. And they're far too sweet to begin with.

Most of the time I just use simple sugars: honey and maple syrup and cane syrup and the like.

One of the taverns I worked in as a 14 yr. old had a popular Sunday Buffet. The owner's wife worked all day Saturday making salads and desserts- and one of her popular salads was broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini and yellow crook-necked squash cut into bite-sized coins & tossed with lemon juice and TONS of Lawry's Seasoning Salt.This was chilled in a bowl over night.

Next day, she rinsed the Lawry's off the veggies, tossed with vinegar & oil & a pinch of sugar voila! Sounds way too simple, but I admit it was indeed very delish!

Ya know, Chubby, with one exception I've never seen Lawry's stuff outside the Midwest.

The exception: When we lived in Boston they used to have this garlic butter substitute. Maybe they still do. I haven't a clue what it was made of (probably some sort of saturated oil), but for a down & dirty garlic bread is was OK.

I never saw Lawry's anywhere else either, Brook, but here I am back in the Mid-West and every store's got it! Maybe it's like Miracle Whip- ain't a store shelf in Alaska with it- but at the work-camps where we had tons of southerners and mid-westerners- THEY demanded it! So we could always special -order it from suppliers but it took weeks to get and man- did they charge us an arm and a leg for it! (I always HATED what buying Mircle Whip did to my budget- mainly because I personally cannot STAND the stuff!)

Back