What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bill Cosby made us laugh...

chubbyalaskagriz

...with his funny skit about allowing his kids to indulge in big ole wedges of chocolate cake for breakfast down in the kitchen one morning, while his exhausted wife slept-in upstairs.

I love cold pizza for breakfast... What non-breakfast items scream your name in the kitchen when you trudge down the stiars all zombie-like and sleepy-eyed?

Hey - my dad is great - feeds us chocolate cake,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I remember that! Afterall it had milk and eggs in it! LOL

I love cold pizza and cold meatballs; cold liver and onions, mmmmmmm

Wait a minute now, Chubby. Are you saying that cold pizza is not breakfast food? :eek: What world are you living in?

I really don't know what breakfast food is. I've never been able to eat on an empty stomach, so have to be up and around for awhile, swallow a couple cups of coffee, etc. Then I'm ready to eat---by which time it's around ten in the aunt emmy. So I eat whatever strikes my fancy.

Sometimes that's a traditional breakfast. Eggs, sidemeat of some kind, spuds. Sometimes merely leftovers from the night before. Sometimes a sandwich. And sometimes I actually cook something.

Ah, mama... now you've got me thinking about and cravin' liver and onions! LOVE it!

And I'm w/ Brook on cold pizza- there's never a wrong time to eat it!

Cath- In a hungry middle-of-the-night-moment when standing with the fridge door swung wide-open, I have used cold chili as a dip for chips before!

Oh now, mama- that's just madness! Why use it as a dip, when you can put it in a cup and sip it thru a straw? Hee-Hee!

***Took my Mom to the dentist last week and she got a tooth pulled. Knowing full well that she'd appreciate soft things to eat afterwards for a day or two, I stocked her fridge on pudding-cups, yogurt, applesauce and the like. I also bought myself a box of chocolate pudding from Sam's Club... Do you know I ate so much of that stuff in one sitting (hadn't had any in years!) that I didn't even need a meal that night? It was pure heaven!

I don't know.. probably a JELLO pudding pop:) j/k.. i just yesterday had a piece of toast, topped by scrambled eggs, chicken apple sausage.. the toast had 1/3 less fat philadelphia cream cheese spread. soo good. anyone get a chance to try it yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey COAP!

I get the feeling you either
1] Really really really love cream cheese {I don't blame you!!!}
2] Have alot of shares of stock with the Kraft Co. {Wish I did too}
3] Are the owner of the Kraft Co. {Hi, need another friend up there at the top?}
5] Are the loyal employee of the Kraft Co. {Boy you are really really LOYAL!}
LOL, please don't get mad at me I'm feeling a little humorous this evening!

Guess what I am having this morning??? STEWED OKRA & TOMATOES! Just picked the okra and am craving it so..........Why not?!? This thread made me think "outside the box" and KYH has taught me that is just way OK to do:p

Jon and I always believe never let your stomach know what time it is.
We hardly ever have breakfast food for breakfast.

One of my fav suppers growing up was "breakfast for supper" usually on Sunday Nights. Almost always for Sunday supper we ate leftovers from Mom's big Sunday Dinner... but on those occasions where there were no leftovers (maybe due to having company over...) we usually then had either Campbell's tomato or chicken-noodle soup & grilled cheese sandwiches, OR eggs/bacon/sausage//pancakes/potatoes. Today I still LOVE that!

Arturo often made a Mexican breakfast dish for us late nights after we'd get home from a long night at work... It's called 'Chilaquiles" which is scrambled eggs cooked in aromatic lard, with lard-soaked corn tortillas torn and stirred into the eggs, dried crumbled red chiles, cheddar cheese and topped with sour cream & shredded raw yellow onion.

Like I just mentioned over on janie's thread about me not wishing to learn how to cook Asian food... I have never cooked this dish of Art's and will not- because I know somehow I would influenece a slightly different taste to the dish, and I would rather never get to taste it again, than to make it and never get the taste "quite right".

Speaking of Art- I was on the phone with him the other night and he's the same way about my french toast. I made it often for us for breakfast at different times throughout the day and it's a dish he didn't grow up eating in his native Argentina, so he's never made it. I add vanilla, maple syrup and a few drops of oj concentrate to the egg-wash that the bread is dipped into, then I pan-fry it in hot bacon drippings, and he says he's ordered it out several places and he's not gonna do so anymore, 'cause no place makes it like I did. (awwwww!)

Last edited:
You can blame Thomas Jefferson for the very idea that we can have breakfast for supper.

In colonial times, and in much of the south and rural midwest to this day, "dinner" is the mid-day meal. That would be the big meal of the day. Supper was traditionally light; might be nothing more than milk and toast, or some roast pumpkin.

Jefferson was a Frankophile of the first order, however (perhaps his one great fauld), and adopted the French idea of dinner being the evening meal, and service consisting of numerous courses.

On the other end of the spectrum, it's been said that America's only contribution to world cuisine is the concept of hot breadstuff for breakfast.
And it's true. We introduced that idea to the world. Pain Perdue, for instance (what we call French Toast) is not a breakfast dish in France. It, like omelets, is a luncheon dish; or part of a multi-course meal.

When and what you eat can really be summed up one of two ways. You can follow the precepts of that stupid book, and feel that real men don't eat quiche. Or you can be more realistic, and recognize that real men eat whatever they d-mn well please---and when they please to do it.

KYH raises really good points.

When I worked at resorts operated by Princess Crusielines we recruited college-aged staff for the huge, busy summer tourist season from all over the U.S. (most often from SLC- which I can tell you from vast personal experience- Mormon kids are THE hardest-working people on the face of the planet!) We also ended up typically w/ many international staff who were in the states from Europe, South America- wherever... as students.

Europeans- especially the French, were always baffled by the amount of and type of foods Americans could put away so early in the morning (keep in mind when dining-out, we Americans tend to enjoy even larger breakfasts than when at home). One Parisian-dude I remember said that he couldn't respect a people who thought it proper to eat potatos for breakfast!

These students tended to call a piece of bread and a dab of fruit or yogurt... or maybe a wee bit of dry cereal, "breakfast". Imagine their horror to be served a plate consisting of: a mountain of corned-beef-hash, 3 eggs, half a bushel of grilled potatos, strips of bacon and links/patties of sausage-, a monkey-dish of fruit, coffee, milk AND juice! Whew! Many a Frenchman threw his back out just hauling all this stuff to a dining table! Hee-Hee!

The French call a croisant and a cup of coffee that's half milk "breakfast."

Uh, huh! Perhaps that explains why they are only bit players on the world stage.

Back