What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Introducing my new Avatar! My main "man"

In honor of my NEW AVATAR!!!....I have a question that is totally unrelated to food. {Mine eats alot of food, even for a little guy, and so that kinda makes it relevant:eek:}

How about posting a pic. of your family pet?

This is my "little man" Zeke, he is a perfect pet for me! I got him one day when I was a volunteer at a pet adoption event, and the 1st cage and the 1st animal I went to pick-up held none other than this little red stinky mess. He clung to me like he was drowning and I was his last chance not to drown. I tried to be really strong and just ignore his pleading, but he would not let me put him down. After about 15 min.'s of sitting there holding this terribly dirty stinking all but skin & bones little thing, I gave in walked up to the Director of the S.P.C.A. and managed to ask him how one of the volunteers would go about adopting one of the animals. He directed me to "immediately take off your volunteer vest, write a check for the adoption fee, and get the heck out of here as fast as you can, there will be a fight for that dog!" So I wrote the check and scrambled out of there pronto!!!

I was told he was a chihuahua, well it weren't so! He is a very beautiful Stag Red Miniature Pinscher, and he turned out to be a really loving and healthy little critter, he was a little rough around the edges when I first adopted him, but after some visits to the vet and lots of love & training he developed into a great family pet that we all adore!

And that's the rest of the story!...........

Last edited:
hero_avatar.png

That's my robot 'pet'. Actually more like a 5 year old child. Has all of its senses and does not use a remote control (wouldn't it be nice to have a remote control for your 5 year old?). Built it myself years ago in the early years of robotics.
:D

That is so neat, and how awesome that you built it yourself! It is kind of cute when you see it in light of that! Kind of like a pet one might see on "Star Wars"!

Now you have to tell us what all does your pet do? I imagine you programmed him to fetch, and maybe....oh heck I don't know what all a pet robot could be programmed to do! You really must share!

Did you read my post a few days back where I saw my 1st ever robot lawn mower? That was an exciting event for me, but then I tend to make even mundane day to day stuff exciting and fun filled, it is one of my bad habits, or it could be good depending on how you look at it!

Yah, things like that kept me busy after I got out of the military. I used to build and maintain atomic bombs (sorry, no spare parts lying around or instructions) and then built my first microcomputer in 1976. IBM came along years later and messed up the industry.

He does (or used to. Batteries now dead) pretty much what he wanted. It was more of a study of artificial intelligence and robotics than anything else. He was like a 5-year-old and did things on his own. He loved to play "cowboy and robots" with the cowboy trying to "shoot" his light sensor (in a dark room) with a flashlight before he got you. He had the advantage since he could see in the dark. If you look at his face. That round thing is a motion sensor used by Polaroid for their old cameras.

Robots have come a long way since then (so have computers) and, yes, I saw your post about the robot lawn mower. I will buy one when it empties itself and takes out the trash. :)

Nowadays my fun is canning and stockpiling food and water (would be so much easier living in the country) and helping people when I can. And having some fun too.

That's neat, and I find it very interesting too!

Canning was my very favorite; for many moons! I even won ribbons at the county fair on many canned items that I entered one year. It made my sis-in-law forever mad at me, 'cause here I came along from the big city, married her brother, learned to can over-night and started winning ribbons, and she'd been at it for years and never got even an honorable mention. Poor thing, she reminded me of an episode of Andy of Mayberry & Aunt Bea & her neighbor every yr. at the fair trying to out-do each other. LOL I lived in the country in those days, and city gardening such as I am doing now [as I am sure you are] is much smaller than country so our harvests were incredible! I canned until I about fell flat on my face with exhaustion! I am glad those days are over, I will now only do any of it for enjoyment, good flavor, & nourishment, not necessity.

Zeke is absolutely adorable, Cathy! Aren't pets wonderful? Thanks for sharing! I'm trying to trade my current avatar for one of the kitties but they're all too big and I ain't figured out how to re-size them yet... Will keep trying, tho!

Canning was my very favorite; for many moons! I even won ribbons at the county fair on many canned items that I entered one year. It made my sis-in-law forever mad at me, 'cause here I came along from the big city, married her brother, learned to can over-night and started winning ribbons...
Hee Hee! That's about my story too, as a guy, nerd, retired, and now I'm the canning expert and the lady relatives are really jealous and upset to ask ME for recipes and instructions. :D
I am glad those days are over, I will now only do any of it for enjoyment, good flavor, & nourishment, not necessity.
For whatever reason you should be doing it as part of an overall stockpile plan to offset the ever increasing price and shortage of food. We've got a minimum of 2 years ahead of us and probably longer.

Fortunatly, Nan... the only re-sizing I am able to do with these always-hungry beasts is expand their pudgy bellies! They're casting larger shadows and looking more and more like their human every day! Hee-Hee!

:DHey CanMan I just gotta tell you I love the kitty on your Avatar, cats are so darn arrogant they should all have faces with heads that swell to 3 x's their size!!!

Cat lover that I am I finally had to give up having any, there got to be a cat to human ratio of like 7-1. That is one heck of alot of scooping, and I got so tired of it all after 15 yrs.:( that is when I got Zeke, and I am so glad for that switch, and no more litter boxes to deal with SHEW. And I was the sucker to blame..."Oh sure, I'll keep it until we find a home for it"
and you know the kitten, cat or whatever would find a great home, right there with me forever.....................:rolleyes:

Cuties and great pic. I am sooooooo allergic to cats, I mean I will be in the hospital!! But had some really great ones before this developed.
Had an incredible Siamese I named Pywacket after Kim Novak's kitty in the movie "Bell, Book, and Candle".
I just did a search on that (1958)and you weren't born, oh my, I am an old broad!!!!
here is link:
Bell, Book And Candle by Richard Quine on DVD starring James Stewart, Kim Novak, Jack Lemmon at Movies Unlimited

This cat stood down a rattle snake one time--my neighbor came home and saw her on the sidewalk with the snake in a staring match and the snake left!!!

When my younget son was just starting to go up and down the stairs in our house, another cool Siamese had kittens in an upstairs closet. My younger son went up got a kitty to play with and brought it downstairs, mom missed one and came down and carted it back up the stairs. Son missed it and went to get another---pretty soon, they were meeting on the stairs, one going up with kitty, one down. Thanks goodness there were five babies so they didn't get worn out! And I had a baby sitter for a while!
Damn allergies!,
Nan

Aww that is a neat story Nan!

I too love cats as I posted right before your post, my little 8 yr. old is allergic and we had to go cat-free zone in my home, and once we did I was relieved, still there are few pleasures that compare to that of stroking a cats beautiful soft fur! Boy I loved my cats!!!

And I am going to look for that movie, I love James Stewart, he was one of a kind!!! I was telling someone on one of these posts we watched "Shenandoah" the other night, such a terrific movie! And dog gone if it isn't one heck of a "tear-jerker" too, it never fails to move me to tears! I need to start a collection of his movies.

Did you like Shirley Temple? I adore her movies also, and my favorite is "Heidi", that one always gets my waterworks going too. LOL But I must confess I am getting better, and I am not crying at every old sad movie now-a-days just the oldies!!! Which leads me to another thought....have you noticed that so many of the comedies these days are anything but?!? I don't know how many movies I have watched that were under the comedy genre that were sad as all get out!

Last edited:
Cathy, I just realized I have a small collection of old movies on VHS. Wouldn't mind listing them and mailing to anyone interested?
Am going to work on Monday and will be gone 2-4 months but wouldn't mind doing it when I get back.
Backstreet with Susan Hayward is a two kleenex box one!!! Not sure I could give up Casablanca or Birdcage or the original Le Cage Delle Follies, or Frankie and Johnny with Al Pacino-- the original and the Jack Nickolson version of The Postman Always Rings Twice, remember Key Largo? but will list them all when I return and let you guys beg!!
Nan

And Cathy, that link has the most of obscure movies you could hope for! Their hard copy catalog is like a big city phone book.
Nan

Nan, are you really and truly finally getting that ship? Doesn't seem they'll have enough time to get much of the work done.

And guys, do you know the difference between dogs and cats?

Dogs have families.
Cats have staff.

Thanks for the great web-site Nan!

Has anyone out there ever seen a movie by Disney called : "The Great Locomotive Chase"? Starring: Fess Parker... I need to know if it is good?

I loved Disney's "Savage Sam" when I was a little girl, any of you remember it? I never got over it and it is available at the web-site Nan shared with us OH BOY!!! Thanks again Nan!

"Cats have staff" is 100% accurate Brook, and I was one of their most over-worked:mad:

Back