What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Honor of Passing of Beloved Estelle Getty

chubbyalaskagriz

In honor of the life of our Beloved Actress Estelle Getty (Sophia from 'Golden Girls') who passed away yesterday, I ask everyone to offer a fine recipe for either their favorite Italian dish or a cheesecake.

Sexy Chocolate Cheesecake

“Between two evils- I always pick the one I’ve never tried before!”
–Mae West

My new fav cheesecake is this non-baked one made by my young niece.​

crust:
3 c. crushed OREO cookies
1/4 c. sugar
1/2 c. (1 stick) margarine, melted

filling:
1-3/4 c. milk chocolate morsels
1 envelope (.25 oz.) unflavored gelatin
½ c. milk
2 pkg. (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
½ c. sour cream
½ t. almond extract
½ c. heavy whipping cream, whipped

for crust:
thoroughly mix crushed OREOS, sugar and melted margarine together and press firmly onto bottom and 2” up the side of a 9” springform pan

filling:
microwave chocolate in bowl. place milk in small sauce pan and sprinkle gelatin over and allow to soften for 1 minute. warm milk over medium heat on stove stirring constantly until gelatin is melted- remove from heat.
beat cream cheese, sour cream and melted chocolate in large mixer bowl until fluffy. beat in milk/gelatin mixture and almond extract until thoroughly blended, then fold in whipped cream. Pour into crust. Refrigerate at least 3 hours or until firm. Slice and serve. (Hailley serves this w/ fresh raspberries.)

Last edited:
My favorite fine recipe for an Italian dish is:

Mock Lasagana:

3 cups your favorite spaghetti sauce
3 cups of cooked & drained macaroni noodles
1 16 oz small curd cottage cheese
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 tbsp. Dried parsley flakes
1 tbsp. Dried Italian seasoning mix
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 tsp. salt & pepper

Mix together the noodles, cottage cheese, seasonings and place 1/3 into a casserole dish top this with sauce and 1 cup of the mozzarella, repeat layer again with noodles, sauce and, the rest of the mozzarella, use the remaining noodles and layer with the rest of the sauce and top with the shredded cheddar cheese bake in a 350 degree oven until bubbly approx. 30min.'s

Big kids, little kids, even kids with chicken pocks love this dish!!!

And may Ms. Getty Rest In Peace and be blessed for all the laughs she brought our way!

Mama's Marinara Sauce is my favorite Italian recipe.

(2) #3 Cans of whole peeled tomatoes (28oz) or equal amount of fresh peeled tomatoes. (Put in bowl, crush by hand ? set aside) or homemade (canned)
10 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 lg. Onion, thinly sliced
1 tsp. Salt
1 tbs. Sugar
Pepper to taste
20 basil leaves or 2 tbs. dried basil
4 to 6 tbs. Olive oil

Heat Olive oil in a saucepan. When hot add garlic, stir, add onions ? sauté until soft.

Add tomatoes, along with remaining ingredients.

Bring to light boil, reduce heat ? simmer one hour without lid, stirring occasionally.

Notice the Google "Golden Girl's" FilmRinger.com strip across the top of this page, w/ lovely pics of beloved Ms. Getty! How appropriate!

Maybe it's just a coincidence?

But if not- if this fun and fitting action was consciously shared by someone to enhance our tiny l'il recipe tribute to Estelle today, we thank you for contributing w/ your creative generosity!

Picture this - Siciliy - 1922:

Sicilian Pasta with Tuna

2 ounces linguine fini (thin linguine pasta), or pasta as desired
1 (16 ounce) jar green and black olive pasta sauce
1 (6 ounce) can solid white tuna in oil, drained and flaked

Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add pasta; cook as package directs. Drain well.

Meanwhile heat tomato sauce in a medium saucepan, stirring occasionally. Add tuna; simmer about 2 minutes to blend flavors. Spoon over pasta; toss to mix and coat.

Budino Di Ricotta

This is an Italian ricotta cheese "pudding".

(4 servings)

1/2 lb ricotta
1/4 cup grated milk chocolate
1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
2 tbsp cream, approximately

Put ricotta, chocolate and nuts into food processor and blend thoroughly. Add enough cream to make a smooth consistency.

Serve in sherbet glasses with cookies.

Sicilian Swordfish

Spice Rub:

1 Tbsp garlic powder
1 Tbsp dried basil
1 Tsp fennel seeds, ground in a mortar or spice grinder
1/4 Tsp hot red pepper flakes
1 1/2 Tsp salt
1 Tsp lemon pepper or black pepper

4 swordfish steaks, about 1/2 lb each

Salsa:

1/4 cup chpped pitted Sicilian or other cured black olives
1 cup tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 Tsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Salt

Prepare a charcoal or gas grill for direct grilling over high heat and oil the grill rack. Coat the fish with oil.

Spice Rub:

Mix garlic powder, basil, fennel seeds, red pepper flakes, salt, and lemon or ground black pepper in a small bowl. Sprinkle both sides of each swordfish steak generously with the spice rub.

Salsa:

Mix olives, tomatoes, basil, garlic, cayenne, oil, and lemon juice together in a bowl. Taste and season with salt. Set aside.

Grill Swordfish directly over heat, turing once, until grill-marked, firm to the touch, and opaque throughout. 3-4 minutes per side. Arrange swordfish steaks on individual plates and top with Salsa or serve with Salsa on the side.

Actually - this Bronx girl came from Polish parents -

Beef Roll-ups - Zraziki po Krakowsku

2 lb Round steak
1 c Bread crumbs
1 Onion, grated
1 Egg, beaten
8 tb Butter, melted
1 tb Chopped parsley
2 c Water
Salt and Pepper to taste

Cut steak into thin pieces, about 4 1/2 by 2 inches. Score, sprinkle with salt and pepper. Combine bread crumbs, egg, onion and 4 T of the melted butter, salt and pepper. Spread the dressing on each piece of meat, roll up and fasten with a skewer or a toothpick. Roll in flour and brown in remaining butter. Add 2 cups of water (meat stock if you have it) and simmer 1 1/2 hours. Remove toothpicks. Pour gravy over meat. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve with mashed potatoes.

Zrazy Zawijane (polish Beef Roulade in Sour Cream Sauce)

5 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 cups onions, finely chopped
1 1/2 lbs mushrooms, finely chopped
1/4 cup soft breadcrumbs, from home-style bread, shredded
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
2 lbs top round steaks, trimmed of fat & pounded to 1/4 " thick
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
3 tablespoons flour
1 cup beef stock
2/3 cup sour cream

Preheat oven to 350°F.
In a heavy skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter with 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat.
Saute the mushrooms and onions until the liquid in the pan starts to evaporate (8-10 minutes) (Do NOT let the mushrooms brown).
Stir in the bread crumbs and half of the salt and pepper; remove from heat.
Cut the steak into 8 rectangular pieces 3-4" wide by 6-8" long, sprinkle both sides evenly with remaining salt and pepper.
Spread a thin layer of the mustard on each slice of beef, and place 1/8 of the stuffing on the shorter end of each piece of steak.
Roll the steaks into cyclinders, enclosing the stuffing, and tuck in the sides; secure each end with kitchen cord.
Roll the zrazy in flour and vigorously shake off any excess.
In a heavy skillet, melt remaining butter with oil over high heat, and brown the rolls, turning them often so they evenly turn a rich golden brown without burning (about 15 minutes).
As they brown transfer them to a casserole dish large enough to hold them all in a single layer.
Pour off all but a thin layer of fat from the skillet and replace it with the beef stock.
Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly (scraping the bottom and sides of the pan).
Pour the broth over the rolls and cover tightly.
Braise in the oven until the meat is so tender that it gives no resistance when pierced with the tip of a skewer or knife (45 minutes).
Remove the zrazy from the casserole dish, cut the cord off and cover with tin foil to keep the rolls warm while you make the sauce.
Skim off and discard as much of the fat as possible from the liquid remaining in the casserole dish.
Return to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat, and mix in the sour cream.
Season to taste and serve over zrazy.

Polish Chocolate Cream (Kisiel Czekoladowy)

2 cups heavy sweet cream
1 vanilla bean (3-inch piece) or 2 teaspoons vanilla extract or peppermint extract
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon potato flour (heaping teaspoon)
1/4 cup milk (cold)
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate or semisweet chocolate or milk chocolate, chopped

Melt chocolate over very low heat.
Combine cream, vanilla, and sugar and slowly bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer.
Combine melted chocolate with cream mixture, blending thoroughly.
Dissolve potato flour in milk, then add milk to cream mixture.
Stir for 2 minutes (be careful not to scorch the cream).
Discard vanilla bean, if you used one.
Wet mold or bowl with water (or you can use individual cups, ramikins or dessert glasses), then sprinkle with sugar, and pour cream mixture inches.
Chill for several hours before serving.
Serve topped with heavy sweet cream (plain or whipped and/or fruit syrup, if desired.

Beautiful offerings, mama. Thank you!

Dang- I'm now starving! 'scuse me while I wipe a l'il drool... there we go!

(today's avatar is a shot of my first-ever halibut catch- circa '92. Most fishermen would be embarrassed to have their photo taken w/ a 3 lb. "chicken"- afterall, the hali record is well over 400lbs.! But not me. I was danged proud of that l'il sucker! Notice the beautiful backdrop of the Dutch Harbor, Alaska peaks... Summer time in the Aleutians the place is as lovely and green as I imagine Ireland to be.)

Last edited:
I was gonna say, Chubbs, that I didn't know they grew halibut that small.

But I'll be good instead. :D

Back