What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crazy Dog

jglass

I was washing red leaf lettuce from the garden yesterday.
I took a big pot to the tub and ran water in it to soak the lettuce.
Washed it five times and as I spin it dry my little dog starts begging for some.
All in all he eats a small bunch of leaf lettuce and a carrot lol. He didnt care for fresh basil lol. He eats greens like crazy. Think maybe he is trying to make sure I dont get another bunny lol. See Mom..I can eat like one lol.

LOL - maybe he wants all that lovin' you gave the bunny! He just want's equal time - that's all. Or is he a vegetarian?? Maybe he is on a healthy diet - LOL!

You just ogtta love him!

(I think it's cute!)

Probably needs more greens (chlorophyll) in his diet. Animals get cravings for vitamins & minerals that they lack in their diet. Humans do too, but we think it is for chocolate. :D

Probably needs more greens (chlorophyll) in his diet. Animals get cravings for vitamins & minerals that they lack in their diet. Humans do too, but we think it is for chocolate. :D

CHOCOLATE??? CHOCOLATE??? DID YOU SAY CHOCOLATE????

Got any extra? Sharing?

mmmmmmm - chocolate................

I heard from real reliable sources (cough cough) that chocolate is loaded with vitamins, minerals and all kinds of nutrients and that we should enjoy it daily!

Should have seen him when he chomped a piece of jalapeno pepper I was chopping the other day. He spit that out fast and went flying for the water dish lol. I always tease that the dog is part goat and will try and eat anything.

Last edited:
I need to interject something serious here- perhaps ya'll know this already- or maybe not.

I'd always heard my whole life how chocolate can kill a dog. But, I was riased with big dogs who ate bits of chocolate here and there all the time and they seemingly were never affected.

A couple years back though, my sister's beloved l'il Maltese did in fact die from ingestion of chocolate. My poor Dad was dog-sitting at Easter time while my sister's family was away. Dad left the house and had an opened bag of chocolate-covered peanuts on the coffee table that Keesha got in to. When he returned home he noticed evidence of trouble... mini-piles all over the carpet that contained blood. Next day she was shivering & trembling, and cowering in corners, unable to eat or drink. A visit to the vet was not helpful. Doc told Dad that her organ functions would shut down one-by-one and that death would result. Dad and the vet did the humane thing. It was SO hard.

Bottom line- it's NOT a myth or urban legend. some dogs- especially small breeds can DIE from ingestion of chocolate. I didn't believe the hype either, until it happened to our family. Everyone in my clan are fans of tiny breeds too like Maltese, Yorkies, Min. Schnauzers, Westies, Scotties... so we now have to be extremely careful. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE use care for the beloved critters in your life.

Love the new Avatar! And I love what you posted here!

I worked at the Long Beach Animal hospital for the 2 yrs. we were stationed there and am fully aware of the fact that chocolate is poision to dogs, they should also not ingest onions, or garlic. You are absolutley correct.

I took if for granted & thought everyone know that chocolate is poisionous to dogs, thank you for pointing that fact out CanMan, heck it may just save some poochie's life:)

Jons guide dog was a big chocolate fan.
Jons Mom had come by once and left Jon and chocolate cream pie on top of his microwave.
J.D. who was a black lab somehow managed to get the pie and ate it all.
When Jon came in he found the empty pie pan in the middle of the floor.
Luckily the dog was fine.

You were lucky, Janie. Chocolate really can mess up a dog.

Ironically, chocolate is the only harmful thing most dogs will eat. They seem to know that things are not good for them, and will not willingly eat them---with that one major exception.

That thing with the pie happened before we met.
She should have known better than to leave it on the counter top.

yep...Chocolate and dogs don't mix....I had a friend who fed her baby hershy's kisses and he stayed sick. I kept telling her to stop...but she had to get the Vets opinion first. LOL...Glad I'm not a Dog since I'm a Chocolaholic ! But only for the Dark Chocolate.

jglass....I think all four of my dogs are part goat too ! They will eat just about anything !

Last edited:
What kind of dogs do you have?
Mine is half maltese and half yorkie with a good dash of chicken thrown in lol.

I have four Blue Heelers. They are very smart and inquisative and think they are human...lol..they follow me around everywhere.Had to banish them from the garden though because they like to chew on my veggies !

janie & mrsjimmyp,

I love all dogs but I tend to prefer medium to large critters. Right now I have a pair of cats in my condo 'cause they're easy... I owned a pair of salt n' pepper miniature schnauzers but they were kinda adopted by my niece & nephew cause my sister and her family babysat them for me during my long absences away at work in Alaska. When I moved back home permanently in March, I thought for a moment about bringing my pups back to the condo to finally live w/ me full-time, but just couldn't swipe them from my sister's little ones who had developed a bond with'em.

Everyone else in my family loves tiny dogs- they've had both Maltese's and Yorkies... both great breeds!

Minature schnauzers are my hubbys fav breed. We looked at them when we got the dog we have now. My dog is named Pooh after Winnie The Pooh. He was so small when I got him he rode home in Jons tshirt pocket. There were three different couple there that day and we all wanted Pooh. We got there first so she gave me first dibs. One of the other two couples there were young and they had a poodle they had bought from her. The other couple was an elderly couple and the wife had recently been diagnosed with cancer and was going to start chemo. Her husband wanted to get her a dog to help her through things. Poog would not have been a good dog for them. He is WAY to active.
I like healers. I had healer puppy once. My sis knew someone whose mother dog had gotten killed. They had the one puppy and wanted someone who was willing to bottle feed the little guy. I fed that little runt for weeks every three hours lol. He was vocal to say the least.

Back