What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Homemade Ice Cream?

jglass

Do you guys make homemade ice cream?

I have one of those electric crank Rival ice cream freezers that you use salt and ice in. We love to make sorbet and ice cream in it all year around. I got a killer chocolate ice cream recipe in one of my new books the other day that uses chocolate milk, sweetened condensed milk, cool whip and a few other things. Im looking forward to trying that one.

I make homemade ice cream all the time using my Oster Kitchen Center attachment. It uses the ice/salt method of churning and makes a quart or more at a time. Just right for one person.

how much are one of those i never thought of buyin one because i didnt think it really worked

Is using a machine that uses both ice and salt make tastier ice cream than the newer machines that just require you to put the churning bowl and blade in the freezer before use?

Has nothing to do with the taste of the ice cream. That comes from the recipe. What you are seeking is some way to get the mixture as cold as possible and stir the mixture so the ice crystals that form are small and uniform in size (creamy).

There are machines that use a "prefrozen" bowl that contains blue-ice or such material; some machines with a built-in freezing unit; and the conventional rock salt & ice method. I guess it is a matter of convenience or preference what you use.

With big families, the old-fashioned hand-cranked maker is the most fun, but it takes a lot of slave labor to keep the cranking going for 20-30 minutes or longer.

I got my ice cream maker for $17 on clearance.
Just like this one but a different color.
I had one that used the pre-frozen bowl but it didnt work well for me.

28b6tub.jpg

I'm old - I've got the old super-powered hand crank (wanna arm wrestle??? you won't win) and the electric model.

(sure you don't wanna arm wrestle???)

(bet I beat all you guys at churning butter!)

LOL

I'm old - I've got the old super-powered hand crank (wanna arm wrestle??? you won't win) and the electric model.

LOL

When I was little my grandparents used one of those old fashioned hand-crank wooden makers. We grandkids would all fight to get our turn at cranking it. Grandpa would add fresh hulled strawberries to his rich vanilla- and grandma would make a delicious warm peanut-butter sauce on the stove-top to pour over chocolate and vanilla. Yummy!

Speaking of churning butter...when I was a kid our family volunteered down at Lincoln's New Salem State Park in the summer. If you've never been, LNSSP is a tiny village of log cabins, with a school, general store, cooper shop, black-smith shop, etc. Abe lived there for a period as a young man.

Folks volunteer to work various roles/positions within the village in full costume for shifts in summer-time. Often my Dad worked a team of horses or oxen, or split fence rails, sometimes Mom made soap or candles, and we kids basically got into trouble! I remember Mom churning butter though and it was sure hard work! I remember they would add carrot trimmings to the butter for special occasions to make it yellow-orange, instead of boring white. Cool memories!

Last edited:
Sounds like cool memories indeed Kevin.

Jons brother has one of those you have to hand crank Mama. They got it at the flea market. They used it one year when we had the 4th of July cookout at their place. Jons brother and Dad took turns cranking it. It wasnt easy to crank either lol. Ill stick with electric lol.

LOL

Mama I know you'll win! I aint even wastin my money wagering on that one cause I aint dumb!

At least with churning butter you had a range of motions to even out the muscle building, though admittedly I've seen some wild gyrations from people while cranking the ice cream.

Mama I know you'll win! I aint even wastin my money wagering on that one cause I aint dumb!

You're catching on fast!!!

And look at the money you can make!!!

Sweet little ol' lady VS the Governator! Takes him down on the 3-count (didn't want to make him look too weak!) LOL

Back