What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's For Brunch?

K

KYHeirloomer

A friend is having family over and asked me to do a brunch for them.

We talked about all the usual suspects, but he wants something different.

So I'm wondering, what would y'all put out on a brunch for 11-12 people?

Funny you bring this up.. I am pretty sure I have never served brunch in my life.. In fact, the whole concept of it is foreign to me.. I would imagine it does involve some sort of fruit like cantaloupe etc., and light finger foods.. Perhaps some chicken salad?

Brunch is typically served late morning, Jafo. And contains elements of breakfast and light luncheon.

Eggs Benedict, for instance, would be a typical brunch dish. As would savory crepes.

Brunch also typically includes light alcoholic beverages, such as Bloody Marys, Mimosas, and the like.

Baked Cheese Crepes (I posted my favorite recipe here)
Maple Sausage Links
Your Kentucky Hot Browns
Crunch Top Potatoes (I will give recipe on the correct Thread)
Fresh Fruit Salad Served in a Carved Watermelon Basket
Homemade Yeast Rolls

And Champagne Cocktails of choice

Or do a Moroccan Brunch

Kefta Tagine with Lemon and Cilantro
Spicy Potato Omelete
Baked Pastries with Seafood
Spicy Eggplant and Tomato Salad
Watermelon Salad with rosewater and Lemon Balm
Homemade Flat Breads
Mint Tea (spiked if you like or hey do Mint Jueleps)

I will post recipes if you like these ideas (all recipes are in my cookbook: Flavors of Morocco)

If I were going that route, Cathy, I believe I'd have to include the Orange and Mint Salad. I believe I've posted the recipe in the past. If not, let me know.

Mint tea is one thing. Mint juleps are something else again---a waste of good mint and better bourbon, as anyone who's ever had a genuine one will attest.

At the Derby, and at Derby parties two things are always served strictly because they are traditional: Mint juleps and burgoo. But anyone who claims to truly enjoy either of them is right up there with the folks who claim to like the taste of tofu.

Believe it or not I have never tasted a Mint julep but I have had my own homemade Burgoo (which was of-course good because I always add my own touch to a recipe to make it to my tastes and liking).

I have so many thoughts on a special Brunch, with all the special Tapas and everything you know how to prepare so well I am sure you'll come up with a terrific spread!!

Last edited:
I didn't see your Orange & Mint salad posted under salad thread, perhaps you could post it. Is it really good? Hey don't forget the Avacado & Grapefruit salad I posted a while back, it'd be delicious and out of the ordinary, I highly recommend it, except for the fact that it could not be prepared in advance of the occassion as the avacados will turn:(

I have an Orange and Radish Salad with Green Olives in my Moroccan recipes, does that interest you at all? It's colorful.

Have you considered doing some mini kabobs?

It wouldn't have been on the salad forum, Cathy, but mixed in with those discussions we had on Moroccan food. Anyway, here it is again:

Slatit Bordgane
(Orange and Mint Salad

6 blood oranges (or sub tangerines) peeled, pith removed
2-3 tsp oragne blossom water
2 tbls orange peel, cut into fine matchsticks
3 tbls super fine sugar
About 3/4 cup water
Leaves from a bunch of fresh mint, finely shredded
3 1/2 oz blanched almonds, sliced, to decorate

Slice the peeled oranges thinly*, removing an seeds. Arrange in a glass bowl and sprinkle with the orange blowwom water

In a small saucepan, mix together the remaining ingredients and simmer over low heat for 15 minutes.

Pour the sauce over the oragnes and decorate with the almonds.

I take the time to supreme the oranges, as it makes a neater salad, IMO. Work over a small bowl to catch any juices, and add them to the saucepan while it reduces.

Wow Brook & Cathy... ya'll are really making me crave foods I ain't touched in a while!

The last 6 years of my career were spent in the work camps where we never did anything up fancy at all... in camps we made just good, homestyle grub and plenty of it- HUGE portions and LOTS available for the hungry workers. But prior to that was my time at more high-end properties that definitely included some elegant buffets and brunches.

From the employee standpoint I always loved working brunches 'cause they really gave the staff a chance to show-off talents that working the restaurant line and cooking off a menu really didn't give them the chance to showcase. I always had staff meetings Friday mornings where among other things we mapped out brunch and assigned tasks, and believe it or not I had staffers who normally didn't even work Friday mornings who showed up in their sweats and shorts simply so they could be included (at the Princess resorts where we also lived on premise, workers even came in their jammies!)- and so they'd get assigned some of the "funner" duties of Sunday Brunch.

Folks always loved specific chores like carving the ice, manning the omelet station, working the carving-station w/ the prime rib & ham & turkey breast, shucking oysters/clams, or preparing all the large mirrored displays like the fruit mirror, seafood displays, cheese, smoked salmon, etc. I also had a pair of girls who loved making the many compound salads every single week and they came up w/ the most colorful delicious salads I've ever seen/tasted!

As an employee who picked and munched off the brunch buffet all day long at work, and as a customer who often enjoys brunch out with family and friends my personal goal is to always eat small, light snippets of things to guarantee plenty of room in my belly for the largest variety of swiped-bites possible.

I always made room for one egg-benedict (I also love a crabcake or salmoncake bennie- minus the english muffin/bread- 'cause the bread takes up too much valueable real estate in my belly, don'cha know?!) and a tiny omelet filled w/ whatever but certainly topped w/ sour cream & salsa... fruit & cheese... I always required chocolate from the dessert table... I have a thing too for delicious peppery sausage-gravy on a biscuit or on an omelet.

At the Fairbanks Princess two of our most popular and demanded brunch entrees were Tequila-Marinated Flank Steak w/ sweet-corn salsa and Blue Cheese Halibut, and I crave both of these often. At the Kenai Princess which was a small property, we went through 300++ lbs. of iced snow-crablegs every Sunday. At the Denali Princess the waffle station & cheese blintzes were huge... at the McKinley Princess we couldn't prep enough fruit... seems though there were always "commonalities" at all locales- some places had their "thangs" they were just more known for, for whatever reason...

When I make brunch at home I usually cover the breakfast aspect with a smoked sausage/cheddar/sour-apple strata, always have melon & berries, always have salmon represented either as a chilled smoked apptzr or as a hot entree... and I'm a huge fan of beef. Dessert? Gotta have struesel coffee cake & chocolate mousse. Booze? Usually mild mimosas or bloody marys.

(today's avatar is a cheese tray from a brunch- I remember that silver tray well and loved working with it- it was from a country club I worked at about 20 years ago!)

Last edited:
Thank you for posting it again Brook, as I read it I do remember seeing it before, but where? I have no idea!
It sounds so delicious, especially if made with good flavored oranges.

Kevin, I need to beg your recipe for the Bleu Cheese Halibut, if you still have it or rememberit by heart, it sounds fabulous and you sound like an A+ Brunch Dude, and all that you mentioned sound just fabulous!

REALLY IS NOTHING THAT COMPARES TO A MEMORABLE BRUNCH!

Sure thang, Cathy... although I'm really bad about having "recipes" per se, that most consider "recipes"... my notes are basically hen-scratches that few can de-cypher or make sense out of... but here goes- hope you can make your way thru it!

(In the Paciific-Northwest there'a very popular traditional entree called "Halibut Olympia". It is a tender, flaky. meaty hali fillet served on a bed of bacon and caramelized onions, topped with a creamy mayo/cheddar topping and browned. YUM! This dish is based on that one...)

Blue Cheese Halibut

Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.

In whatever sized baking-dish you plan to use spread out a single layer of uncooked bacon-roughly one slice per portion. Place this in oven and cook until bacon is 3/4 done.

Meanwhile caramelize sliced onions in some butter. When baking dish of bacon has been removed from oven, spoon caremlized onions on top of 3/4 cooked bacon.

Place raw halibut fillet(s) atop bacon and onions. Season fish with a squeeze of lemon, salt & grated nutmeg. Place in oven and bake until 3/4 done.

Meanwhile in a bowl whisk together topping: per portion of hali- 2 T. mayo, 2 T. sour cream desired amount of crumbled bleu cheese (for me, the more, the better!), s & p.

When fish is 3/4 cooked, remove baking dish from oven and carefully spread (or if in a fancy mood, pipe w/ a star-tip) mayo/cheese mixture on top. Sprinkle w/ nutmeg & paprika. Return to oven to complete cooking and brown- may flash it under broiler for some final sunshine if the hot oven doesn't make it quite golden enuf.

Voila! Ready to serve and enjoy! I like serving this w/ a pecan/rice pilaf and asparagus spears. (for the Hali Olympia, substitute shredded cheddar in place of crumbled bleu.)

Last edited:
I guess it is just me then.. When I look down at my waist, I come to the conclusion that I must ignore any meal that comes between breakfast and lunch.. :)

I follow ya, Jafo! The biggest trouble I have w/ brunch is getting all the dishes washed in time to prepare a decent lunch-spread!

One of my FAVS:

"My doctor told me to stop hosting intimate dinner-parties for four, unless at least two others were invited!" -Orson Wells

Back