What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wheeee! Earthquake!

CanMan

Just had a 5.8 Earthquake here in the Los Angeles, Southern California area. No major damage. I can live with quakes that size. Sure gets the heart pumpin' when it first strikes.....like a mack truck hitting the house and then 30 seconds of rolling. You never know what the intensity will be so you just hold on waiting......

Well, there is one benefit of East Coast living. :)

We do get them here from time to time but they are so minor, most people don't notice them.

I just got done putting out an SOS for you to let us know that you're OK. Am glad you posted and in doing so put my mind to ease, gosh after all those conversations we just had back a week or so ago, I got all concerned when I saw the BREAKING NEWS: 5.8 HITS L.A. SCROLL ACROSS THE SCREEN!

Have you ever considered relocating?

P.S. I have to agree with you, they are kind of fun and the adrenaline rush is awesome when they hit!!!

Last edited:
Yes, I once considered relocating. That's when I moved from Indiana (-20° F) to Southern California. :D I've gone through some big ones here. The Northridge quake was a scary one and that's what comes to mind when one hits...."Will this be the BIG one?" goes through your mind.

When this one hit, my first instinct was to grab my new digital TV and keep it from moving off the table.

:D NO DOUBT, I'D GRAB IT TOO!!! THEY COST A PRETTY PENNY!

One hit when I lived in Carmel, CA and I recall crawling under my desk at work. I was on the phone at that exact moment with someone from Michigan and I remember saying "Excuse me while I crawl under my desk, I will keep talking to just from under there!" She laughed and said "Are you serious?" To which I replied very seriously "Heck yeah I'm serious!" She and I started laughing and our whole conversation went into a totally different direction:)

They are fun as long as they are not too serious! Kind of like a good hurricane, I used to love hurricanes as a child, then the darned things became some sort of a nightmare in my adult life. I rode out Andrew that devistated the Gulf Coast area of Alabama in the late 70's. Then the most recent was Katrina when living on the Mobile Bay, it was horrendous! :mad:

Just this past Saturday we had a flash flood here and my entire backyard (garden and chicken coup included) were under 1 foot of water for about a good hour :mad: I am so disheartened with my gardening right now! Made a real mess of things and I just feel let down. Alot of sweat and toil went into that garden! And I've just enjoyed the heck out of it until now:( I pulled up my green bean plants they looked awful. I picked off all the ripe beans and washed them thoroughly and cooked and ate them myself (I didn't want to chance my family getting sick figured I'd be the guinea pig)and they kind of made my tummy feel bummy, but we have sewer system here and it did not over flow in our area so I think it will be OK. Plus I took the hose and tried washing all the mud off my plants.

I keep thinking it was for the best, now we know not to buy that house. And I keep tossing around the idea in my head where would be the safest place to live? Weather wise and everything else included.....I am open to suggestions by the way!:)

Another 3.6 quake. Just enough to keep people's nerves on edge. I guess we are well beyond the 30-quake count by now. It was 27 at 1pm, but most were too small to feel. Only two that were in the 3+ level. Now they are saying the first quake was a 5.4 not a 5.8.

I don't think there is any place on this planet that could be considered "safe". There's always some danger wherever we are sitting. Just always wear your football helmets and skating pads. :)

Back