What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mom's let's talk after school snacks!!!

Now that school has started back I want to sharesome ideas about some after school snacks and let's all share our ideas. One of my new favorites is:

Chocolate/P-nut Butter Frozen Banana Popsicles
MAKES 6

3 Bananas
3/4 cup of chocolate chips
1 tbsp. real butter
2 tbsp. p-nut butter

Peel bananas and cut into half place each half on a wooden stick (I used bamboo skewers cut in half) and lay them on a plate or small cookie sheet covered with saran wrap and freeze 2 hours do not allow them to touch. Place the ch. chips, butter and p-nut butter into a small high ball glass and microwave until melted, remove from microwave and stir until well mixed. Place each banana into chocolate to cover completely if needed use a kitchen knife to frost the entire banana half. Lay back onto saran wrap and pop into the freezer just until chocolate is set (this only takes a few minutes, get out 6 baggies and wrap each banana pop individually. If you have 1 child this will be a after school treat for the enitre week and 1 for Mom or Dad to sample:)

These are SO easy and fun for the kids to help make!!!

Ha! Lord knows I've heard THAT before, Cath!

My mom used to freeze half batches of chocolate chip cookies for later in the week thinking it would keep my brother and I outta them. L'il did she know- chocolate chip cookies are even BETTER frozen! YUM!

Cathy,

I think always having a "bottomless" bowl of prepped carrots/celery/radishes and other garden goodies in the fridge is a great place to start. Also fresh grab-'n-go whole pieces of fruit... (ever try freezing grapes or oranges for a chilly treat?- YUM!) to encourage healthy eating.

Plus, one can do make-ahead bar cookies like brownies, shortbreads and such freezing individually-wrapped pieces that are easy to grab "n thaw. Your banana-sickles idea is fantastic, as are muffins, yogurt-cups, cereal, popcorn, microwave oatmeal... and all the other usual stuff...

Does anyone know the recipe for those things that you make with canned oriental Rice Noodles and melted Butterscotch Chips? I want to make those up for my youngin and don't have a recipe:confused: HELP MAMAM!!!

Hey Cathy,

My sister calls these "Haystcks" and her neighbor calls them "Beaver Dams". They're sure yummy though- no matter what you decide to call them!

HAYSTACKS

1 bag (12 oz. size) chocolate chips
1 bag (12 oz. size) butterscotch chips
1 package (18 oz. size) chow mein noodles
2 cups salted peanuts, chopped

Directions:
Heat chocolate and butterscotch chips in double boiler, or microwave until soft. Add chow mein noodles and peanuts. Form into balls and cool on waxed paper or just drop spoonfuls of mixture on waxed paper. Let cool until firm.

* For extra taste & texture add healthy golden raisins, dried cherries, dried berries or apricots, dried apples or peaches...

Back