What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got our First Egg Today!!! Yeah!!!!

I went out to feed the "Girls" and 2 remaining "Boys" (the ones who have nice manners and weren't made into Pot Pie) and lo and behold.... there was a beautiful little brown egg laying right beside their water container:)

Now this past weekend I bought a fake Plaster Egg and put it into their nesting box to try and give them a subtle "Hint". Every little tourist shop in Renfroe Valley sells these fake eggs, I guess folks like to buy them for ornamental purposes, but I was tickeled to find one to use for my "Greater Purpose"! Appears it worked Yee-Hawwwwww nothing like fresh eggs:)

Congratulations ! thats great... what kind of Chicks do you have ?.....I can't wait till my hens start laying....they are almost 5 months old so they should be starting soon....How old are your hens ?

I'm surprised the two roosters don't fight.. Congrats on the eggs. If we didn't get 10 feet of snow here in the winter, I might consider getting some, I am just afraid they would be poultrycicles by January.

Ok - so tell us - what are you making with your one egg??? maybe a frittatta for us all to enjoy??? Or deluxe egg salad sandwiches for us all???? How about pickled eggs??? Or are you just going to bronze it and engrave the date on it???

BTW - congrats! I know you will get many more!

We'll get the egg recipes ready for ya!

Thanks Francie & Jafo!

My hens are almost exactly 5 months old - we purchased them as 1-2 day old biddies on St. Patrick's Day March 17th!!! We have in the Hen category 1: Rhode Island Red 2: Plymouth Rocks 1: Araucana (georgeous little thing) 1: Buff Orphington and 1: Solid Black Astralorps with pretty iriquois green hues when the light reflects off her feathers! Then we have 2Buff Orphington Roosters. The Buff Orphington's are very gentle in nature and docile they are rather large bodied chickens and I now love going out there these big old docile birds just cluck and seem very happy to see me!

The other Roosters were mean as could be and threatening to spur me every time I entered the coup, boy did they make good Pot-Pie though:D
With those 4 bully Roosters gone our hen house is very serene;)

Jafo I believe on a train trip I once made from NY City to Long Island NY we passed through a place where there were many chicken farms, they were Rhode Island Red's, I guess they just have to keep them in a heated coup? Could you not do something similar? By the way I think I may have lost that bet, want to give ole' Molly another day or so before we procliam you the winner? I am going to get you a fabulous recipe if you win!?!;)

Ok - so tell us - what are you making with your one egg??? maybe a frittatta for us all to enjoy??? Or deluxe egg salad sandwiches for us all???? How about pickled eggs??? Or are you just going to bronze it and engrave the date on it???

BTW - congrats! I know you will get many more!

We'll get the egg recipes ready for ya!

Well my hungry little 8 yr. old wants it scrambled for her breakfast tomorrow morning, she actually wanted it this morning, but I told her we had to enjoy at least 1 day looking at the pretty little thing!!! LOL

I'm counting on it Mama!!!

Jafo I believe on a train trip I once made from NY City to Long Island NY we passed through a place where there were many chicken farms, they were Rhode Island Red's, I guess they just have to keep them in a heated coup? Could you not do something similar? By the way I think I may have lost that bet, want to give ole' Molly another day or so before we procliam you the winner? I am going to get you a fabulous recipe if you win!?!;)

Well, there is a big difference between LI and where we are in upstate NY. LI hardly gets any snow, but we get hammered with it here. The village in fact gives out these little poles with flags on the top to mount on your car bumper so people can see each other when driving through the village streets. :eek: It is not uncommon to get 25 degrees below zero here. I am afraid without a barn, the chickens would have a tough time of it.

As for Molly, I suppose we can give her a couple more days, who knows. I have a feeling any day now she or an accomplice will post a "convenient" link to a site that is supposed to answer her question. ;)

Congrats, Cathy! Woo-Hoo! Maddy's gonna love that scrambled egg in the morning- YUM!

I've never raised chickens. I remember goin' to Gramma's though and they did. I remember that hatchet and the old railroad tie "block" where the deed took place... then metal garbage cans out in the gravel lane full of boiling water where the headless thangs were plunged to soften the feathers's hold so they could be plucked.

I also remember if Gramma only needed one or 2 hens for a meal she'd go out and pet and play with'em all innocent and friendly-like. She'd select her pair and do the dirty deed with nothing more than her finger and thumb, and a giant couple of swirls in the air! Those sucker's would go flyin' and spurtin' all over the yard. Golly-Moses!

Those were the good ole days- but for wuss's like me, there's somethin' to be said for today's clean convenience of speeding thru a drive-thru to get your nuggets! Ha!

My Granny Granny did that too Kevin...and made me help her ! To this day the stench of those feathers in boiling water is still with me ! I do not buy whole chickens that have to be cut up ...I coulld not eat a bite of it after cooking it...lol..told ya...I'm picky with food.

Cathy...I have 2 Black Astralorps ..2 Buff Orpingtons...1 Silver Laced Wyandotte 5 Whiteleghorns and 4 Domineque Hens 1 not sure lol she has feathers on her feet... and 1 Domineque Rooster

:) How neat Francie, I love mine and know you must love yours too! They are so pretty and sweet. 'Course I really loved my Rooster in that pot pie best:D I do not pluck mine and all that bother pulling feathers out, GROSS I just skin my meat and use it with out going to all that trouble, when I stew my chicken I don't keep the skin anyway so why go to the trouble. And I chop their heads off I do not ring their necks. I knock them unconscious first and one good bob and they are out and never know when their neck is chopped off!

Just my way!

Can you believe that as a youngster I would go chasin' after the birds' heads after Grandma high-power-swirled them through the air, snatching their noggins off, and I'd carry one around and actually PLAY with it? I remember looking up-close into the eye, "brushing" the bird's "comb" with my finger-tips, petting the feathers, etc. I musta been some sorta freak-kid or something- HA! But, to this day, chicken of ANY kind is still my FAV Sunday Dinner!

:D Yes Kevin dear we realize you were a wacky kid, but I really hate to break the news to you, I read about a guy just like that in "Of Mice and Men" his name was Lenny and he weren't quite right (he liked pettin soft things). So the story had a real bad endin' for ole' Lenny and I jest think you ought not to be tellin' folks about yer petting dead chiken heads an all, why heck some wierd o might come lookin to shoot you or sumptin! That's kind a how it ended for poor Lenny & all. And I really like you and maybe we just ought to fergit ya ever said that :D

And on a more serious note I love me some fried chicken too!!!! Yes sir-ree it does taste good goin' down!! M-m-m-m-m good!

Dang, Cathy! I plum fergot about ole Lenny! (what a great book/movie, huh?) But as you say, maybe it's best to keep that story jes between us, then- huh? (Yikes!)

Has any one seen the one egg frying pan? They are so cute. I bought mine at Target and love it. It does one fried egg perfectly. You can even use it to melt small amounts of butter. I use mine all the time, it's fun. Cookie :rolleyes:

Cookie I will look for it, sounds nice to have!

Kev, my lips are zipped.

I wept like a lil ole snot nosed baby when I read that book, I had fallen in love with Lenny and it was just soooo heartbreaking I just couldn't stand
it:( Darn that John Steinbeck was an awesome author!!! Have you ever read his book called (I believe) "Travels with Charlie"? It is about a trip he made driving across America with his dog Charlie, I laughed so hard at some of the parts. And I loved Cannery Row, also Tortilla Flats, my Gosh I wish he were still alive and spinning us his tales WHAT A GREAT GIFTED MAN HE WAS!!!!

What to do with our resident bad boy Kev ! I know....make a thriller Movie about Kev playing with chicken heads......that torments lil old Grannies !

Just as long at the "me" in the movie can be played by "The Rock", Francie!

(Beautiful pink/peach/apricot sunset in your new avatar, Cath!)

Back