What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Julia Child "NEWS"?

chubbyalaskagriz

As cooks, most of us pro'lly adored Mrs. Julia Child (still do!). I know I was raised watching her shows on PBS and she's always been my #1 kitchen idol (My Mom came in at a distant second!).

In case you haven't had time to see- Julia's plastered all over the news today in print and on the tube. It appears w/ the recent release of previously top-secret WW2 documents, much of the world is now learning that Mrs. Child was a "spy".

Well, Julia was always honest and upfront with us- though I'm sure there likely were certain bits of info she was prohibited from sharing openly.

Inside the jacket of even her earliest two cookbooks her author bio plainly stated that after graduation from Smith College she joined the OSS (Office of Strategic Services- the predecessor of today's CIA) and went to Ceylon and China to work. There she met her hubby, Mr. Paul Child- then after the war they transferred to France where Julia reluctantly decided to learn to cook (in her early forties!). The rest of course- is HISTORY!

Julia's always been a legendary hero in my book- and this "new" recent news- though freaky & quirksome to many- does nothing but add to her character- and show the devotion to her causes, in my eyes. She and I differ politically (she was a staunch liberal Democrat- and I'm a l'il more conservative on certain issues) so some may begin to see her as "James Bond", or a Tom Clancy charcater... I will always see her though as the adorable Grande Dame of Cuisine who was just as at home whisking a hollandaise and folding a mousse, as she was pouring ketchup onto a perfectly-made cheese-burger.

God Bless you, Mrs. Child, and Bon Appetit!

(BTW- keep an eye out for the movie about Julia coming out in '09- Meryl Streep plays her! Also- visit her famous Cambridge home-kitchen complete with hickory work-island, aqua-colored peg-board/pan-rack, and hanging copper pans at Washington DC's Smithsonian Institute. Lastly- ALL of her books are now in print again- many available USED at Amazon for ridiculously-cheap prices! EVERY home cook needs at least one Julia Child cookbook in their collection! Visit Amazon by way of Brook's Chef Talk channels because if you make a purchase via that route, it benefits him gloriously!) :)

Last edited:
Sh did lead a very interesting life! I have not yet read the article, but will now. I meant to earlier and got interupted!

Thanks for sharing Kev!

I may be the only one who thinks this - but I don't feel she was that great of a cook or baker! She paved the way for other women - but in the beginning days of cook shows there really wasn't much to pick from - Julia Child, James Beard, and some hometown heros (Like Meet the Millers) in this area, etc.

As years passed I swear she was half pickled doing her shows!

Well, I think part of her appeal- especially at the time, was that she and Beard definitely were pioneers, mama. Heck, before the days of Food Network there was very little out there and her books, shows and work definitely paved the way. Without Julia- there never woulda been a Martha, Ina, or Rachel that's for sure! Part of her charm for me was always her honesty and her comfort with admitting her faults, flaws and mistakes.

Also- despite the name chosen for her, for a book and accompanying tv program ('The French Chef'), many called her a "chef" though she herself never claimed to be one. In fact she often made a clear distinction between what she did at home and on the air- and what professionals did day-in and day-out in the work-place. I love her t' death!

She was quirky for sure and I loved to watch her just to hear her talk !

aha - so it's HER fault we got Martha Stewart! (can you tell I am NOT a MS fan??)

One thing - I don't care how popular Julia was - I watched enough of her to know that I would not want her in my kitchen throwing out can openers, knives, etc. that she did not like! She was a hoot!

:D Now just to throw a little fuel on the fire :eek: I have to ask but one simple question........if Julia Child and Martha Stewart aren't that good then why their "rise to the top" and popularity and resulting success? Think over that one a while ya' all, and maybe consider the fact, they got gumption and some sort of a drive to compel them to do what they did!!! Or hey maybe they just had great connections:confused:

:pJust "food for thought" guys & gals;)

I never watched either one of them that much (used to be outspoken in how BORING they were) I do not watch most any of the ones on Food Network now, but I do so admire their tanacity and success! And I have actually come to find Martha Stewart very informative now. Not that I would watch her that much......

Ok - Of course Julia was popular - she was a pioneer - and there wasn't any competition "back then" - and she did some really odd things as well.

Now on to MS - whom I cannot stomach at all - she did not make her show - it was all the chefs and cooks that gave her the recipes that made her rich. When you really think about it - she cannot cook. If you really watch her - there is very little she can do. She is a copycat - a wannabe Jill of all trades - and she lied about her roots.

She is from Buffalo - she and her mom always shopped at the Broadway Market - their neighborhood market - which now that area is quite run-down. Yes she did move from there - but she is quite ashamed of it and won't admit it.

I've watched her - caught her on many lies - have no use for liars in my life.

Too bad she wasn't still behind bars.

Cathy,

It's funny how opposite all our views can be. Julia & Martha are actually my two ALL-TIME favs. Always have been. I have a couple others too. And other folks have favs who I'm not drawn to on any level...

I think for many folks it's a personality thing. Understandably many cannot stand Julia's nervous, giggly chuckle and high-pitched, strange voice. And for many, Martha is a cold "w"itch. And I get this- 'cause I see these traits that make some feel this way about both of them.

There are many popular cooking personalities (and personalities in general- whether they be celebs or next-door-neighbors) who don't appeal to all of us for whatever reason- though their popularity is strong with others. I think it's just a "beauty-in-the-eye-of-the-beholder thang, myself! We can't all love everybody! Somebody somewhere's dislikin' Mother Teresa, for cryin' out loud... and I'm sure that contrary to popular belief- not everybody everywhere loved Lucy! Ha!

Last edited:
Somebody, somewhere don't like YOU, Cathy? No! Tell me where they live! I'm gonna KICK THEIR AZZ! Ha!

It is weird though. My Dad cannot STAND Carol Burnett or Dolly Parton. And I'm like DAD- these are two of the most beloved women in ALL of American culture! What's WRONG with you? Crazy, huh? But... he can't even watch them on TV- has to get up and walk away. My Dad says hearing Dolly's voice is like hearing finger-nails on a chalkboard for him. Of course this breaks my heart 'cause these are my two all-time FAV divas of ALL TIME!

Wierd huh! Or maybe it's linked back to that old saying "Variety is the Spice of Life"!!! And "different strokes for different folks" and my OWN favorite "It sure would be a boring world if we were all just alike"!

Yeah Kev I had a few husbands that put off some negative vibes like they no longer cared so after 13 yrs w/ #1 well I booted him, and ya' know funny thing is he kicked like he** and raised the roof when he found out I was done, then #2 after 15 yrs kinda gave off those same negative vibes and so I booted him too and you know he also reacted the same as #1 when I said "Adios amigo don't let the door hit you where the light don't shine on your way out"! And the funniest thing: the worst thing he could say about me was (Now get this it's plumb pitiful) I would not allow him to smoke in the house. Now give me a break! Hump I had a baby in the house who could not choose, I chose for her and asked that smoking be done outdoors to save her little lungs! Well anyhow that is my story of those who hated and resented me for what it's worth. And 'aint it funny after all was said and done I always heard what a wonderful wife and mother I was from them, now go figure!?!?! Wow even I have a darned "Soap Opera" to tell, my Eddie simply says "Their loss is my Gain" Bless his heart!!! And still I am living happily ever after....hee-hee!!!

Crazy story, Cathy. And as you say- it's all balanced out correctly now w/ Eddie. If not for those rough and tumble times- you never woulda been in the correct position to meet and fall for him. So... good for you!

That whole smoking thing is so weird to me. I have dear friends in Wasilla, Alaska. They both happen to smoke. BUT, they have two baby boys- they bought a new home about 4 years ago and they have NEVER ONCE smoked inside their house. They step outside onto the deck even in winter when it's minus 50 degrees to take puffs when they need them! I call that dedicated! Now, if Liz and Rusty can go outside in the Alalska cold to indulge in their beloved cigs- then by Gawd anyone anaywhere oughta be able to! And that's how I view that.

I grew up in a house of smokers- though I never did, myself. I didn't realize how awful it was until years after I left when I went back to visit. No one in my family smokes today thank goodness- but it was terrible! I remember their yellowed discolored ceilings and walls... I recall having to wash my clothes and coat 2-3 times to get the stench out... and going to Goodwill and buying dirt-cheap falling-apart luggage to travel back home with so that when I got back to my own home after a week or two of visiting them, I could just throw the luggage away due to the awful stink of the old, stale smoke. Just awful.

I won't infringe on anyone's right to smoke- I ain't that way- I'm all for personal choice. But I can't be near it.

Last edited:
Getting back on topic, I'm really amused by all those "Julia The Spy" stories.

First off, it was never a secret that she was in the OSS. All the newly declassified material does is give us some specifics of what she did.

But the media is in love with the word spy. The fact that they use it incorrectly doesn't matter to them a wit. There is always something dramatic about blasting the word in giant letters.

There is, in what is laughingly referred to as the intelligence community, a standard argot. All agencies use it. Whether the KGB, the Shin Bet, the Deuxemme Burea, MI6 or the CIA. Or any other intelligence agency. When describing covert operators:

Our people (whoever our is) are, depending on job, officers or operatives. People who work for our people are agents. The other guys are spies.

So, the only people to whom Julia The Spy applies are the other side; the bad guys. They would think of her as a spy. They and the NY Times, that is.

Brook-

Also this week in the news was the discovery of the "corpse of a Bigfoot". (!!!) My guess is, the same folks who take the Julia-the-spy story seriously also are closely watching these Sasquatch developments, too! Hee-Hee!

And here's the really fun part we are going camping in that area of GA on Labor Day weekend, I told Eddie we may have to lay low as there may be maniacs out there wating to bag another Bigfoot and they might mistake Eddie for him:D Eddie got a kick out of that when I told it to him, he is so funny!

Back