What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salt or Sugar?

chubbyalaskagriz

Juicy, vine-ripened red tomatoes are a food I have always enjoyed with a liberal sprinkling of salt. Though many seem to prefer salt AND pepper... or even SUGAR!

Watermelon also is something I always salted- guess that's just 'how I roll'! But I hear tell of folks who also pepper it- and sugar it!

There are other foods some tend to salt- that others prefer to sugar.

Do you salt or sugar? And with what foods do you prefer which?

(I can just see a whole new Abbot & Costello "Who's on first?" skit developing outta this thread!) :)

:mad: Salt on watermelon UGH! I eat mine plain, tomatoes also, although I used to use salt on them (outgrew it I guess) and I knew one idiot (an ex so I can call him that:D) that put salt & pepper on canteloupe:eek: Now I apologize I do not want to offend anyone their eating preferences, but why ruin a perfectly good thing with salt and pepper:confused:

I do salt & pepper potatoes, and corn, broccoli, and asparagus! And occassionally an avacado, but as I get older I like 'avacados plain!

To me the salt really brings out the sweetness of watermelon, Cathy. In fact, sometimes to me a watermelon seems to lack sweetness until I salt it- weird, huh?

In addition to salting melons I've also heard of peppering them too- like your ex w/ his canteloupe. And like you, that seems a bit over-the-top, to me- but hey- I don't have to eat it! Ha!

I don't use salt much but I do shake a l'il on corn on the cob, broccoli, hard-boiled eggs and tomatoes.

Also- my Mom was Southern- definitley no Italian like mama... but when Mom made spaghetti sauce she always said- "With tomato sauces- ya gotta salt'em... and ya never add salt to tomato sauce without adding an equal amount of sugar!"

"It wasn't a Southern watermelon that Eve took- we know this because she repented!" -Mark Twain

Last edited:
I dont like salt or sugar on watermelon or cantaloupe. I like them cold and plain.
If I am eating raw tomatoes I like salt..no pepper. If Im roasting tomatoes I like a tiny bit of pepper,salt and evoo. I have seen people eat salt on oranges. I like salt with my granny smith apples lol. I dont like salt on carrots but I like it on corn, taters, asparagus, broccoli, cauliflower and greens. I always season my salad lettuce/greens with salt and pepper before dressing them.

I was brought up salting watermelon and apples - and to eat tomatoes plain.

I even eat grapefruit without sugar on it. Ditto with lemons.

I use salt in all my cooking - so we never salt after it is done.

And a sprinkle of sugar on your bread and butter or buttered toast is good too.

Kev...I love Salt on my watermelon and Tomatoes....as you...It seems to bring out more flavor...just my opinion...I use light salt ...and not much of that anymore though I have a touch of high blood pressure so try to watch what I eat.I have been known to srinkle a tad of black pepper on Canteloupe.......and another strange combo I like every now and then is....mayo on my black eyed peas ! Has to be Blueplate though ! lol.....

I never heard of salt on watermelon ewe :( I love salt on pop corn and yea I like salt sometimes on tomatoes. Black pepper on cantaloupe I never heard of that. I love pepper and eggs. It's fun to see what combinations people like. Cookie :)

Kev...that's a Name Brand of Mayo....Blueplate is a staple in this household ! lol and in the South too most likely

Oh- I recall now, Francie... I must have read it in "Screen Doors & Sweet Tea" the cookbook by Mississippi chef Martha Hall Foose- just read that one recently... I'm pretty sure she mentioned it. We don't have that brand here in Illinois- but I like Helmann's best- which is sold as "Best Foods" on the west-coast and in Alaska...

:DI like Hellman's OK But BluePlate is the better (just my opinion)! But I really love homemade the very best and now that the girls are starting to lay - I am going HOMEMADE MAYO all the way YEAH!!!!! Sooooo much better and WAY cheaper than store bought!!! Francie have you ever made it? Let me tell you I used to when I had laying hens before and as I expressed it is really good!

Back