What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stunning Backwoods Berry Pie

chubbyalaskagriz

Volume Pie Pastry Recipe

6 lb. butter, chopped into bits and frozen
8 lb. flour, from the freezer-bin
2 c. 5 oz. ice-water
3 T. salt
4 eggs
1/4 c. distilled vinegar

This is the recipe I used at Alaskan work-camps

Stunning Back-Woods Berry Pie

“A boy doesn't have to go to war to be a hero; he can say he doesn't like pie when he sees there isn't enough to go around.” ~E.W. Howe

I promise that absolutely nothing is more impressive than a homemade berry pie being removed piping-hot from the oven right before the wide eyes and watering mouths of your supper-guests! This recipe is versatile and may be made using any in season berry- or for winter-time ease when berries have long since been picked you can use frozen berries as well. In fact, now that I think about it, this pie isn’t limited to berries alone, for I have used it for all fruit pies including apple and peach, again using either fresh or frozen product.

4 c. fresh berries
1 t. lemon juice
1 c. sugar
3 T. flour
1/2 t. grated lemon zest
dash of salt
1/2 t. cinnamon
1 T. butter

2 t. milk
1 T. sugar

1 recipe pie pastry for double-crust pie

In a medium bowl, place the berries and sprinkle with lemon juice, set aside.
Line 9-inch pie plate with rolled-out pastry (slightly more than half of a single pastry recipe, reserving remaining half for top-crust).
In a small bowl combine sugar, flour, lemon zest, salt, and cinnamon. Add this mixture to berries, stirring well. Pour into pie shell. Dot with butter.
Top with remaining rolled-out crust, seal edges and crimp using your preferred method (I crimp the very same way I watched my Mom do it when I was a little boy, her squeeze/twist method using thumb & index finger). Also- you may use a classic lattice-crust or a full top-crust with slits cut in to allow steam to escape- your choice). Brush assembled/crimped pie w/ milk & sprinkle with sugar. Chill assembled, raw pie for at least one hour. Then bake at 350 for one hour.​

Last edited:
Back