What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi...is this where you wanted me to come?!

E

erinw16

Hi everyone...I have already posted on a thread re: banana peppers, and was scolded for sneaking in through the backdoor...so using my amazing computer prowess (haha!) I have managed to find this page and start a new thread in which to introduce myself.

I am a 30-something mom of 4 and have been gardening for 3 years. I learn more each year and have been trying new canning recipes each year.

I love to cook just about anything, though pie crusts still defy my abilities. The dough boy and I are pals when it comes to that, so I can focus more on the filling! :) My family loves to eat, so I have lots of opportunities to perfect my cooking skills. I have, howver, just returned to full time work in a high school after a nine year hiatus of being a mom. So lately my cooking has been mostly whatever I can throw together quickly and easily after work so we can eat in time to watch the Olympics! (Yes-I am a junkie!)

Okay, so do you know me now? Am I allowed to post now? I hope my front door entry was acceptable. :)

lol...yes you can post !...It's just nice manners for members to say hello first . I hope you enjoy your stay with us and use your "amazing computer prowess".
We are a nutty bunch sometimes but all in good nature. Being a Mom of 4 I know keeps you busy.Jump right in and join us whenever possible.

As you can tell, I am a newbie to this kind of thing...I was doing a google search for banana pepper recipes and it brought me to that thread, so I jumped in and replied...I am horrified (okay, maybe that word is too harsh for what I'm feeling!) that my manners were so poor for not introducing myself...I didn't know that etiquette standard. Thanks for the tip!

:)oh well...lol...your excused ! No need to be horrified...I look forward to getting to know you "online ".

Howdy Again, Erin-

(Sorry about the "ErWin" slip! Sometimes I transpose my letters when I'm hyped-up on chocolate!

We're glad you're here- this is a really cool place to be, so jump right in and have a BLAST!

erWin

No biggie...erwin actually used to be my "nickname" at one of the many restaurants I worked at in high school/college.

I plan to have a blast...I love new ideas and recipes, and this seems to be THE place to come for folks like me! :rolleyes:

Ok Guys She's Official Are You Happy Now?!?!?

:derin,

We Love Having You Aboard And It Don't Matter One Bit By Which Means You Did It, Just So Great You Found Spice Place (sp) And We Are Like One Big Crazy "foodie Family" And Have Fun And Learn And Share And Even Kid Each Other Alot, We Seldom Fight And Never Bite And We Love New Family Members.....so Welcome!!!

LOL Cathy...you write like I talk...just one big long sentence, and everything starts with a cap (like when I talk-LOUD!)...I gotta say, from what I've seen, you nutty folks are my kinda folks! :D

I wouldn't persactly say scolded, Erin. More like urged.

But from the tone of voice in your intro, you're gonna fit right in here.

Welcome again.

Hi erin - Mama here - don't be afraid of pie crusts!

Read our thread on sauces (if you can believe that one) and you will find very easy pie crust recipes. don't ask how it happened - it just did.

(gotta love the loonies here!)

Pie crusts in the sauces thread....hmmm..okay, that works for me! Thanks for the tip, maybe one day soon I'll be brave enough to give it a try. I do have some fresh blueberries that my mom sent me from Michigan that would be great in her dutch blueberry cheese pie....yum, now my mouth is watering!

:DAnd she's a tease, now come on Erin...you just gotta share the dutch blueberry cheese pie recipe, not fair to get us all drooling for some...:D we need the recipe, it sounds delicious!!!

Okay...no more teasing! This is my mom's recipe and she always tells people one tidbit when sharing it, so I will pass it on, too. It is a bit temperamental and doesn't always set up well...sometimes it is just a runny purple mess. But regardless of how it sets up, it is always delicious! Maybe one of you will have a suggestion on how to get it to set up better.

Dutch Blueberry Cheese Pie

Pastry for 9-inch pie, single crust

8 oz. cream cheese
1 egg
1/3 c. sugar
1/2 t. vanilla

4 c. blueberries (I have used both fresh and frozen)
3/4 c. sugar
3 T. tapioca
1/4 t. cinnamon (optional, to taste)

Topping:
2/3 c. flour
2/3 c. brown sugar
3 T. butter

Beat cream cheese, egg, 1/3 c. sugar and vanilla until fluffy.
Pour into unbaked pie shell.
Mix blueberries, sugar and tapioca with cinnamon. Pour over cheese mixture in pie shell.
Cut butter into flour and brown sugar; crumble over berries.

Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes. Cover edges of crust with foil if they brown too quickly.

ENJOY!!

Last edited:
have you tried cooking the berries with the sugar and cinnamon; then adding the cornstarch or the tapioca to thicken? Some will cook half the berries, thicken and remove from heat, add the remaining berries and then fill the crust.

in place of tapioca you can use cornstarch with water to make a paste -

there are several options when making fruit pies

here's another old tip - to thicken the juices of the fruit, mix flour with the sugar used for sweeteneing pie. When using an under crust, sprinkle the lined pie pan with part of the combined sugar and flour before turning in the fruit, and cover the fruit with flour and sugar before adjusting the upper crust to the pie.

cook or not to cook the berries or half the berries - that is your choice

you can play around with this easily

Back