What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi, I'm Big Daddy's Kitchen!

• Thread starter Big Daddy's Kitchen
  • Start date
B

Big Daddy's Kitchen

Hi Everyone!

I love to cook! Not all the time, but I think I'd like to say most of the time at least.

I like to watch the Food Network an awful lot, day and night. Love to see the many cooking shows there! I'm an avid fan of Aaron McCargo Jr.!

My name is derrived from Aaron's pilot show (BDK for short) when he was running in the finale of The Next Food Network Star. He won in the finale, as he became the top winner, followed by Adam and Lisa, who were also given their own FN shows as well. I'm so glad that Aaron became the top winner!! He deserved it, as he worked so hard and fought vigorously for his place in a panthion of contestants and power! My avatar shows a picture of him.

Aaron is the newest member to join the Food Network family! His cooking show however, was rename Big Daddy's House. He's done some fantastic dishes on the show that I'd love to try myself. Like he says, he brings big bold flavors and tastes to his show!

I'll be visiting here from time to time. You can call me BDK, BD or Big D or Big Daddy for short, if you want to. I like that. Talk to you guys soon! Thank you:)

Last edited:
Aha!

Ignore my post on Maner's intro, BDK. I found you through the back door.

Welcome to our little family. Pull up a chair, pour a cuppa, and join in the festivities.

Hello BDK.
I watch The Food Network alot myself. I have all of Paula Deen's cookbooks. I have a few of Giada, Rachael Ray, Ina Garden and Tyler Florence's books. I havent watched BDK's yet. I wish A. McCargo good luck with his show.

I'm quite surprised that there isn't a section here on the FN. I think I only got one book by a Food Network Star - one of Emeril's.

Or maybe I overlooked it. But this is the 3rd cooking forum that I've joined and like, since about May or June.

Yes, I,m and avid fan of Aaron McCargo Jr., and I also wish him great success with his new show!! He's the very first black man to ever win the NFNS! No Afro-American has ever won it before. Reggie Southerlamd came close, but Guy beat him out and won.

And BTW, KYHeirloomer, I don't have a cuppa Joe, but I am drinking some Coke and I'm enjoying the festivities. Haha!!

Last edited:
Thank you.

No, only once in a great while. Haha!!

I don't exactly know what you mean by section, BDK. There are been several Food Network discussions, though; both as a network and about individual celebs.

Almost seems as though you can't have a food-oriented web site and not have FN discussions; mostly negative.

The real problem is that most serious foodies feel FN has gone steadily downhill the past couple of years. They've abandoned the people (celebs and viewers both) who made them what they were. Now, most people who want to see real cooking shows do it at other venues.

In all due respect, many of the past few seasons we've seen shows that were developed not because the star was a good cook who happened to be ethnic, or a person of color, but, rather, they looked for the ethnicity and racial characteristics and then tried to build that person up as a great cook.

Here's just one example: Before I stopped watching FN they were touting their newest show called something like Real Cooking. The star, who'd name escapes me, was presented as:

A Real Air Force vet.
A Real DJ
And A Real Lover of Food

Great qualifications to have you're own cooking show, right? It was just an accident that she was a good looking black woman. And, of course, black, white, hispanic or from Mars, the main criterium nowadays seems to be that the star is 1. female, 2. conventionally good looking, and 3. is willing to bounce her boobies for the camera.

Do you think for one minute that if Giada DeLaurentis, for instance, was flat chested and ugly that she'd have any shows there at all, let alone a succession of failures? Do you think Sandra Lee brings anything to the table besides her 38D cup and sweaters two sizes two small?

If you're getting the idea that I'm no longer a fan of FN I certainly won't argue the point.

Can you tell me exactly where they are, please. Would like to post there now and then. Thanks.

You know KYH I see your point exactly, except I do have to say like for instance Paula Dean, she is a real down to earth honest to goodness woman and also Malto Mario, he is in fact a very ordinary looking guy no real Hunk there that I can see (and I love him just the way he is) but I think you have a point in the "Bouncy Boobie Babes" having an edge on say a "plain Jane" looking chef no matter what her heritage.

I think the FN needs many more minorities! They have their original Iron Chefs, and are beginning to bring on some other minority chefs every now & then, but let me tell you I know some of the finest cooks and they are all black and hispanic & can cook like nobodies business!!! Why are there so few on FN??? Well, unless like you say... TV & I don't care what channel it is.....loves serving up sexy looking white "sirens" and sex sells so I hear!!! There are sexy and beautiful latin and black and oriental women and men too.... what's with the all white thang, they need to get with the program and begin to wake up to the fact that America is ethnically diverse and we need more diversity on their Network!

Last edited:
Problem is, Big Daddy, that I don't recall as there ever was a thread, per se, about FN.

As you've probably gathered from your reading, nobody over here worries much about threadnapping. So we could have a thread that starts out talking about, say, canning green beans, and winds up as a desertation on the poor attitude of French cooks.

So it was with FN discussions. They just evolved inside other threads, ran their course, and that was it.

Of course there's nothing stopping you from starting one.

Sister Chatty, y'all 'member when I taught you that flavor is not a criterium when they develop hybrids?

My impression is that it's the same thing at FN and minorities. They choose the minority star for all sorts of reasons. But kitchen talent isn't one of them. And, just as with flavor and hybrids, when the minority celebrity does have talent it slips in by accident.

An example: Think about your adapted abuela. Now compare her to that erstwhile Latina cook who lasted, what? One season? She couldn't cook worth a damn, but had no trouble shaking her chest at the camera.

Then there was that black guy who toured bakeries. Sugar Rush was the show. He was conventionally good looking. And the singularly most boring human being I've ever heard on TV.

The world is full of great minority cooks. There's no problem finding them, if that's really your goal. Which isn't the case at FN.

BTW, neither the original Iron Chef nor Mario Batali can be found at FN anymore. And it wouldn't surprise me to find that Paula Dean and Ina Garten are on their way out.

Problem is, Big Daddy, that I don't recall as there ever was a thread, per se, about FN.

As you've probably gathered from your reading, nobody over here worries much about threadnapping. So we could have a thread that starts out talking about, say, canning green beans, and winds up as a desertation on the poor attitude of French cooks.

So it was with FN discussions. They just evolved inside other threads, ran their course, and that was it.

Of course there's nothing stopping you from starting one.

I'd start one, but don't know where to put it.

Hi BigD!

I'm Kevin- or "chubbyalaskagriz". Welcome- c'mon in and pull'uppa chair!

Looks like I'm joining the welcome wagon late in the game- for you appear to already have settled-in fine and that's how we like it! There are many food forums on the web, but we pride ourselves on being the absolute friendliest and most welcoming! No one is new here for long! smiles and a wink- k.

Thank you!

I forgot that I'm a Sous Chef already!

You guys make me feel so much at home here!! Almost like flying first class and being treated royally like a king!!

Can I have another cocktail please? Oh. While you're at it, maybe some caviar and crackers. Oh. How about a bit of that sauce on my steak? Don't forget the ice cream.

I'll finish with a cuppa Joe, please. I'll take a nap when I'm done eating. Wake me up when you are about to serve a late-night snack. Haha!!

I
The real problem is that most serious foodies feel FN has gone steadily downhill the past couple of years. They've abandoned the people (celebs and viewers both) who made them what they were. Now, most people who want to see real cooking shows do it at other venues.

In all due respect, many of the past few seasons we've seen shows that were developed not because the star was a good cook who happened to be ethnic, or a person of color, but, rather, they looked for the ethnicity and racial characteristics and then tried to build that person up as a great cook.

Great qualifications to have you're own cooking show, right? It was just an accident that she was a good looking black woman. And, of course, black, white, hispanic or from Mars, the main criterium nowadays seems to be that the star is 1. female, 2. conventionally good looking, and 3. is willing to bounce her boobies for the camera.

Do you think for one minute that if Giada DeLaurentis, for instance, was flat chested and ugly that she'd have any shows there at all, let alone a succession of failures? Do you think Sandra Lee brings anything to the table besides her 38D cup and sweaters two sizes two small?

If you're getting the idea that I'm no longer a fan of FN I certainly won't argue the point.

KYH - I am not a fan of FN. I've been turned off with more than half of the "cooks" they have.

Sandra Lee maybe a 38D - but they grow 6 inches below a normal woman's breasts. She needs surgery real bad - not for enlargement, nor for reduction - but for placement.

Giada - forgive me for this - poor imitation Italian. Sorry. she gets by on her daddy's name. (Dino)

On Sunday mornings for a few weeks they had a program on at 9:30 "Chef" with some dingbat that was flying higher than a kite! Supposedly she was to show everyone restaurant secrets. Never saw one - she through food around, flapped her arms, had a ****-poor attitude and her secrets were the low-down crap she pulled on customers at her restaurant. I took the time to voice my opinion to FN about her.

The Neely's. I am so sick and tired of hearing about how she got her man and how to keep her man, etc. that although she can come up with some good recipes - her show is an absolute turn off.

Bobby Flay - can't stand him. Period.

Alton Brown gets under my skin - he is too analytical.

Rachel Ray - get real - categorized with Paula Deen - listen to them long enough and they tell too many lies about their cooking. All of a sudden those two had eaten all these dishes all their lives - even the dishes that just came about.

Iron Chef - bunch of crap.

And the next chef will be __________________. Reminds me of survivor and I absolutely HATE that program.

PBS has some good cooking shows - better than what the FN is giving us.

The FN has gone down hill faster than our economy.

WOW!!

Guess no one can try to convince YOU to watch anything there.

Back