What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Voice From The Past

K

KYHeirloomer

For those who joined the exudus from the other site, y'all remember joe corso? Signed himself joe longbeach.

He recently sent me a recipe that a friend of his in Oregon developed. I tried it the other night, and want to share it with you. And everyone else here at SpicePlace.

Wild Mushroom Lasagna with Gorgonzola Cream Sauce
from Randi Robinson​

for the filling:

3 cups very hot water
2 ounces dried porcini mushrooms
2 lbs fresh white or cremini mushrooms
1 large shallot, minced
3 tbls unsalted butter
2 tsp chopped fresh thyme leaves
2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese

Soak the porcini in the hot water for approx 20 minutes. When soft, remove from the soaking liquid, chip and put in a bowl. Simmer reserved soaking liquid until reduced to about 1/4 cup.

Chop white mushrooms in a food processor, pulsing in batches, until coarsely chopped. Mince the shallot. In a 12-inch heavy skillet heat 1 tablespoon butter over moderate heat and saute the shallot until soft. Add the white mushrooms with 2 tablespoons butter and cook until they rebsorb their liquid. Add the porcini and reduced soaking liquid and cook untiol the liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and add thyme, salt, peper, and Parmesan

(Filling can be made 1 day ahead; just cover and refrigerate, but don't add the cheese until you are ready to use the filling)

for the sauce:

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup all purpose flour
6 cups whole milk, plus more if needed
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp freshly ground pepper
Heaping 1/4 tsp freshly grated nutmeg
1 lb Gorgonzola cheese

In a 3-quart heavy saucepan melt butter over moderately low heat and whisk in flour. Cook the roux, whisking, 3 minutes. Slowling add milk, whisking constantly, until sause simmers and thickesn. Thinout, if necessary, with more milk; the sauce should be the consistency of thick cream. Remove from heat. Add salt, pepper and nutmeg and stif in 1/2 lb of the Gorgonzola until completely melted. Taste to see if you want more nutmeg, pepper or gorgonzola.

Cover surface with waxed paper. (This can also be made 1 day ahead. Just bring sauce to room temperature before proceeding.

For assubly and baking:

2 15-oz containers ricotta cheese
Lasagna noodles

Preheat oven to 375F and butter a 13 x 9 inch baking dish.

Bring a large pot of water to boil and follow instructions on lasagna package.

Spoon about 1 cup of the sauce over bottom of dish. Make one layer of noodles. Now add the ricotta. Just smooth on top of the noodles. Drizle with sauce. Top with a layer of noodles and spread mushroom mixture over them. Drizzle with sauce. Top with noodles and spoon sauce over top.

On a foil-lined large baking sheed bake lasagna in middle of oven until bubbling and golden, about 45 minutes. Let lasagna stand 20 minutes. Lasagna may be made 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Bring lasagn to room temperature and reheat before serving.

Alternatvely, you can stuff the giant shlls with the mushroom mixture and top with the sauce. It's a bit easier to assemble and serve.

My Notes

Made half the recipe and there's still plenty. Will easily serve 6 as a main dish; 10-12 as a first course.

I was concerned about the cheese. Note that the recipe calls for only half the amount specified. Even that is too much, as the cheese overcomes the taste of the mushrooms. All you get is a gorgonzola lasagna with an earthy undertone.

Joe and I have discussed making this as a manicotti. I think that would work better. Or even the jumbo shells, as you can just knap them with the sauce so it doesn't overpower the mushrooms.

Back