What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Non-fried squid

K

KYHeirloomer

I love fried calamari. When it's done right it's a little bit of heaven on a plate. Of course, when it's done wrong it's just a bunch of breaded rubber rings---but that's not the squid's fault.

That aside, I'm always looking for non-fried squid recipes as well. This latest, which we had last night, can be found in the new International Cuisine. From Spain comes:

Calamares Encebollados
(Squid with Caramelized Onions

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 garlic clove, mashed
2 cups Spanish sweet onions, sliced thin
1 bay leaf
Salt to taste
2 cups fresh squid in 1/2 inch pieces
1/2 cup dry white wine
2 tsp flat leaf parsley, chopped

Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a medium saute pan.

Add garlic and cook 2 minutes or until brown; remove.

Add onions and bay leaf; cook over medium low heat until lightly brown, about 10 minutes. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking until onions are soft and caramelized, about 20 minutes longer.

Remove onions from pan and set aside, leaving the oil in pan.

Return heat to high and sprinkle pan with salt. Add squid, making sure not to overcrowd the pan; there must be ample space so the squid does not boil. Saute 15-20 seconds on each side. Remove from pan and repeat the process with remaining squid.

Return all the squid to the pan, add the caramelized onions, and stir to mix. Add wine around sides and boil for 20 seconds.

Sprinkle with parsley and serve.

my notes:

To avoid possibile overcooking I sauteed the squid whole, 10-15 seconds per side, then sliced in rings.

Although good with the white wine, I believe this would taste better if Sherry was used.

Back