What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sourdough-like Beer Bread with picture

jglass

111m1de.jpg

Sourdough-like Beer Bread

This is a great recipe -- It tastes like sourdough but doesn't require a starter.

Makes 1 Large Loaf
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/3 cup water
1 cup beer
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons sugar
3 cups flour
1 package dry yeast

Place ingredients in bread machine pan in the order suggested by the manufacturer.
Select White Bread setting, and then press Start.

I downloaded this ages ago and just got around to trying it tonight. I used my bread machine to make the dough. Then I put the dough into a large loaf pan. I let it rise for 45 min in a warm oven then brushed it with egg wash. Baked at 350 til it was golden brown. All I had was bread machine yeast so I used 2tsp of that. The bread came out wonderfully.

Looks great, Janie. I'm definately going to try it.

FWIW, "bread machine yeast" is the same as "instant" and "rapid rise" yeast. But when they call it "instant" it's usually a little cheaper. Seems like bread machine stuff has become like microwaveable stuff: the same product carries a premium if you can stick that name on it.

Either way, it's about 25% faster than active yeast. Which means, in theory, you could have cut back a little more than you did with no ill effect. For instance, when making Peter Reinhart's Pain de Campagne, a total of only 1 1/2 teaspoons of instant yeast are used. An envelope contains 2 1/4 teaspoons.

Serious bakers all agree that you should use just the amount of yeast necessary to do the job. But, frankly, when I have to substitute, I do as you did and use 2 teaspoons. Always seems to work just fine.

My real question: Did you use bread flour or all purpose?

I don't eat a lot of bread these days- but this loaf looks delicious, janie! I can just smell it baking... It looks nice and crusty too- WOW. Ther perfect loaf!

Thanks for clearing that up about yeast. I had told Jon I was going to have to look up what the difference was and now I dont have to bother lol. I used all purpose flour for the recipe.
Jon got me a couple of non stick loaf pans at Big Lots for my birthday and I wanted to try one out. I picked up a couple of 9in non stick round cakes pans while I was there. Only $5 each.

Glad the info was helpful, Janie.

Something else to be aware of. One of the differences between active dry yeast and instant yeast is the the latter does not require proofing. The liquid used in the dough activates it immediately.

Which is why it makes sense for bread machines, as you mix all the ingredients together at one time.

Hey Guys,

I've never used the popular stones from Pampered Chef, tho I received one recently as a gift. (it's the mini-loaf pan that one can make 4 minis in) I imagine it came from a second-hand source as it didn't come with packaging or an instruction booklet at all (which is a bit weird- but I often buy second-hand things myself and have no problem with it... plus, if you knew this person- well, giving a gift from a rummage sale or yard sale isn't something beyond them at all- HA!)

Anyway- I know these unique and patented stones have specific recommened uses and cleaning specifics, and I haven't had a chance to look online yet for what to do and not do. Can anyone tell me how to use and take care of this type of pan?

I have a few of these stones. DO NOT clean with soapy water. It will soak into the pours of the stone and to will forever have a soapy taste to you bake goods. As for the proper care and cleaning I will have to look and get back to you.

Janie I must make some of that this weekend! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

Kevin I had a pizza stone from Pampered Chef and loved it. You simply scrub with a sponge and hot water to clean, you can use a 2 sided srubbie sponge. Just remember to grease well before using, as with any baking pan. In time the stone become seasoned and brown with use and develop a non-stick surface of their own thus requiring less grease.

By the way they cost a small fortune new and I would take anyone I could get new, used, or otherwise they work wonderfully!

It has a very light sort of sourdough flavor.
I made some croutons from it to go in my chicken parm soup I made today. It was good.
I even made Jon some french toast from it this morning. He loved it. It didnt have a beer flavor to it at all.

I guess it wont last that long , its almost gone now. But I can make another. I did learn somethings making this one. Don't use cold beer. CF:D

Back