What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not Nuts About Brussels Sprouts...

chubbyalaskagriz

Hey Brook- I'm kinda like you in that I'm not nuts about Brussels Sprouts. But I was thumbing thru the latest issue of "Sunset" magazine tonight and found an intriguingly simple-sounding recipe that I'm almost tempted to try. The BS's are split, sauteed in oilve oil, the pan is deglazed with apple juice, then all is sprinkled with pine nuts and parmesan cheese. Hmmm... Don't know why I feel so pressured to like these l'il boogers- but I just might try this!

If you figure out why you feel pressured, Kevin, let me know. I'm in the same boat.

I like cabbage in virtually any other form. And I feel that I should like Brussels sprouts. So I keep trying them. And I 'm always disappointed.

It's like eating coot (aka marsh hen, pildoo, and a bunch of terms not suitble for a family forum). Best recipe I ever heard for them came from a cajun fella I used to hunt with.

"Get you a bunch of pildoo and a big pile of onions," he told me, "and a great big stock pot.

Put a slick of oil in the bottom of the pot and layer it with sliced onions. Then a layer of coot breasts, Sprinkle him with some creole seasoning. Then put another layer of onion, and so on, until the pot is full. Finish with a layer of onions.

Cover the pot and cook, on a very low flame, overnight.

Then, when you're ready to serve......throw all that crap away and eat the pot."

I love brussels sprouts. I will happily eat them plain steamed with salt. Your recipe sounds like one my husband and I would enjoy. My cabbage problem is with sauerkraut. I HATE the stuff. I love every other kind of cabbage and I love every kind of pickle. I even love kimchi but German style sauerkraut is just aweful. But like you I feel that I should like it. I don't understand why I don't so I keep trying it.

Love Brussel sprouts too.....I buy the baby ones though less bitter to me. Boil them a few minutes then Drizzle them with a bit of lemon juice, butter and cheese and bake in oven bout 10 -15 minutes...mmm mmm good !

Back