What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wha is your favorite side dish?

I lov'em all Cath- from mac & cheese to rice pilaf- creamed spinach to cole slaw... but I think my fav all-time simple meal is either a rare ribeye or roast chicken served with a wedge of iceberg and thick, tangy blue cheese dressing. Or a caesar salad... YUM!

Potatoes

Potatoes prepared anyway! In order I love mashed, roasted, fried, scalloped.... well the list is endless.

we have a lot of side dishes that we like but probably my favorite ones are done at the holidays. I love my sweet potato & banana casserole with pecans on top. I also love, love a recipe I have for an Argentine corn pudding. Then of course I already talked about my problem with french fries.....

we have a lot of side dishes that we like but probably my favorite ones are done at the holidays. I love my sweet potato & banana casserole with pecans on top. I also love, love a recipe I have for an Argentine corn pudding. Then of course I already talked about my problem with french fries.....

Wow Sweet Potato & Banana Caserole you have just got to share that one PRETTY PLEASE!!! It sounds so delicious:p And while I have your attention share the Argentine Corn Pudding recipe too, these sound too good to not at least ask!!!

Ok here is the first one. I paniced for a minute because I couldn't find the magazine. Luckily I had already typed it up to give to another friend and was able to find it.

Corn pudding
8 servings
4 Tbls butter, divided
2 1-lb bags frozen corn kernels, thawed
1 cup whole milk
2 cups finely chopped green onions
1 Tbs (packed) chopped seeded serrano chiles
4 large eggs
1 Tbls all purpose flour
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
Preheat oven to 350 F Butter 11x7x2 inch glass baking dish. Melt 2 Tbls butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add corn; sauté 5 minutes. Add milk. Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer until corn is tender about 5 minutes. Transfer to processor; blend to coarse puree.
Melt 2 Tbls butter in same skillet over medium-high heat. Add all onions and chiles; sauté until onions are tender about 4 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in corn puree; cool 15 minutes.
Beat eggs, flour, salt and pepper to blend in bowl; mix in 1 cup cheese. Stir egg mixture into corn mixture. Transfer to dish. Sprinkle. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup cheese. Bake until golden about 40 minutes. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool 1 hour, then cover and chill. Rewarm covered, in 350 F oven until heated through, about 25 minutes.

Here is the second one. I love it but the fam was upset I didn't make one with canned sweet potatoes and marshmallows. I sometimes wonder if I was switched at birth.

mashed sweet potatoes and bananas with pecan streusel

10 medium-size tan-skinned sweet potatoes (about 6 pounds), scrubbed
4 bananas, unpeeled
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, room temperature
1/3 cup honey
1 1/2 cups pecan pieces
3/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1/2 cup all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 400°F. Pierce sweet potatoes with fork. Place on rimmed baking sheet or in roasting pan and bake until almost soft, about 40 minutes. Add bananas to roasting pan alongside sweet potatoes and bake until banana skins brown, about 10 minutes. Let sweet potatoes and bananas stand at room temperature until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes (maintain oven temperature). Cut sweet potatoes in half. Scoop flesh from sweet potatoes into large bowl. Peel bananas; add to bowl. Add 1/2 cup butter and honey; beat with wooden spoon until blended and fluffy. Season to taste with salt. Transfer to 8- to 10-cup ovenproof baking dish.
Mix nuts, sugar, and flour in bowl. Add 1/2 cup butter; mix with fingertips until coarse crumbs form. (Potatoes and streusel can be made 1 day ahead. Cover separately; chill. Before continuing, preheat oven to 400°F.) Sprinkle streusel over potatoes. Bake until top is golden brown and potatoes are hot, about 25 minutes.
Makes 12 servings

Back