What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your favorite go-to vegetable?

I do a lot of shopping at Aldi which is a popular econo-market here in our area. They're cheaper than even the Super Wal-Mart and my budget requires that I save any way possible...

Some of their items I don't care for- most of it is the "Aldi" brand and some of it can be a wee-bit substandard at times. BUT- much of it is GREAT and the prices are incredible, sometimes.

They carry 1# bags of petite, l'il frozen green beans that I swear- look fresh-picked right outta the garden! Blanch then in some salted water, toss with whole or halved red-skinned new potatoes and chopped parsley, and then drizzle w/ a l'il butter or bacon grease- YUM!

I'd have to say spinach. Not steamed or creamed though. I like to sautee it with slivers of garlic, olive oil, a pinch of nutmeg, and throw in some toasted pine nuts. Whenever I can't think of what else to make this wins hands down.

We love lots of veggies at my house but probably the ones we get most excited about are cauliflower and brussels sprouts. If I throw in potato as my second side I could be serving tripe and my husband would still race home for dinner.

We love lots of veggies at my house but probably the ones we get most excited about are cauliflower and brussels sprouts. If I throw in potato as my second side I could be serving tripe and my husband would still race home for dinner.

:D Yes these guys certainly love their "taters"!!!

There is an Aldi in the next town over from here Kevin. I have always been afraid of that store. I have heard of more than one person getting food poisoning from hotdogs and meat they got there. Jon's aunt said she shops there alot.

I shop at Aldi's and travel almost 45 minutes to get there. I have used practically every item in the store. I now have my two daughters shopping there. The difference in Aldi's and other major chains -- $50 to $75 less per visit. I am a very particular person when it comes to what goes in my mouth, I am also a perfectionist, AND with that being said I highly recommend Aldi's to you.

I shop at other stores for a few items, Aldi's does not carry my laundry detergent, etc.

I have been to Aldi's in Europe that were very nice so I know that they are out there but honestly the 3 Aldi locations we have in Columbus are all pretty bad. The vegetables are all really old and actually what bothers me more than anything is the smell. All three of them just reek with some foul odor. I can't get over it for long enough to shop there.

I am sorry you folks have had a bad experience with Aldi's

There are two in the area I go to, one is brand new and would put any grocery store to shame. It is spotless, very well stocked, neither of them carry any smell at all the new one or the other one. I suppose you would attribute it to management of the stores.

I have visited Box N Save recently and can relate to what you are saying though. When you walk in the door the odor takes you right back out the other side. It is horrible.

If I think of it I will take my digital and take a photo to post when I visit Aldi's again this weekend. :)

Back