What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hello

V

vicsailgarden

I'm new to the Cooking Forum. Live in Seattle (where we are lucky to enjoy all sorts of delicious foods - oysters, blackberries, salmon).
I look forward to talking food with other foodies.
Vicki

Hi Vicki!

Welcome to the table! Pulluppa chair and help yourself to the coffee-pot or pitcher of iced-tea over yonder... We're a good, friendly group that always enjoys meeting new folks and making new friends- so c'mon in and make yourself at home.

I know Seattle well. You have a lovely city to call home. I worked in Alaska for years and passed thru Seattle regularly. For a period I even kept an aprtment at Oxford Crest- an histoirc old building at the feet of Capital Hill and First Hill- on Boren Ave. just down from Virginia-Mason Hospital. I was a 10-minute walk from Pike Place Market, the original Crab Louis Salad at the Four Seasons Olympic Hotel, The Egyptian Theater on Pine, and all the crazy fun of Capital Hill's Broadway alternative scene. Loved eating at 'Tulio's', 'Flying Fish' and 'Hamburger Mary's'!

Again, WELCOME! smiles- kevin (chubbyalaskagriz)

Welcome! judging by your user name does that mean that you also like to garden? Me too! I love to grow a variety of heirloom vegetables.

alaska girl too

Hi Vicki!

Welcome to the table! Pulluppa chair and help yourself to the coffee-pot or pitcher of iced-tea over yonder... We're a good, friendly group that always enjoys meeting new folks and making new friends- so c'mon in and make yourself at home.

I know Seattle well. You have a lovely city to call home. I worked in Alaska for years and passed thru Seattle regularly. For a period I even kept an aprtment at Oxford Crest- an histoirc old building at the feet of Capital Hill and First Hill- on Boren Ave. just down from Virginia-Mason Hospital. I was a 10-minute walk from Pike Place Market, the original Crab Louis Salad at the Four Seasons Olympic Hotel, The Egyptian Theater on Pine, and all the crazy fun of Capital Hill's Broadway alternative scene. Loved eating at 'Tulio's', 'Flying Fish' and 'Hamburger Mary's'!

Again, WELCOME! smiles- kevin (chubbyalaskagriz)

Thanks for the warm welcome
I actually grew up in Alaska - my father homesteaded out on Huffman road back in the late 50s. Then we moved to Seldovia. I'll never forget the salmonberries and king crab. Do you still live in Alaska?

Yes, I do - mostly herbs as we're always gone for 3 wks or so in the summer. Everything else just dies, even if we have a housesitter ... can't believe what they can do to a tomato plant in 3 weeks heehee! What is in your garden?

Wow Vicki!

What a small world!

I no longer live in AK but I still own a cabin on Berry Drive just off Murphy Dome Road near UAF, in Fairbanks.

Seldovia? Wow. I love it there- and @ Halibut Cove... "THE SALTRY"!!! One of my FAV restaurants in the whole state! Then across the inlet back in Homer- one of my other favs in the state is (or was? I heard it may have closed-down) is "Cafe Cups".

Dang! Feels good to have someone hanging 'round here from the old neighborhood!

I lived in AK for 13 years. Work took me many places. First year was spent in Dutch Harbor. Then a ski season in Thompson Pass- Valdez. Then 3 years in Cooper Landing on the Kenai Peninsula. Then stints in Seward and Anchorage- then Fairbanks. Then work took me to the Slope (my LEAST fav place in AK!) and also to a remote mining camp near Ruby and Huslia on the Yukon River- then Nome. Then back in Dutch Harbor again- then Admiralty Island, down in South-East. SO... as the song says- "I've been everywhere, man!"

Are you still up North today? ...or have you migrated Outside?

Speaking of salmonberries- here's ya a hand-full! smiles- k.

I grow, lots of tomatoes in every color, zucchini, squash, tomatillos, beets, rhubarb and all manor of peppers both sweet and hot. I also have tons of herbs. Too bad you don't get to do very much gardening. I've heard that with 6 months of daylight the veggies up there get huge!

Wow jfain, you grow lots of stuff! I Love all those veggies. I grew sage the colorful one this year in a small pot. I think I should probably take it inside now. I bought it because it was a pretty plant, love plants. Cookie :)

Welcome Vic!!!

You live in Seattle huh? Nice state (too cold for my likes though) and it' really beautiful. It is nice to have you join us we are a great forum, full of fun and lots of good recipes and ideas and we all love to share, so feel free to ask a question, share a recipe, or anything you want.

CCCathy

Do you cook with it also? Sage is delicious. I like to do roasted sausages and apples with sage this time of year.

Jfian just tonight we used fresh sage leaves to garnish our pinto beans, i also like stuffing the cavity of a chicken with fresh herbs before baking it! Truly delicious!!! Try it sometime!

:(I have tried stuffing sage leaved in my turkey which is always wonderful. Unfortunately my sage plant went to seed a month ago so I will have to buy mine this fall

I don't think I have ever been a big sage user however I'm going to try this year. That's to bad about your sage, your turkey sounds wonderful. Cookie :)

Last edited:
Back