What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your favorite way to eat pumpkin?

Mine is pumpkin pie!!!!

But I also love pumpkin bread, baked pumpkin seeds, and pumpkin cookies too!

There really is nothing to compare to the smell of a pumpkin pie in the oven, except maybe apple pie:p

Pumpkin/Maple Bundt

2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
2 t. ground cinnamon
1/4 t. freshly grated nutmeg
pinch of salt
1 1/2 t. grated fresh ginger (or 1 teaspoon ground ginger)
10 T. butter (1-1/4 sticks), at room temperature
1 c. granulated sugar
1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 t. pure vanilla extract
1 1/4 c. canned unsweetened pumpkin puree
1 large apple, peeled, cored and finely grated
1 c. cranberries, halved or coarsely chopped
1 c. pecans, coarsely chopped

MAPLE SYRUP ICING (OPTIONAL)
6 T. confectioners' sugar
1 T. butter, melted
2 - 2 1/2 T. maple syrup

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter 9- to 10-inch bundt pan.

In mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and ground ginger. Set aside.

In bowl of electric mixer cream butter, granulated sugar and brown sugar at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating for 1 minute after each addition. Beat in vanilla.

Reduce mixer speed to low. Add pumpkin and grated apple. (Note: Mixture may look curdled; that's OK.) On low speed, add dry ingredients, mixing only until incorporated. Using rubber spatula, stir in cranberries and pecans. Scrape batter into pan. Smooth top with rubber spatula.

Bake 60-70 minutes or until thin knife inserted into center of cake comes out clean. Transfer cake to rack. Cool for 10 minutes. Unmold. Cool to room temperature on rack.

TO PREPARE MAPLE-SYRUP ICING:
Sift confectioners' sugar into bowl. Stir in 2 tablespoons maple syrup. Add more maple syrup, little by little, until icing runs nicely off tip of spoon. (Note: Add up to 1/2 tablespoon syrup to get to right consistency.

Put cooled cake on wax paper. Drizzle icing from tip of spoon over cake. Let icing set for a few minutes before serving.

Hey Kev that sounds wunderfuullll I shall call my cake "Kevins Bundt"! I loved the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" it was so hilarious when they were trying to figure out the Bundt, and when the Grooms parents got tipsy on the Oozo!!! I split a side laughing!!!

Gosh it is so good to have you back Kevin!!! I missed you my "ole bud"!

Thanks Cathy! Great to be back- I missed you ALL!

I loved "MBFGW" also! I got a kick outta the Dad carrying his bottle of blue Windex around to mist everyone with, to cure all their ailments! Ha! What a nut!

Apple Butter Pumpkin Pie

INGREDIENTS:
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
1 cup apple butter
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, beaten
1 cup evaporated milk
1 (9 inch) unbaked deep dish pie crust

STREUSEL TOPPING:
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2.In a large bowl, combine pumpkin, apple butter, 1/4 cup brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Stir in eggs and evaporated milk. Pour into prepared pie shell.
3.Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a knife inserted 2 inches from the center comes out clean. Sprinkle streusel topping over the pie, and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
4.To make the streusel topping: In a small bowl, combine butter, flour, and 1/3 cup brown sugar. Stir until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans.

Double Layer Pumpkin Pie

A fluffy cream cheese and whipped topping layer is spread onto the bottom of a graham cracker crust. And then comes the pudding,
pumpkin and spice layer. This luscious pie is then chilled and garnished with ginger-flavored whipped topping."

INGREDIENTS:
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon milk
1 tablespoon white sugar
1 1/2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 (9 inch) prepared graham cracker crust
1 cup cold milk
2 (3.5 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin puree
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

DIRECTIONS:
1.In a large bowl, whisk together cream cheese, 1 tablespoon of milk, and sugar until smooth. Gently stir in whipped topping. Spread into bottom of crust.
2.Pour 1 cup of milk into large bowl, and thoroughly mix in pudding mix, pumpkin, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves. When thickened, spread over cream cheese layer.
3.Refrigerate 4 hours, or until set.

Mini Pumpkin Butterscotch Muffins

INGREDIENTS:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup melted butter
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 (6 ounce) package butterscotch chips

DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease mini-muffin pan with cooking spray.
2.Sift together the flour, brown sugar, white sugar, cinnamon,ginger, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. Whisk together the eggs, butter, and pumpkin in a separate bowl. Mix the flour mixture with the egg mixture. Stir in the butterscotch chips; pour into each cup of the
muffin pan to about 3/4 full.
3.Bake in preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, 10 to 12 minutes.

Pumpkin Dump Cake

INGREDIENTS:
1 (29 ounce) can pumpkin puree
3 eggs
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (18.25 ounce) package spice cake mix
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans
1/2 cup melted butter

DIRECTIONS:
1.Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x13 inch pan.
2.In a large bowl, combine pumpkin puree, eggs, brown sugar, white sugar and milk. Stir in cinnamon, ginger, cloves and salt. Pour into pan. Sprinkle dry cake mix evenly over the pumpkin filling. Sprinkle pecans over the cake mix. Drizzle melted butter over all.
3.Bake in the preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes, or until the edges are lightly browned. Allow to cool.

I love pumpkin too. I make a pumpkin-tomato bisque each year that I love. I also make pumpkin cookies, pumkin cake, pumpkin cheese cake and pumpkin pie. I found a recipe recently for pumpkin polenta, it's next on my list to try.

hi all,

Ok since you provoked, i'll tell you what do i do with pumpkin in Italy (even in switzerland :)).

i make Tortelli of pumpikin,
i make gnocchi of pumpkin, i have a version with mussles sauce as well,
i make tagliatelle with pumpkin and amaretti (a traditional biscuit),
i make a risotto of pumpkin and asiago (an italian cheese)
i make soup of pumpkin, and one of pumpkin and potatoes,
i make skewer with pumpkin, potatoes and mozzarella
i make a soup of pumpkin with shrimps
a friend of mine made some penne with onion and pumpkin which was great too

likely there is still a world of pumpkins to explore...

it's 1 AM here in switzerland, i'll go sleeping
Bye
Luca

OK, i understand the subtle message :)

i'll write the recipes (since i never do it) and post them.

i'll need a bit of time because beside my standard job i'm dealing with food preparation for tomorrow my daughter's anniversary, i have about 30 people to feed, and i got the impression they stop eating two days before they visit me :)

Since I LOVE shrimp, I'm curious about the recipe for pumpkin soup with shrimp.
And what a wonderful compliment, my son can't go 2 hours without eating:p and the little devil is slender as a rail!

Julie

Gnocch di zucca con le cozze (pumpkin gnocchi with mussels)

Gnocchi di Zucca campana con le cozze.

Sorry Julie, i normally give preference to ladies, but i had already started writing down this recipe before you expressed your preference for shrimps, so while my daughter birthday cake is baking i have completed this one.
I promise yours will be the next one ;)

I have to start making a sort of introduction, in italy we have many tipes of pumpkins, the typical halloween one, but as well the

Zucca mantovana (zucca stands for pumpkin) which is the one i prefer because it doesn’t contain a lot of water, and with short cooking time it’s more rewarding. Another one is called Zucca Campana, which is typical of the region where I come from and which i used for this recipe.

So why am I bothering you with all this information, simple, the first step is that we have to cook/dry the pumpkin before we can use it to make gnocchi, so according to the pumpkin you’re using the dry time will probably be different.

The original recipe is made with Zucca Campana which is likely the one which contains more water but at the same time is less sweet than the others.

Slice it in cubes of about an inch or 2 cm and dry it for about 6 hours at 80 Celsius degree (176 F°) in the oven. So if you are using another type of pumpkin you might need less time to dry it. Generally 6 Kilos of Zucca Campana leave a 1 kilo of dried pulp.

Ingredients (it was about time :))

For 1 kilo of dried pulp we use about 200g of flour (but have at hands more flour)
At least a kilo of mussels, but if you love them you can exaggerate.
1 garlic clove
Extravirgin olive oil
chili pepper
splash of white wine
fresh marjoram

I should say at least 200g of flour, why? Well the flour amount depends on the residual humidity of the pumpkin, hence it can vary, but consider that less flour you use more tasty and more light is the result. Less than 200g is pretty difficult because the gnocchi dough desn’t stays together, if you use more that 200g it is not a big trouble.
(consider that grannies were boiling the pumpkin instead of drying it and using normally equal quantities of raw pumpkin and flour. The result was good but you needed a good nap after eating :D )

Ok, I can’t keep you reading for the next 6 hours, hence dry the pumpkin and come back when it’s ready.

Knead the zucca and the flour. Once the flour is absorbed (if the dough is too wet you can add more flour until you get satisfied).
i'm terribly sorry i can't be more precise, but when you are dealing with dough words aren't enough, it is a matter of hands and eyes, so experience will make you perfect :)

now cut chunks of dough and roll it with your hand until they become like pipe of 1cm diameter (a bit less than half inch) the dough is a bit sticky so use flour on your hands, on the table and on the knife (you are about to use :)), cut the roll in pieces one inch (2.5 cm) long and lay them on a wooden table or on some baking try, spread flower to avoid them sticking together or on the table.
They are ready to be cooked, hence you can boil a pot of water where we'll cook them.

You can make gnocchi some time before cooking them, but be carefull if you wait to much (more than 4-5 hours) they start getting dark, and they tend to release moisture sticking everywhere. (Pay attention, even if the darken a bit they will still be pretty good to eat)

While the water boils we have to open the mussels, in a large pan i put a smashed garlic clove, a splash of extravirgin olive oil, some marjoram and if you like it a bit of chili pepper, once they start frying, add the mussel and a splash of white wine and a splash of water, cover and wait that the mussels will open.

Once it is done take them off the heat, remove the cover and take off the shells (keep some in the shell, will use as garniture to complete the dish) put all molluscs in a bowl with a bit of their liquid, get rid as well of the garlic, the marjoram leaves and the chili.

now in the mussels pan you should have some tasty liquid left, i hope you used a pan big enough to contain the gnocchi too (why i didn't tell you before:rolleyes:)

By now the water should be boiling, salt it and add the gnocchi, gnocchi are cooked when they float, hence prepare yourself with something to take them off water (the literal translation of the tool i use is skimmer, but i don't know if it make sense for you)
they don't start floating all together so once they come up you pick them and put them in the pan with the mussels liquid which you have put back on the heat.
Let them roll and absorb the liquid, moreover they'll release some starch making a nice creamy sauce. Add the mussels we saved in the bowl, mix it so the warm again and serve adding on top the mussels still in the shells and a marjoram leaves.

Buon Appetito!

Back