What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanksgiving Recipes?

Now is the time to begin swapping recipes and ideas for the upcoming hloiday.

Let's start right now swapping ideas!:)

I have some good ones, but one I really love is a Baked Sweet Potato/Pineapple Casserole that is to die for.

3 Sweet Potatoes skinned, cubed, boiled and drained
1 lg can pineapple chunks
1 cup pineapple juice (I use the juice from the can)
3/4 c. brown sugar
1/2 stick of butter
3 tbsp. flour
1 tsp salt

Place butter into pan and melt, add the flour and keep over heat a few min's making sure flour and butter are well incorporated. Then pour in the pineapple juice, brown sugar and salt and cook until just thickened. In a greased Casserole place the sweet potato cubes and pineapple chunks then pour the sauce over the top and bake in a 350° oven for 45 minutes or until heated thru & bubbly.

This is so good and a nice change from the same old sweet potato dishes.

A few of my favorites.

Rosemary and Garlic Roasted New Potatoes

Cooking spray
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons finely minced garlic
2 tablespoons fresh minced rosemary
Salt and pepper
16 large new potatoes, scrubbed and cut into relatively uniform chunks

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Spray a glass baking dish with cooking spray. Place the olive oil, garlic, rosemary and salt and pepper, to taste, in a large re-sealable plastic bag. Add the potatoes, seal and toss to coat evenly. Pour into the prepared baking dish. Roast the potatoes for about 30 to 40 minutes until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside.

Roasted Baby Potatoes with Herbs

1/2 pound small red-skinned potatoes (about 1 3/4-inch diameter), scrubbed
1/2 pound small white-skinned potatoes (about 1 3/4-inch diameter), scrubbed
1 tablespoon herbes de Provence, plus extra for garnish
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Put the potatoes into a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk the herbs, garlic, and oil together until blended, and then pour
over the potatoes. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Transfer the potatoes to a heavy large
baking dish, spacing them evenly apart Roast the potatoes until they are tender and golden, turning them occasionally with tongs, about 1 hour. Transfer the roasted potatoes to a decorative platter and drizzle with extra-virgin olive oil and herbes de Provence, if desired.

Roasted Turnips, Shallots, and Garlic with Rosemary

1 head garlic
1 1/2 pounds turnips or rutabagas, peeled and cut into 1 1/4-inch pieces
4 shallots , peeled
2 tablespoons unsalted butter melted, or vegetable or olive oil, or a combination
1 teaspoon dried rosemary (crumbled), or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
salt
ground black pepper

1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. If roasting garlic cloves in skins, simply break head into individual cloves. If you wish to roast cloves out of skins, put whole, unpeeled head in a small saucepan with water to cover. Bring water to boil, then simmer to soften cloves and loosen skins, about 10 minutes. Drain and refresh garlic head under cold water. Separate cloves and peel.

2. Put vegetables (excluding garlic) into a roasting pan large enough to hold them without crowding. Toss vegetables with butter and/or oil, rosemary or thyme, and sprinkle with salt. Roast, stirring or shaking vegetables every 15 minutes for 30 minutes. Add garlic. Raise heat to 425 degrees and continue roasting until tender and evenly browned, 15 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle with pepper; taste and adjust seasonings. Serve hot or at room temperature.

Brussels Sprouts in Garlic Butter

15 Brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
3 cloves garlic, smashed with the flat of a knife
freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
salt and pepper

Melt butter and olive oil in a medium skillet (over medium-high heat) until butter is foamy.
Reduce heat to medium, add smashed garlic and cook until lightly browned.
Remove garlic and discard.
Add sprouts cut side down, cover, and cook without stirring on medium-low heat 10-15 minutes or until tender when pierced with a knife.
The cut side of the sprouts should get nice and browned, with a nutty, buttery flavor enhanced by garlic.
Top with freshly grated parmesan and salt& pepper to taste.

Roasted Brussels Sprouts
1 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts
3 tablespoons good olive oil
3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Cut off the brown ends of the Brussels sprouts and pull off any yellow outer leaves. Mix them in a bowl with the olive
oil, salt and pepper. Pour them on a sheet pan and roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until crisp on the outside and tender on the inside. Shake the pan from time to time to brown the sprouts evenly. Sprinkle with more kosher salt ( I like these salty like French fries), and serve immediately.

Sweet Potatoes With Orange Glaze

2lbs sweet potatoes, peeled, sliced in 1 inch thick
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon orange zest, grated
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper

Spread slices of sweet potatoes in a greased metal dish of 13 inches x 9 inches. Set aside.
In a measuring cup, mix brown sugar, butter, orange zest and juice, ginger, salt, pepper.
Cover and heat in microwave, at high power, for about 1 minute or until butter has melted and brown sugar is dissolved.
Mix well and pour on the sweet potatoes.
Cook in a preheated oven of 375 F for about 45 minutes or until sweet potatoes are tender (baste with orange glaze sometimes during cooking). Keep cooking under preheated grill for about 3 minutes or until sweet potatoes are golden and glazed.

Honey Roasted Sweet Potatoes
2 pounds red-skinned sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into 1-inch pieces and put in a 9 by 13 baking dish. In a small bowl whisk together olive oil, honey and lemon juice. Pour mixture over potatoes and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the salt, and bake, stirring occasionally, for about 1 hour, until potatoes are tender.

Recipe for Candied Cranberries - VERY OLD

4 cups cranberries
1 cup cold water
2 cups sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

Put all the above ingredients in large pot. Cover and boil for 20 minutes. Do not remove the cover! Take the pot off the stove and Keep the cover on! Do not remove the cover till the cranberries are very cold!

Carrot Pie
You will need a deep-dish, nine-inch pie pan for this dessert.

Filling
3 large eggs
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups cooked and pureed or mashed carrots
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon ginger
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
2 tablespoons flour
1 can (12 fluid ounces) evaporated milk
Crust
A single crust for a deep-dish nine-inch pie.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
1. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs until frothy.
2. Add the sugars and salt and stir till dissolved.
3. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well.
4. Pour the filling into an unbaked pie shell.
5. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.

Cranapple Crumble Mock Pie

You will need a deep-dish, nine-inch pie pan for this dessert

Fruit filling
3/4 cup sweetened cranberry juice
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup dried cranberries
4 cups tart apples, peeled and cubed (about four medium apples)

Crumble Topping
3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 teaspoon cinnamon
6 tablespoons cold butter
1/2 cups chopped walnuts or pecans

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
1. In a large bowl, whisk the cranberry juice, extract and flour together.
2. Add the brown sugar and stir till dissolved.
3. Add the cranberries and the apples. Stir to coat the apples with the liquid mixture.
4. For the streusel topping, mix the flour, brown sugar, oats, and cinnamon together. Cut the butter into small prices and then cut into the mix with a pastry knife or two kitchen knives. Add the nuts.
5. Place the fruit filling in a deep-dish, nine-inch pan. Level the filling. Cover with the streusel topping.
6. Bake for 25 minutes or until the topping begins to brown.
Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until the streusel top begins to brown.

SAUTEED SQUASH AND CARROTS
SERVES 4

2 T. butter or margarine
½ lb. zucchini, sliced
½ lb. yellow squash, sliced
4 carrots, sliced
½ t. seasoned salt
¼ t. pepper
¼ c. fresh chopped parsley

Melt butter; add zucchini, squash, carrots, slat and pepper. Saute 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Stir in parsley.

SQUASH STROGANOFF
SERVES 4 TO 6

3 T. unsalted butter
2 c. sliced mushrooms
1 med. onion, sliced
4 c. butternut squash, ½-inch pieces
¾ c. chicken broth
½ t. tarragon
½ t. salt
Pinch pepper
½ c. sour cream
Cooked rice for serving

Melt butter; add mushrooms and onion; cook until browned - about 8 minutes. Add squash, broth and seasonings. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until squash is tender, about 15 minutes. Stir in sour cream. Serve hot with rice.

SWEET POTATOES WITH MAPLE SYRUP

Bake or boil sweet potatoes until very soft. Mash with butter, maple syrup, salt and pepper. Spoon into a buttered baking dish. Bake 20 minutes, covered. Sprinkle with toasted chopped pecans and mini marshmallows; bake an additional 5 to 7 minutes until marshmallows are slightly toasted.

Man oh man that Cranapple Crumble Mock Pie sounds delicious MamaM!!! Wow with all these neat recipes I am going to have a very different menu this year:D

Hey CanMan where's your favorite Thanksgiving recipe?

And MrsJimmyP?

And Mapiva?

And Jfain?

And Kev?

And Jafo?

And Nan?

And all youz guyz come on now & post away!!!!!

I've already posted some of my favorites in a previous thread. I love corn pudding and also my sweet potato & banana casserole with pecan streusel. Last year I also love to roast a medley of root vegetables rutabega, turnip, beet, parsnip, carrot, potato cut into cubes then tossed with olive oil, garlic, salt pepper and rosemary. It's beautiful and delicious. Then of course I always have to have cranberry sauce. As much as I think I want to try a new one I always make just the simple one because I can't bear the thought of Thanksgiving with out it.

We just had a test dinner a couple weeks ago. My Aunt and I. I was reading in Bon Appetit about salting a turkey the night before (not brining, but salting)..

I was intrigued, so I tried it out and wow, that really does work. Anyway, I will copy it here from the mag:

Herbed salt:

1/3 cup kosher salt

1 1/2 teaspoons dried rosemary

1 1/2 teaspoons dried rubbed sage

1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme

1 teaspoon crushed black peppercorns

3 small bay leaves, coarsely torn

1 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel.

Mix all ingredients together. If you make ahead of time, then put lemon in only before using.

Rinse the turkey inside and out but DO NOT pat dry. Put Turkey into a roasting bag or pan that you can cover. Rub all over, inside and out with the salt mixture. Refrigerate for about 18 - 24 hours.

Preheat oven to 325 and put the rack in your oven to the lowest position.

Rinse the turkey inside and out and pat dry. Continue the way you would normally make your turkey.

So what happens here with the salt you are wondering?

Overnight the salt draws the moisture from the interior of the bird to the surface where it combines with the salt and seasonings. Eventually, that liquid is reabsorbed into the meat, seasoning it throughout.

I was completely amazed at how well this worked. Probably the most flavorful meat I have ever had off a turkey.

Cathy, your sweet potato/pineapple casserole sounds absolutely delish! jfain- yours with bananas sound heavenly as well! And mama- I make my cranberry sauce like your 'old' recipe- but in yours you add baking soda- I wonder what different result that brings about, since I don't add it to mine? Hmmm? I wonder...

janie- your fancy roasted turnips sound yummy- I always do a blanch of carrots/parsnips/turnips and toss them together with a dab of whole butter and chopped parsley- this trio along with brussels sprouts and corn pudding are my FAVORITE Fall veggie preparations, ever.

For Thanksgiving I stay pretty traditional- I think most folks do.

To keep the gang from starving whilst the birds roasts I put out a tray of olives/sweet gherkins/cherry peppers and such, some spiced pecans, and some walnut fudge (and of course- a CHEESEBALL!).

I always brine my turkey overnight in a salted apple juice, then roast the next morning under a rub of kosher salt and pepper- with celery and split lemons stuffed inside bird's belly. Jafo- salting the night before sounds neat- what does it do, make a nice crusty skin?

My stuffing (which is actually just dressing 'cause I don't fill the bird with it- I prefer cooking seperately in a buttered casserole) is made from half stale white bread and half stale cornbread with broth, lotsa sage, onions, celery and giblets.

I serve a 'sweet potatoes royale' which is basically candied sweet pots. with orange zest, mandarin oranges, cranberries, pecans and marshmallows added. And of course mashed spuds too- with gravy.

In addition to blanched carrots/parsnips/turnips we also do the Campbells Soup green bean casserole and a corn pudding- or scalloped corn- as my sister's recipe calls it.

Someone usually brings dinner rolls. Someone else always brings a jello-mold of some sort. And dessert is always 2-3 kinds of pie. Pumpkin and pecan are my favs, but I also like a cranberry eggnog custard pie, and this year for the first time in many years, I hope to do a mincemeat pie like my Mom and Grandma always used to make.

Last edited:
Jafo,
thanks so much for review, I haven't been that impressed with brined turkeys. But, this caught my eye and the science makes sense.
will have to give this a try.
Another plus--it's a royal pain to have a container big enough for brining a bird with any size at all.
thanks again,
Nan

POMEGRANATE PIE

CRUST:
30 ginger cookies, finely crushed (1 ¾ C.)
1/3 c. unsalted butter, melted
Pinch salt

Press into bottom and up sides of 9-inch pie plate. Bake 350* F. for 12 to 14 minutes or until browned and set. Cool on rack.

BOTTOM LAYER:
1/3 c. sugar
1 env. unflavored gelatin
1 ½ c. bottled pomegranate juice
2 T. lime juice
½ t. grated lime rind
¼ c. pomegranate seeds, if desired

Whisk sugar and gelatin together; add juices and rind. Heat until gelatin is dissolved, 5 minutes. Refrigerate 5 minutes (to consistency of egg whites). Stir in seeds. Pour into crust; refrigerate 45 minutes.

TOPPING:
¾ t. unflavored gelatin
¼ c. bottled pomegranate juice
1 ½ c. heavy cream
2 T. sugar
Pomegranate seeds for garnish

Sprinkle gelatin over juice. Let stand 5 minutes to soften. Microwave on high for 20 seconds, until gelatin is fluid. Cool. Combine heavy cream and sugar, beat to soft peaks. Slowly add cooled gelatin mixture. Mound on pie. Garnish with seeds, if desired. Refrigerate 2 hours or longer, until firm enough to slice.

TO PREP A POMEGRANATE: Cut crown end off pomegranate. Lightly score rind in several places. Immerse in bowl of water; soak for 5 minutes. Holding fruit under water, break into sections, separating the seeds. Skim off and discard the membrane and rind, which will float to the top. Pour seeds in colander; drain.

APPLE-PEAR PULL-UP PIE WITH CARAMEL SAUCE

6 large Granny Smith apples
6 large Bartlett pears
1 T. lemon juice
2 c. plus 1 T. sugar
½ c. margarine
Double crust
1 large egg
1 T. water

Use a double crust for a thicker crust; roll into a 15-inch circle and place on sprayed parchment lined baking sheet. When filling, leave a 3-inch border and when pulling up edges leave a 4 to 6-inch circle of fruit showing in the middle. Press folds to secure. Place in lightly greased 9-inch spring form - or try to make it in it so as not to move it. Combine egg and water; brush over pastry; sprinkle with 1 T. sugar. Bake 425* F. for 30 to 35 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with caramel sauce.

Pumpkin Butter

3 C cooked, mashed, or canned pumpkin
2 C sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp lemon juice

METHOD:
Combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pan, stir well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered for 30 minutes until mixture is smooth and thickened. Quickly pour pumpkin butter mixture into hot jars, filling to 1/4 inch from top. Place lids with bands on and process in a boiling water bath for 15 minutes.

Sweet potatoe soufflÉ

This is a dish that is almost as important as the turkey at our Thanksgivings. It is almost a dessert.

SWEET POTATOE SOUFFLÉ

4 1/2 cups sweet potatoes
1 1/3 cups sugar
6 tablespoons margarine
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3/4 cup milk
Dash salt
TOPPING
1 cup self-rising flour
2 sticks margarine
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans

Cook potatoes until soft. Mix all ingredients. Spray a large casserole with cooking spray. Pour mixture into the casserole. Set aside and make topping.
Melt marg. and add flour, pecans and brown sugar. If not liquid enough, add a small amount of milk. Spoon topping onto potato mixture.
Bake at 350°approximately 30 minutes.

I love this recipe Figgenbama, although in my recipe the sweet potato filling also calls for eggs and I believe I bake mine for 45 min.'s, it is soooo good we love the leftovers!!!! I love the crunchy topping on this too, this souffle is so good it is almost a dessert:p

Man I wish it were Thanksgiving allready!

POMEGRANATE PIE

TO PREP A POMEGRANATE: Cut crown end off pomegranate. Lightly score rind in several places. Immerse in bowl of water; soak for 5 minutes. Holding fruit under water, break into sections, separating the seeds. Skim off and discard the membrane and rind, which will float to the top. Pour seeds in colander; drain.

That does sound good. I have another way to seed a pomegranate. You just cut it in half sideways then take a wooden spoon and thwack it on the back until you've wacked all the seeds out. It's really fast and gets out all your frustrations

Ok guys I know not everyone likes duck but Jon and I do. I used this recipe last Thanksgiving and it was delish.

Roasted Sherry Duck

INGREDIENTS:
1 (4 pound) frozen duck
6 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups dry sherry
3 teaspoons dried oregano
3 teaspoons dried rosemary
3 teaspoons dried basil

DIRECTIONS:
1.Thaw duck in refrigerator until partially dethawed. The skin should be soft, but the insides should still be frozen. Take duck out of wrapping, and stab the duck 15 to 20 times. Make sure the stab holes go past the fat and into the meat. This is very important for the marinating process.
2.In a large mixing bowl, mix 1 cup sherry, and 3 tablespoons olive oil. Place duck in the mixing bowl. Spread the sherry and olive oil all over the duck. Cover the mixing bowl, and refrigerate until duck is completely thawed (works best over night).
3.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Remove duck from marinade, and remove the neck bone and the giblets from inside the duck. Spread some of the marinades inside of the duck. Rub the outside of the duck with 3 tablespoons olive oil and oregano, rosemary, and basil. Pour remaining 1 cup sherry into bottom of roasting pan, and place duck in pan.
4.Roast for about 30 minutes per pound (cooking times may vary.) Baste every 30 to 45 minutes.

I might make a ham this year for Thanksgiving with sweet potatoes and green beans with almond slivers just keep it simple, pumpkin pie or cake for desert. Cookie :)

Back