What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pumpkin custards

MsMai

PUMPKIN CUSTARDS

3 eggs
1 16-ounce can pumpkin
1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
1 4-ounce container non-dairy whipped topping
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 cup chopped pecans
Non-dairy whipped topping
Finely grated orange rind

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray 12 6-ounce custard cups with non-stick vegetable spray.

In a medium mixing bowl, beat eggs lightly. Stir in pumpkin, milk, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, vanilla, and orange rind. Fold in whipped topping. Pour into prepared custard cups.

Bake for 20 minutes or until sides begin to set.

In a small mixing bowl, combine brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in pecans. Sprinkle over custards.

Bake 10 to 15 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Serve warm topped with whipped cream and grated orange rind.

Thanks MsMai, I've been thinking lately about pumpkin recipes. I think I'm about to go on a pumpkin bender.

Thanks MsMai, I've been thinking lately about pumpkin recipes. I think I'm about to go on a pumpkin bender.

Mind if I join you Jfain? I adore pumpkin!!!

Thanks MsMai for the recipe!

I never carve our Halloween pumpkin, we paint our faces on and then we use the pulp after Halloween to make many pumpkin pies during the holidays! I just hate to waste a perfectly beautiful vegetable!

substitute

Does it have to be a non-dairy whipped topping?

I always substitute real whipped cream for cool whip type products in recipes. It always works just fine. Real whip cream may have more calories but I feel that since it's natural it's still probably healthier.

I sub real whipped cream for the other stuff in desserts, but can not recall where one was baked with it??

I was thinking since it is to add fluffyness (word?) here, could one maybe whip two of the egg whites stiff with a bit of sugar and fold them in? Like in a chiffon pie.

Hmmmmmm,
Nan

Back