What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Favorite Jell-o Mold?

chubbyalaskagriz

Jell-o molds are kinda like cheeseballs- many folks get a kick outta laughing at them! But I admit- I have enjoyed MANY a cheesball and jell-o mold in my day!

Every Thanksgiving my l'il sister makes the same jell-o mold my Mom always made- and we LOVE it.

It's cherry jell-o, a can of cherry pie filling, an 8oz. brick of cream cheese torn into tiny bits, and a cup or so of pecan halves- then the whole thang if "frosted" with MIRACLE WHIP! As gross as it sounds- we are ADDICTED and none of our clan can imagine a holiday spread without it.

Does your family have a fav tradional holiday jell-o mold or salad- or am I the only one belonging to a group whacko enuf to admit it? :eek:

I often make gelatin desserts. Especially in the summer. I have a basic guideline recipe that I use below then I just experiment. I've done mango with bits of coconut throughout, I've done iced tea gelee with raspberries floating in it, I've made one from prosecco with peaches and pomegranate juice with pomegranate seeds. All completely delicious. I think though these desserts serve a different purpose at my house. It's not a holiday thing. I make them because I love to eat some kind of dessert every day and if I can make one that also has some health benefit with out a lot of calories I'm all over it.

Basic gelee

5 cups juice
3/4 cup sugar
3 (1/4-oz) envelopes unflavored gelatin

Preparation
Combine 1 cup juice and sugar in a small saucepan and sprinkle with gelatin. Let gelatin stand 1 minute to soften.
Cook over moderate heat, gently stirring occasionally, just until sugar and gelatin are dissolved. Remove from heat and stir in remaining juice. Pour into a 5-cup mold and chill, covered, until firm, at least 8 hours.
Dip mold in hot water a few seconds, then invert a plate over gelée and flip gelée onto plate.
Cooks' note:
• Gelée may be chilled (in mold) up to 2 days.

Last edited:
My very favorite jello dessert uses a flavored jello such as Raspberry 1 qt. vanilla ice cream stirred into the hot jello and then just chill it, fruit of choice can be added, and it is so good!

Jell-o

:) Hey... I was just thinking about jello, I'm going to make orange flavor jello with a can of crushed pineapple in juice, a can mandarin orange segments drained. Top it off with whip cream & orange, black sprinkles on top .

A favorite of mine is pistachio pineapple delight : 1 PKG.4 SERV. JELLO PISTACHIO FLAVOR INSTANT PUDDING & PIE FILLING 1 CAN (20 ONCES) CRUSHED PINEAPPLE IN JUICE, 1 CUP OF MARSHMALLOWS 1/2 CUP CHOPPED NUTS 2 CUPS THAWED COOL WHIP STIR IN PUDDING MIX, PINEAPPLE, WITH JUICE, MARSHMALLOWS, NUTS IN LARGE BOWL UNTIL WELL BLENDED GENTLY STIR IN WHIPPED TOPPING. REFRIGERATE 1hr. serves 8 Cookie :)

Last edited:
Both of these sound great!

I love pistachio, Cookie!

Hey- Cath... I never thought of adding ice cream to jello bfore! If one used orange jello- that might taste kinda dream-sickle-ish! YUM!

Hey..... I Love that idea orange jello with ice cream that sounds good!! Cookie :)

Last edited:
Back