What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi, I am new here

L

ladybosssharon

I bit about me. My mom was an awesome cook, I don't think she ever met a food she couldn't cook or a recipe she couldn't adjust to my father's tastes. I now have most of her old cook books and I tend to follow her but, I need some help!
I am looking for help in finding ingredents that can be subbed for fish sauce or oyster sauce. I am very allergic to iodine
Thanks,LadyBossSharon

Depending on the recipe - you can use soy sauce or Worcestershire sauce (same measurement as fish sauce called for in recipe -

or -

For 1 tablespoon fish sauce use:
1 tablespoon soy sauce mixed with one anchovy fillet, finely minced

or -

This sauce is very close to fish sauce:
2 Tbsp Chinese fermented black soybeans*
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 tsp sherry
1-2 Tbsp miso

Combine soy sauce and sherry in a small bowl. Optionally rinse off
salt from the beans. If you have a garlic press, press beans directly
into soy sauce mixture otherwise just put beans in the sauce. Let
this sit for at least 10 minutes so that beans get all soft. Mash
together and add miso. When ready to use, strain out solids. I'm not
sure if letting the mixture sit longer deepens the flavor but it
probably does.

*The fermented black soybeans can be found in and Asian market.
They are not the same as the black beans you would use in a black
bean soup. These are coated with a white salty layer and I bought
them in a bag from the nuts/spices section of the store.

I hope this helps.

Thank you

Thank you so much, I'll be getting the beans tomorrow and trying this.Awesome!!!

Welcome to our Forum Ladybosssharon (or may I say LBS?) I am glad you found us as it may be a good fit for you. We are all about sharing, and learning, and sometimes just goofing around and having some fun:) Hope you will hang out with us a while and find out if you'd like to stay and be in on all the adventures in "foodie fun"!!!

Back