What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oyster Risotto

shipscook

sorry girls, will explain some day. It is really good. I used fresh jarred oysters and it was was just actually only a little bit too much for a dinner for me.
But, it would be so cool on the shells.

The oysters were pretty big (I prefer small ones), I cut them in
half, except for one, which I dusted with some panko and did a quick
saute in butter. Used this dude as a garnish with some of the
chopped tomato.
I used a sauv blanc instead of champagne and water cress in place of
arugula.
Enjoy,
Nan

From Heinz Beck, perhaps the greatest chef in Rome:

Risotto with Oysters and Champagne

7 oz Carnaroli or Arborio rice

3 ¼ cups chicken broth

Scant ½ cup champagne

1 oz butter

20 oysters

1 plum tomato, peeled, seeded & diced

10 small arugula leaves, chifanaded

Salt

Shuck the oysters, retaining the top shells. Transfer the oysters
and their liquid to a non-reactive bowl.

Heat ¾ oz of the butter in a pan big enough to accommodate the
risotto. Add the rice, stirring to thoroughly coat all of the grains
and allow them to toast. Introduce 1/3 cup of the champagne, allow
it to evaporate and then begin adding the boiling chicken broth a
ladle at a time. As soon as the rice has absorbed the liquid, add
more broth, stirring continuously.

Repeat the process until the rice is cooked but still al dente. Add
the remaining butter, arugula, diced tomato, oysters, and remaining
champagne. Complete cooking, about 2 minutes, salting if necessary.

Divide the mixture evenly in the oyster shells and serve hot.

Serves 4 as a first course.

From Heinz Beck, Heinz Beck, Bibliotheca Culinaria, 2002.

Last edited:
Jeesh Cathy, you are on to me Halloween Hugs to both of you!!!!!!! I am off in a bit to judge costumes at the Moose Lodge. I haven't
been out on Halloween for years.
Nan

Nan,

I love various risottos, but I confess- I don't care for oysters. Though, I wish I did- 'cause those who like them seem to REALLY love them! Should I still try this? I'm just a wee bit antsy about it... k.

actually, I have thought about doing it with scallops or shrimp. I love oysters, but they aren't always available.
One of my favorite risottos is simply some shallots sauteed with the rice, vegetable stock or chicken if you rather? Finsh it off with a couple of splashes of cognac. Had it at a lovely, tiny cafe in Rome. Could not believe how easy it was to duplicate.

Nan

0h This sounds wonderful Nan, no matter the protein used. I love oysters I think though I have been unlucky with them yhe last few times I have had them:( or as I have got older thay no longer agree with my system, I would imagine this recipe would be just as lovely with Scallops!

How did the costume contest go? I hope you had a blast!

I had not been out on a Halloween night in over ten years. Last times was in from sea or camp and got conned into bartending--bad night (as is New Years Eve) people who aren't usually out are, hence amature night!! And on halloween you have the makeup and masks to deal with. people who forgot ID and on and on.
But it was a blast, was amazed at the clever costumes, but would you believe we got down to basics--the winner was an incredible Frankenstein, and adorable gnome was next and a delightful witch. Was torn, one gal was a cigarette girl, remember old, old movies. several others that made us wish we had more prizes.
and a happy note, one of my cancer fighting friends was out--always been slender, very thin, but is having a hopefully final chemo and feeling good and positve. she is notorious for wearing leopard prints---would you believe she had a witch outfit complete with pointy hat--you got it leopard!!!!
hope you had fun too,
Nan

I love oysters and risotto. I splurge every once in a while and buy some. Do you think if you wanted to do this on a budget you could use smoked oysters?

Back