What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garden ravioli soup

D

dianncy64

Merry Christmas

GARDEN RAVIOLI SOUP

6 cups Chicken broth (can use 6 chicken bouillon cubes & 6 cups of water, boil water & add cubes>chicken broth)
¼ teaspoon oregano
¼ teaspoon basil
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon parsley flakes
1/8 teaspoon black pepper (2 shakes should be good enough)
1 shake red pepper (sparingly)
1 medium carrot (shredded then cut) about 1 cup
1 can (14 ½ oz) whole stewed tomatoes (cut them up, >pour into a bowl-use a knife to cut each stewed tomato(s) in half)
1 cup small cheese ravioli’s or tortellini (use half the bag, more than 1 cup)

Note: Do not add salt to soup, it will cause the soup to have a salty taste. See below: Helpful Hint.

Optional vegetables

1 zucchini skinned and sliced medium
1 yellow squash skinned and sliced medium
½ can red beans, drained (a little less than ½ a can is best)

Note: Optional vegetables should be added, enhances the taste of the garden ravioli soup

Step1

In a large pot mix chicken broth, oregano, basil, garlic powder, parsley flakes, black pepper, red pepper, shredded carrots and cut stewed tomato's.

Step 2

Cook above broth over a medium-high heat, heat to a boil. Stir while adding ingredients, until boiling.

Step 3

Add the ravioli’s. Reduce heat to a medium. Stir. Cook for 15 minutes.

Step 4

Add optional cut/sliced vegetables, cook on low for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

If the soup has a salty taste: Add 1 skinned/peeled raw potato to soup, cook for 20 minutes, this will eliminate the salty taste, then remove the potato. Stir soup. Cook an additional 5 minutes. Serve.

Helpful Hint:

If any broth/sauce/soup that tastes salty. The raw potato soaks up the excess salt and will remove the salty taste. ALWAYS cook the broth/sauce/soup with the raw skinned/peeled potato for 20 minutes, most importantly: remove and discard raw potato from broth/sauce/soup).

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds good. I have all of the stuff except the whole stewed tomatoes. Closest thing I have is a 14 1/2oz can of tomato sauce.

Jglass,

You really need the stewed tomatos or you can used diced tomatos ~ When I buy the stewed tomatos I put them in a bowl and use two steak knives and in a criss cross action I dice them, slightly, works for me.

Cookie,

I'm glad you like this soup and I hope you enjoy the others ~ I make these series of soup through out the year ~ If I had my way ~ I'd eat soup daily

mm that sounds so good. I know I love home made soup nothing like it!! You have such great soup recipes you really do. Cookie :)

Thank you ~ I love soup, and I eat it all year round and I live in AZ where the hottest days can be 117 degrees (it's a dry heat) ~ What I find as funny is some have said to me "it is so hot out and you're eating soup??!!!!! While they are holding a cup of hot steamy coffee, mind you :) I just love soup period, it's great and along time ago I got tired of canned soups so I started making my own and they are so much better ~ though I'll never ever knock canned or boxed soup because I ate them for years, still do, but HOME MADE that is just something else.

I have been to Sedona AZ before "Red Rock" mountains before we really liked it Beautiful place!! The people in AZ are really friendly. I know it's really hot there but it's a dry heat right? 117 wow that's HOT!! I bet you get used to it. I live in Chicago and it gets really cold and you just really have to dress for it. Winters can get really long.... It's defenently "soup" weather in the winter but I eat soup all year round to. I haven't made many home made soups, mostly chili, beef stew.

Thanks again for all the soup recipes.. they all sound so good! Cookie :)

I ABSOLUTELY love Sedona ~ It, to me, is one of the most beautiful and breath-taking places in the world. I'm originally from NJ and moved to AZ in 1981, I've adapted somewhat but I REALLY MISS THE SEASONS ESPECIALLY AUTUMN my favorite ~ I miss the crisp cool Autumn nights ~ you can smell the Autumn and it's beauty in the leaves colors. I am use to the hotter weather only because no humidity. I'd take NJ weather in a heartbeat of AZ but my family is here and so I stay.

That is a long time. I Love the Fall to, it is really a Beautiful time of year. It's also a messy time with all the leaves changing and falling!! Cookie :)

I agree, but I have to admit, I'd rather clean the colorful leaves then still wear shorts in the fall and look at the majority of my view which is desert: brown, light brown, and tan, bits and pieces of white ~ Yes there are trees and greenery but, most people have rock front yards (mostly brown) and green belts are few and far between, once in a while I'd like to see a Red house or a Blue house with front porches: green grass lawns, unique looking houses instead of row houses that are brown or shades of brown ~ reminds me of the mud huts on Gilligan's Island ~ Definitely not saying all of Phoenix is brown but 78% of it is, I just want color in the desert. I WANT SEASONS ~ I'D LIKE A WHITE CHRISTMAS WITHOUT DRIVING TO FLAGSTAFF. I miss NJ

Awesome, jglass, please let me know how it turns out ~ and I truly hope you enjoy it ~ my older sister Connie loves it.

OK THANKS, I will think of you when I'm raking the leaves and shoveling the snow, and scraping ice and snow off my car. lol

I really do know what you mean I Love the change of seasons they are BEAUTIFUL! I have lived in Chicago my entire life. If we could only have a month of winter it would be better!! Sorry you miss NJ. Cookie :)

Back