What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My friend aajay at FK posted this recipe:LOUISE'S SPINACH PIE

D

dianncy64

My friend aajay recipe: LOUISE'S SPINACH PIE

Merry Christmas

My friend aajay at FK posted this recipe:LOUISE'S SPINACH PIE

Louise’s Spinach Pie

My mother made this recipe often in the 30s and 40s. It was a favorite snack for my brothers and me. Both my sons are addicted also. I have never seen it in print in any Italian cookbook. I've also only met one person in my 82 years who had even heard of it, besides my family, of course. So, here's to you,Mom!

Filling

4 10 oz pkgs. fresh or frozen spinach or mixture
2 cans anchovies with oil, chopped (trust me)
1 can pitted black olives, coarsely chopped
1 or more chopped garlic cloves
2 or more T. olive oil
black pepper
1 tsp. capers if using flat anchovies (optional)

Steam or microwave spinach till wilted. Drain thoroughly, pressing out excess moisture and chop coarsely. Soften garlic in oil but do not brown. Add spinach and turn in oil over low heat to coat and further evaporate moisture. Add anchovies and olives and mix thoroughly. Season liberally with black pepper. Let cool and fill pastry lined pan. Cover with second round and cut slits for steam to escape. Bake in 400 degree oven on bottom shelf until crust is nicely browned, about 45 minutes. Serve lukewarm or at room temperature. (Amount of anchovies, olives and garlic may be adjusted to taste, but do try to use some anchovy, even if you think you don’t like the flavor)

Pastry

3 c flour
1 c shortening or lard or mixture
½ tsp salt
½ tsp black pepper
8 to 10 T. ice water to form dough
Mix as usual, chill dough, divide in half and roll out two rounds for 9 inch layer cake pan. Alternative: use frozen crust or mixes. Also makes two large calzones using 2 c bread dough recipe. ( you can use bought crusts but they all have some sugar in them and I just don't like that taste with the spinach)

Last edited by a moderator:
Kev, you are welcome, I know I am going to make it for the first time on Thanksgiving, I am a spinach lover too

Back