What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Novice cook

Max Sutton

Hello,

My username is "Max Sutton". I'm retired and living in a small town in northern California foothills.

I've only been cooking and baking for the past two and a half years and I LOVE it.

I live in a one-bedroom apartment so I have a small kitchen compared to some home owners.

I love watching cooking shows on the Food Network to get tips, techniques, and recipe ideas. My favorites are Guy Fieri on Guy's Big Bite and Tyler Florence on Tyler's Ultimate. I also love to watch 30 Minute Meals with Rachel Ray. I have found that watching Giada De Laurentiis cook on Everyday Italian was very helpful when I first started cooking. She is a wonderful teacher in that she shows and explains why she uses ingredients.

Hello Max welcome to spice place. I used to live in a small apartment and know how frustrating it can be sometimes just trying to find some counterspace for a bowl but you can still create some wonderful meals. What is your favorite food to cook?

Hello Max,

I agree with you on watching Giada De Laurentiis ~ I watch her daily (tivo) and I have recreated some of her recipes. My favorite thing to bake is bread ~ then pies. I try to make a new recipe every other week, then if it's good, I incorporate it in my regular meals.

Nice to meet you and I hope you'll share some recipes and or try some posted and give your feedback.

dianne

Hello and welcome. I hear your pain when it comes to a small apartment kitchen lol. My husband and I live in a one bedroom apartment and my kitchen is tiny.

My favorite foods to cook...

Hello Max welcome to spice place. I used to live in a small apartment and know how frustrating it can be sometimes just trying to find some counterspace for a bowl but you can still create some wonderful meals. What is your favorite food to cook?

Cooking for one can sometimes be a challenge. I find that I'm mainly making soups and stews in my crockpot and baking casseroles in my oven. I enjoy eating my leftovers so I make a big batch of soup or stew. Once in a while I'll bake a Bundt cake. I don't want to add any weight so I really watch the sweets.

I like to tweak a recipe until I feel it is just the way that I like it. I must have adjusted my traditional beef stew recipe a dozen times. I really like the taste of my beef stew recipe now and may leave it alone.

I have about 55 cookbooks in my collection. I search them to find new recipes to try. Then I copy the recipe onto a 4 X 6 recipe card.

I enjoy reading posts on cooking forums to get new ideas.

I have a ton of cook books too. I have a whole cabinet in the kitchen lurching under the weight of them. My new favorite is one by Jamie Oliver. He has really come a long way since Puka Tuka. What is your favorite cook book?

My favorite cookbook?

I have a ton of cook books too. I have a whole cabinet in the kitchen lurching under the weight of them. My new favorite is one by Jamie Oliver. He has really come a long way since Puka Tuka. What is your favorite cook book?

I don't have a favorite cookbook in my collection.

I have collected recipes from a whole host of cookbooks. After I make a new recipe that I like I tweak it to make it mine.

Howdy Max,

...and welcome. As you have seen already, we're a friendly group- full of wit and wisdom- or at least whackiness and know-how learned thru much trial & error! We're glad you're here! We come from all regions, all walks of life, and together we combine to make one heckuva melting-pot! One is not "new" here for long- so hang out and enjoy! smiles- kevin (chubbyalaskagriz)

Back