What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Inexpensive Homemade Gift Pack Idea

chubbyalaskagriz

Well, I went w/ my sis to Crate & Barrel today and bought several pairs of beautiful over-sized holiday enamelware coffee mugs. (Normally $18.00/pair marked down to just $3.00/pr.!) So my plan is to mix-up a big ole batch of simple instant hot-cocoa mix, bag it up with fancy bows & ribbons and include a pair of the bright & cheery colorful mugs w/ ea. bag of coco mix- and maybe even join these w/ a pair of fun chocolate-dipt, peppermint-sprinkled plastic spoons to make the hot cocoa extra-cheery! Something like these will be neat to have on hand for those folks who unexpectedly gift us w/ l'il things at the last minute...

Instant Hot-Cocoa Mix

2 1/2 - 3 c. sugar
3 c. nonfat dry milk
1 lg. jar coffee mate
1 1/2 t. salt
1/2 t. powdered vanilla
1 1/4 c. cocoa

Mix by tablespoonful with hot water. Store in airtight container. Makes approximately 4 pounds.

Sure Cath... I just nuke some semi-sweet or milk choc morsels until thick and sludgy, then dip the spoons into it. At this point, lay onto wax paper to dry- or sprinkle with crushed peppermint disc candies, or toffee dust, while still wet if you like, then cool until choc is solid. When ready to give as gifts, either wrap in clear paper or place in a clear bag and tie w/ ribbon. Use to stir your mug of hot cocoa- the choc melts off your spoon and makes your beverage extra-yummy! Of course, you can also do this w/ stainless or silver spoons at home for fancy teas or fun brunches or some such.

A member of my family receives Food Stamps and has no money for gift buying, I told her to buy cans of nuts, jars of olives, summer sausage, and cheese and boxes of crackers and fix them in some nice baskets that I will help her purchase from the $$$ Store and give for gifts. This suggestion made her very happy.

Heck she could make any kind of basket for that matter....fruit, cookies, candy etc.

I hope she will get one for me too:D I love food gifts!!!! Geesh I might as well admit it I just love food:eek:;)

RE: "A member of my family receives Food Stamps and has no money for gift buying"

Cath, does she have an "Aldi's" grocery store in her neck of the woods? We have them here and they are fantastic. Their prices are typically lower that ANY other store- even the Super Wal-Mart. MANY items for a buck, etc. A regular grocery store that carries about everything. They carry many off brands, so some of their items are a little "questionable" in quality at times, so one has to try and sample everything- some items are fine- others I won't buy again. But item for item a cart of groceries from Wal-Mart that would cost a hundred bucks, would only cost maybe $60.00-$70.00 at Aldi's! This time of year they also have some good gift items...

No Aldi's here but we do have Sav-a-Lot it is alot cheaper. But you gave me more ideas and when I talk to her next I will put her onto Big Lots and the Dollar Tree, I just have no idea if they accept the Food Stamps!

Well, I went w/ my sis to Crate & Barrel today and bought several pairs of beautiful over-sized holiday enamelware coffee mugs. (Normally $18.00/pair marked down to just $3.00/pr.!) So my plan is to mix-up a big ole batch of simple instant hot-cocoa mix, bag it up with fancy bows & ribbons and include a pair of the bright & cheery colorful mugs w/ ea. bag of coco mix- and maybe even join these w/ a pair of fun chocolate-dipt, peppermint-sprinkled plastic spoons to make the hot cocoa extra-cheery! Something like these will be neat to have on hand for those folks who unexpectedly gift us w/ l'il things at the last minute...

[/I]

I had the same sort of idea. I have 15 people who work for me and I wanted to do something for them with out breaking the bank. I went yesterday moring to the Dollar Tree. I finally found one near me. I found the nicest mugs. They are white with a black reindeer and woods scene on them. I'm going to fill then with homemade gluten free nuts and bolts like my grandmother used to make. Our string on chex mix gave me the idea.

Yes the Dollar Tree has some neat little items and you can fix them up into cute and nifty little gifts that don't break the bank!!! I paint and so many in my family have received Watercolor paintings over the years when $$$ was tight.

Yes the Dollar Tree has some neat little items and you can fix them up into cute and nifty little gifts that don't break the bank!!! I paint and so many in my family have received Watercolor paintings over the years when $$$ was tight.

That's another thing we have in common then. I went to Art school so I also have given some of my works to people over the holidays. They are always extremely well recieved. I just need to get busy now and do some more for my own house.

I just need to get busy now and do some more for my own house.

I know the feeling :eek:

That is neat that you went to art school! Where did you attend? I am self-taught, but I love the medium of watercolor, next acrylic. I haven't delved into oils much, I dislike that they take so long to dry:mad: I like the watercolor blocks from Michael's as they are so easy and you don't have to prep the paper you just start painting then tear the finished painting off the top layer when you're done. I just love watercolor best! Just got to remember to save those white areas;)

I went to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh. I like designer's guash. It's water soluable but the colors are more saturated than with water colors.

I have a Dollar Tree near me and even though I THINK my holiday shopping is complete- who knows- I may have to put together a whole new list of recipients if I find some cheap treasures there that I am unable to resist!

Back