What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shell Pecans faster?

I picked up enough pecans for a pie on Sunday, only trouble is they are shelling out so slowwww, anyone got any ideas on how to shell them faster? I will never get them all shelled in time to make a pie at the rate I am going!

And my fingers HURT and have turned a dingy shade of dirty:D

I find that getting a couple other people to do the work makes it go much faster and easier.

"Place nuts in a damp place overnight to prevent brittleness of the kernels during cracking. Some home food preservers recommend soaking pecans in boiling hot water for 10 minutes or microwaving 2 cups of pecans in 1 cup of water for 5 to 6 minutes on high. Shell nuts, keeping kernels as nearly whole as possible, using a nutcracker or simply a hammer. Spread pecans in a thin layer to dry for 24 hours. "

I'm older now - times are different. Now I "cheat" - buy them already shelled. And I'm not paying for the weight of the shells, it saves on time and energy.

The only nuts I crack are the ones I put out to snack on. It's too much of a hassle for baking.

I put my shelling time in during this life - probably enough for all of you and all your families for generations to come.

cheating Mama..........

Thanks CanMan for the excellent tips I have never heard of that before! I am going to give it a try.

Hope your Thanksgiving turns out to be nice!

I cheat too and buy them shelled....but my Mother in law gave me 2 lbs of shelled pecans so I didn't even have to buy any.

:)CanMan your instructions worked terrific!!! I just pulled my pecan pie [& pumpkin pies] out of the oven! Thanks a million. I wish we lived next door I'd be bringing over a piece of fresh pie for you! Take Care, Be Happy, and God Bless You!
Cathy

Happy Thanksgiving

May your stuffing be tasty
May your turkey plump,
May your potatoes and gravy
Have never a lump.
May your yams be delicious
And your pies take the prize,
And may your Thanksgiving dinner
Stay off your thighs!

Happy Thanksgiving

My father in law sits with a small hammer and hits them one at a time - but he has the patience of an ox.

The rest of us, put two together in our hands and push them together, each using the other to break the shell.

Hope this helps!

Shelling Pecans faster

I know this is too late for anyone in the northern hemisphere, but pecan season is about to start in Australia and I was looking for some secret hint to make shelling these nuts easier.
I have heard about the boiling method, but didnt know u had to let them dry for 24 hours after doing so. I'm going to try that this year :) thanks Canman.
As to the actual method of shelling, i try to crack the cap off both ends and then work on cracking the rest of the shell - u might lose a little of the ends of the nut doing this, but it makes it way easier to get the rest of the shell off.
I dont buy any pecans, i just pick em up from random trees i spot around the district (i dont think many Australians would recognise a pecan tree if it fell on them).

That is funny that many Aussie's would recognize pecan trees! I actually use the pecan cracker and apply pressure to the pecan from both top and botton and then gently crack the shell around the middle and they slide out easily enough - often in whole pieces!

I don't have any tricks either, but like Aussie m8 I don't buy any pecans either. I'm fortunate to have an old pecan grove here in town at the town park. They're free. It's surprising how few people seem to know the trees are there. I picked up 2 five gallon buckets full this year.

I don't know about pecan nuts but I can tell you that this works with brazils.

Bring a pan of water to the boil, enouth to cover the nuts, drop in brazil nuts, leave to boil for one minute, tip into a seive, run under cold water, hey presto easy peel brazils

If you want the the brown inner skin removed from the nut simply boil the nuts for two minutes.

By the way can anyone put me in touch with a site that sells walnut keys.
I used to have a few of them, the bags of walnuts would be supplied with a key. Not any longer, back to the nut cracker now, slow and tedious.

By the way can anyone put me in touch with a site that sells walnut keys.
I used to have a few of them, the bags of walnuts would be supplied with a key. Not any longer, back to the nut cracker now, slow and tedious.

There may be a possibility of finding one on E-bay:confused:

one thing i have learned thru trial and error about picking up pecans is if they still have the outer hull attached, don't waste time or energy picking them up, won't have any meat in them.

Back