What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GRITS saying "Hello"

D

Dixie Girl

Hi ya'll,

I'm a traditional Southern cook, who hangs on for dear life to the recipes my Grandmother Mimi used. My sis, Terrie (a master chef), has done her best to bring me into the present "gourmet" side of cooking. We have a local catering company (she cooks, I handle business end) we publish a food newsletter locally, but I have finally convinced Sis to go on the web. :) While I use recipes to the letter, my Sis NEVER uses one and even makes up recipes that are out of this world. Problem is, she guards those recipes with her life, think it's a "chef thing":rolleyes: I like the friendliness of the threads I've read and hope I can add some "old time favorites" to my recipe book on this site, and maybe put in my two cents worth occasionally:) Our company Dixie Girl Culinary Creations is small peanuts on the web, (it's a new area for us) but I assure you we take cooking as serious as our Southern manners! I look forward to "talking" with you more.

Bless your Hearts,
Julie

Hi Julie and Bless Your Heart too, I am glad you've come to join us here at SP and we always love our newbies and get excited when you join! It is exciting to see another Southerner and fellow "Country Girl" several of us here are country to the max and some of us aint, but no matter what we are all bound with the wonderful gift of being "Foodies". We love to share recipes and knowledge and look forward to your in-put here too. You have a very wonderful job, I'll bet you will be busy this next month!

WELCOME JULIE, CCCathy

P.S. I love grits, have you ever made fried grits? At a gourmet restaurant we used to eat at in Fairhope, Alabama I once had fried grits topped with some crunchy itsy bitsy fried okra, it was a unique side and so tasty! This chef at that restaurant was excellent and his imagination knew no bounds!!!

Last edited:
Hello Julie. My name is Janie and I I live in Kentucky. I and am a southern cook myself. Welcome to the forum.

First, to Janie, thank you for your warm welcome. I will remember your name easily since it was my grandmother's. (Her last name was Middleton, of the Charleston, SC family)

Second, to CC Cathy, I love your username, I think of Chitty Chitty Bang Bang every time I see it:p. No, I have never had the pleasure of fried grits (they sound delicious) I have cooked many times baked cheese grits, our beloved lowcountry shrimp and grits and even an old recipe Mimi had for grit muffins (taste on the order of a corn muffin)

I am very excited to join and thank you for being so kind. I'm glad to have found fellow "Steel Magnolia's" here.:)

Julie

When you get a hankerin' for grits done differently try this ya' all will love 'em!

Take left-over grits and place them into a square container and place into the refrigerator. When you want fried grits remove the cold grits from the fridge and slice into individual serving size slices, the fry them in pure butter or canola oil until very nicely browned flip and brown other side, salt & pepper. Remove from frying pan and drain briefly on a paper towel and serve. Makes a wonderful side dish with just about any fish or meat or breakfast plate!

Thanks CC Cathy:)

I will make these before the week is out;) I can't believe I've never run into them before, just goes to show this website is invaluable and fun to boot:)

Julie

Back