What's new
Cooking Forum

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Southern Pecan Pie (no Kayro in it)

D

Dixie Girl

This is my grandmother's recipe and the only pecan pie I will eat. It doesn't have any Kayro syrup in it but does have vinegar (not sure why). It bakes up with a crusty top and is divine:) Thought with Christmas around the corner someone might like to try it since it makes two pies. (Tried to post under "ingredient of the week" but said I wasn't permitted to, but I have a couple other pecan recipes I will try to find somewhere to post:)

Mimi's Southern Pecan Pie

1 stick butter
3 tbs. flour
1 box light brown sugar
1 tbs. milk
3 eggs, beaten
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. vinegar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 Ritz pie shells (the small ones)

Melt butter and let cool. Mix flour, sugar, milk eggs and beat well. Add chopped nuts, vanilla, vinegar and butter. Pour into crusts and put in cold oven. Bake 1 hour at 300*

Julie

:D I had never heard of a pecan pie with out syrup! I will give it a try, hey it may even be better for you since it lacks all the extra calories from the syrup! Thanks for sharing!

anyone know if this is ok for a diabetic person to eat plz let me know i got an uncle that loves pecan pie but cant eat mine because its to sweet

mikaty9,

Honey,I'm not a doctor;), but I also have a recipe for a diabetic pecan pie and the sugar ingredients include 1 cup light syrup and 1/2 cup splenda which in my recipe it has a box of light brown sugar which I believe is about 4 cups?

My grandfather was diabetic but controlled it with diet and and maybe a pill, but I know for a fact he never turned down Mimi's pie:p (I have diabetic recipe by default but have never tried it)

Still, I can't tell you with certainty if it will be ok for him. Maybe someone else can shed more light on it:)

Julie

ok I will make the pecan pie without the syrup and see if he likes it, but i would also like the recipe for diabetics as well and see which one my uncle likes better.

Thanks again

For diabetics you will just want to keep it low on the glycemic index. I wonder if you could substitute corn syrup for agave syrup? That is much lower on the glycemic index.

Mikaty9,
Here's the diabetic pecan pie:)

2 tbs. butter
2 large eggs
1 cup light syrup
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup Splenda
1 tbs. flour
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup pecans
1 unbaked 9" pieshell
1/2 tbs milk

Melt butter and cool. Add in order, eggs, syrup, salt, Splenda, flour, vanilla and butter. Beat mixture until blended. Stir in pecans until coated with mixture. Pour into pie shells. Bake at 350* for aboout 45 minutes to 1 hour.

Julie

Thanks

I have been looking for a pecan pie recipe for the longest...i am going to try it...hopefully it works out like I want it to

Back